TWNETY FIVE and too numb to care.

20 Apr 2024 08:48 #1 by homeagain
mailchi.mp/coloradosun/sunriser-11225092?e=86d8ec5269

We mourn the 13 victims of the Columbine High School shooting today and sadly reflect on what has — and has not — changed in the past 25 years. For many, the shock of that day still reverberates, amplified by the hundreds of school shootings since then.

I heard the end of innocence echo in the voice of my then-9-year-old daughter that day as I picked her up from school after a day directing coverage of the tragedy for The Associated Press. She already knew what had happened. Everyone did.

“Will we have a shooting at our school?” came a small voice from the back seat of the car. It still breaks my heart that I could not honestly give her the words she craved.

Today, we share reflections on Columbine from three writers.

I ABSOLUTELY remember this raw and real tragedy.....I was sitting in a motel room in ANCHORAGE,ALASKA,having just arrived there two days ago. My husband was at work and I was waiting for the realtor call,to set a time for touring homes for us. I was stunned and could not wrap my mind around the scenes playing out oh the tv screen.......TWENTY FIVE YEARS and how many thousands of deaths later,we r STILL MOURNING MURDERS OF CHILDREN......what IS WRONG???? R WE THAT NONCHALANT AND NUMB???? Apparently that is our m.o. now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Apr 2024 09:12 #2 by FredHayek
Why did Klebold and Harris, UMC white males, privileged, choose to shoot up their school and eventually kill themselves?

And if the media had not spent twenty five years obsessively covering the story, would we have had less copycats?

That morning, the footage was shown live around the world. Even shock jocks like Howard Stern were commenting on the shootings.

Imagine instead a world where you would have read a one paragraph story the next day in most of the world.

People claim social media is horrible, but so is regular media at times.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds