The Difference Between a Bill and an Executive Order

24 Nov 2014 09:13 #11 by jf1acai

If you're interested, I did find a couple of articles that explain it better, but even they tend to use the executive order and executive action interchangeably.

I am interested, because it doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2014 09:21 #12 by ZHawke

jf1acai wrote:

If you're interested, I did find a couple of articles that explain it better, but even they tend to use the executive order and executive action interchangeably.

I am interested, because it doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Me either. Here are the links:

www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/posts/201...on-immigration-hudak

www.uscis.gov/immigrationaction

The second one, especially, pretty much gives the impression these executive actions will have the full force and effect of law. If that is true, then the President should be ashamed. If it's just hortatory, then the hoopla is something he should clarify in the interest of full disclosure. Either way, he needs to come clean, and so does Congress. They both also need to get off their high horses and enact viable immigration reform on a bi-partisan level, something a majority of Americans feel needs to be done from what I understand.

24 Nov 2014 10:23 #13 by ZHawke
I just came across this article: www.natlawreview.com/article/president-s...-analysis-what-it-me

To me, it's frustrating from a perspective of administrative "guidance" with no "new regulation" is being discussed as mandates in the fishbowl of public opinion.

President Obama needs to come clean on this and tell it like it really is, and Congress needs to back up their train and pass their own legislation as far as I'm concerned.

24 Nov 2014 11:07 #14 by jf1acai
Thank you for that - I think ;)

The more "information" that comes out about these "executive actions" on immigration, the more obvious it becomes that obfuscation rather than transparency is the intent.

With all the new regulations, memoranda and agencies being created to implement these "executive actions", I find it difficult to see how Congress can be expected to produce "a bill" or a series of bills quickly, or even at all, to straighten out the convoluted mess that these "executive actions" will result in.

I cannot believe that this is anything other than deliberate.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

24 Nov 2014 11:16 #15 by ZHawke
Well, according to the last article I provided, there's a distinct difference between "guidelines" and "regulations". That's where the obvious obfuscation is as far as I'm concerned.

I agree - this appears to be deliberate. But I'd go so far as to say it is deliberate equally from both the Administration and the Congress. I can certainly see how some would view the President as acting like a king/monarch/emperor, etc., as a result of these actions because that's the impression he gives by not being completely transparent in his executive actions. I can also see the Congress being just plain stupid in their lack of action on immigration reform. They ALL need to step to the plate and do their jobs. This issue has been a problem for decades. Other former Presidents have tried to do things to address it, both Republican and Democrat. So I'd not lay blame solely at Obama's feet here (although he is a big part of it, IMO).

24 Nov 2014 11:34 #16 by Blazer Bob

ZHawke wrote: I can also see the Congress being just plain stupid

Hurray, common ground. :cornucopia:

Actually on this issue I do not think it is stupid. It is a recognition that if they do what they want (or do what they are bribed to do) they would be voted out of office.

When Dole was leader they tried to slip a bill through in the dead of night but were stopped by the bi-partisan outrage of the populus.

Anyway, that is how I remember it.

24 Nov 2014 17:57 - 24 Nov 2014 18:27 #17 by LOL
A Bill is a former horny president who allegedly had a sordid affair with a cute young intern, but it wasn't really sex, depending on the meaning of the word IS.

An Executive order is when the POTUS goes out campaigning on Air Force One, at the tax payer's expense, for a nice photo op and someone orders and pays for his lunch at Chipotles, so he looks like a "regular guy" who really gives a flip about the poor "little" people.

Any more questions?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

24 Nov 2014 22:15 #18 by Rick

LOL wrote: A Bill is a former horny president who allegedly had a sordid affair with a cute young intern, but it wasn't really sex, depending on the meaning of the word IS.

An Executive order is when the POTUS goes out campaigning on Air Force One, at the tax payer's expense, for a nice photo op and someone orders and pays for his lunch at Chipotles, so he looks like a "regular guy" who really gives a flip about the poor "little" people.

Any more questions?

Thanks for the laugh !

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds