STANLEY,SUNDANCE and stunning sums of people

05 Apr 2024 10:16 #1 by homeagain
coloradosun.com/2024/04/05/stanley-hotel...405&utm_medium=email

In a couple months, up-and-coming movie directors and their staff will gather at the Stanley for the Sundance Institute’s Directors Lab, a prestigious training program that included first-time filmmaker Quentin Tarantino in 1991. The Directors Lab landed at the Stanley Hotel with $300,000 in incentives from the state’s Strategic Fund, film office and tourism office and $450,000 in incentives from the hotel’s owner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Apr 2024 14:42 #2 by FredHayek
Do you like the idea of Colorado paying to encourage film makers to shoot in our state? Normally I would say no, but Colorado depends on tourism and films/ TV series shot here tend to encourage visits.

Right now there is a TV show called "Resident Alien" that pretends to take place in a small, Colorado mountain town, but the show actually shoots in British Columbia. (They do use real Colorado scenes for some of the exteriors, I think Telluride. )

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Apr 2024 08:08 #3 by homeagain
I am ambivalent about this issue...one aspect is ,of course, increased attention and notoriety.which is a two sided blade. I live one 1/2 hrs from Telluride. The traffic is obscene on Hwy550 (much like 285 )......ski season (our airport had increased twofold and has made great strides in improvements) MORE DIRECT FLIGHTS,MORE PEOPLE...then u have summer recreation,hiking and biking, then u have the leaf peepers,HWY 550 is a main artery (unlike Estes Park,I think)....the town is very small (Estes Park ) and when the masses inundate into the town, I can't even comprehend the "pressing of flesh"......YES.$$$$$ is a huge consideration,BUT when a ignorant idiot shot and killed the town's ambassador ELK,I have grave concerns about the quality of life in Estes park .....it will decrease dramatically and the "charm'' of the once old and cherished area will have been lost forever.....(it has already headed that way years ago, it will be far worse.)JMO........I think the bottom line is.....here on the western slope , the geographical region is LARGE and in Estes Park,u r dramatically reduced in size.

06 Apr 2024 11:40 #4 by FredHayek
Great points. Tourism is an essential part of the Colorado economy but how much is too much? I was in Quebec City a few years ago and our carriage ride guide was complaining about all the tourism. The city scheduled an event every weekend over the Summer and Fall. Locals were requesting at least one weekend off per month. (We were there during their yearly marathon, plus leaf watching.)
Venice and Amsterdam and even Florida Beach towns were asking themselves the same questions.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds