Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice

13 Dec 2015 21:19 #1 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2015 07:34 #2 by FredHayek
Normally I am not much of a fan of Superman movies, but a coworker says this is going to be more like the Dark Knight graphic novel written by Frank Miller. Would love something that is more dark.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

14 Dec 2015 13:56 #3 by ScienceChic
Same here!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jan 2016 10:23 #4 by ScienceChic
Batman getting all threatening and Superman all arrogant. I like it because I can't wait to see how they overcome that to form the Justice League!

26 Jan 2016 21:43 #5 by ScienceChic

28 Jan 2016 22:27 #6 by Rick
I guess I'm a superhero purist because when I first heard about this movie it sounded like a really dumb idea. But I'm getting used to the idea and can imagine some good mental stuff, not so much the physical battle. Guess I have to go to it now but still haven't seen Star Wars because I've been so disappointed in many of the other ones.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Feb 2016 07:58 #7 by FredHayek
The film in theaters will be rated "PG-13", but the DVD will get an "R" rating. Brilliant marketing by the studio to encourage fans to both watch the movie and buy the DVD. Unless the audience decides to just wait for the DVD... :popcorn:

24 Mar 2016 08:47 #8 by FredHayek
The critics appear to hat this film, only scoring 33% on the Rotten Tomatoes website. The director Zach Snyder isn't a critical favorite but I really like his stuff. Fingers crossed this will still be good.

24 Mar 2016 11:54 #9 by ScienceChic
After I read this opinion piece, I totally lost all interest in going to see this because she nailed it. Don't read on if you want to stay excited about the movie.

Why 'Batman v Superman' will be terrible, by a Superman fangirl
By Aliza Weinberger
March 20, 2016

This Friday, March 25th, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters in the U.S. It's a sequel to 2013's Man of Steel with at least triple the superhero protagonists. The studio's intention is to kickstart a whole new franchise of DC Comics-based movies.

But as a lifelong Superman fan — the target audience, in theory — I find myself with low expectations and raised hackles.

The first problem is that Batman v Superman is helmed by the same director who gave us the mess that was Man of Steel, Zack Snyder. Though Snyder claims to understand his subject, his actions speak louder.

“People are always like ‘You changed Superman.’ If you’re a comic book fan, you know that I didn’t change Superman." Snyder said recently. "If you know the true canon, you know that I didn’t change Superman."

As someone who spent her entire teen years immersed in Superman comics, I had to say: Challenge accepted, Snyder. Read on to discover why you're wrong.

All of her points are great, and backed up with examples from the comics, but this is what hit home for me:

In the comics, Supes and Bats have come into conflict, very briefly, a few times. Most of the time they are not only colleagues and teammates, but very close friends. Friends who respect each other and would die to protect each other.

But yes, instead of exploring friendship, let's have them fight. Because violence for the sake of violence is all moviegoers want to see, right?

If they've never truly been enemies in 75 years of comics, it's probably because they're not meant to be.

But two superheroes fighting each other because one, a man in a powered suit thinks the super strong one must be under government oversight? We're about to get that plot in Captain America: Civil War, but with better build up and an actual basis in the comic books.

Caution: spoilers in review below
Quint has seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice!
Published at: March 23, 2016, 4:16 p.m. CST by quint

28 Mar 2016 07:37 #10 by FredHayek
:( It was pretty bad. Some of the scenes were done really well, but the film never really convinced me that Batman & Superman were enemies of each other, and the fight ended for an inane reason too. BTW, our theater was mostly empty so maybe people don't really want to see Batman and Superman tangle. Highlights? Wonder Woman's cameo, would love to see her movie take place during World War I. Flash and Aquaman also had little teasers.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds