Some Quick Tutorials for the New Forum Features

27 Jun 2014 18:09 - 28 Jun 2014 18:01 #1 by ScienceChic
To upload a YouTube video, highlight only the unique identifier text (for example, the gobbledeegook in red after the "v=": www.youtube.com/watch?v= bQ2A6ZlxLD0) and click on the film icon up above (4th from the right).

Click on Provider, then scroll down until you find YouTube (look at all the video choices we have now!), and select that. Paste the unique identifier into the box just to the right of that, then click Insert Video.

Voila!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2014 18:15 #2 by ScienceChic
To upload a photo, Click the "Add File" button underneath the text box after the word "Attachments". Then Click Insert and Submit.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

27 Jun 2014 18:25 - 09 Jul 2014 23:33 #3 by ScienceChic
Something that was requested a long time ago was the ability to Rate Posts, or Thank members for really good posts that they made (rather than just posting a "Like" emoticon).

Along with that is Karma, where you can rate your fellow members' posts (only one karma per 6 hours so choose wisely! :) ) with the hope that we will all use this to make this a more fun, rewarding experience here on the forums. Not just to bump up your friends, or push down those with whom you don't agree, but to use it in the spirit in which it is intended - to foster genuinely good, helpful, productive conversations and debates.

Here's how!

Attachments:

27 Jun 2014 18:38 #4 by ScienceChic
Add a table:
Bengals 2014 RecordBroncos 2014 Record
11-513-3

I predict that will flip-flop this season!

Attachments:

27 Jun 2014 18:42 - 27 Jun 2014 18:46 #5 by ScienceChic
Add spoiler text that is hidden until clicking on it to reveal it! Type the text you wish to hide, highlight it, then click the button below:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

It works the same way for the text that you can hide from Guests, or people viewing the forum while not logged in.

Attachments:

29 Jun 2014 21:23 #6 by jf1acai

ScienceChic wrote: To upload a photo, Click the "Add File" button underneath the text box after the word "Attachments". Then Click Insert and Submit.

Maybe "oldtimers disease", but I still can't figure out how to post a photo from my computer directly to the forum. Or is that not what you meant by "upload a photo"?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

30 Jun 2014 07:21 #7 by pacamom
When you start a new post there is an area under the message box called Attachments.
Click in the empty box and it should bring up explorer view from your computer.
Pick a file, double click on the file name, or single click and then click on open.
The file name should appear in the box next to the number 1.
Then click Insert. (light grey box over to the right of add file, remove file insert

Then preview or submit
Attachments:

30 Jun 2014 07:38 - 30 Jun 2014 07:48 #8 by jf1acai
Trying again...

I think I see the problem - there is apparently a file size limitation - with a large file I get a Fatal Error was detected message. I was thinking (hoping) it would automatically resize large files, or give an option to do so manually (Hey, I can always dream can't I? ;) ) . Would be nice to know what the file size limitation is. Maybe I missed that somewhere.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy
Attachments:

30 Jun 2014 19:02 #9 by ScienceChic
There is a size limitation for picture dimensions, but it will re-size it (max is 800x800 pixels here). It rejects them if the file size is over a certain MB, and I thought I'd check so I could tell you exactly, but I'm seeing 150kB which I know isn't right because my image above is 1MB. I'll check with the developer. I've also been having issues with png's sometimes, even though they are supposedly allowed.

I just tried posting two png files in the First Post thread as a test, and it accepted the 1st one fine, but not the 2nd. I exported that 2nd one to a jpg file and re-uploaded it here and it worked fine. Apparently some glitch is occurring, I'll put it in the queue for checking.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds