× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

My Mountain Town 2014 Pick 5 Contest!

29 Aug 2014 07:59 #11 by Rick

RenegadeCJ wrote: Do we even want a pick 3....that really seems to make no sense. Seems like quite a few did both last year, why not just stick with picking 5.

Thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't participated much in the past but I think if there were two contests, I would use the same teams from my pick 3 for my pick 5 anyway. Unless of course another generous donor wanted to offer another prize :cheer:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2014 08:49 #12 by RenegadeCJ

pacamom wrote: But I didn't win the pick 5 last year. :td:

I think having only one contest is fine. Gets you off the hook (sort of).

Now I have to think of themes in 5's not 3's. May be a little harder this year.

I guess I AM off the hook! Lucky me! (until I get dragged back in!)

Yeah, lets just do the pick 5, especially since this is the one where the prizes are.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

29 Aug 2014 09:03 #13 by ScienceChic
Works for me, we had both last year because some people didn't want to pick 2 more teams and we were testing it out. Yes, those who participated in both I think did use the same teams, just picked the three they were most confident about for the Pick 3. Hilariously, I was in it for the Pick 5 until a couple of weeks from the end, but I was :flushsmiley in the Pick 3 the whole time - apparently my confidence is bass-ackwards. :idontgetit: :biggrin:

So if we don't do the Pick 3, then I'll toss the LED lightbulb I was saving as a prize for that one into this prize package as well. Renegade, would you be willing to help with posting the opening lines since I am dumb about that (although I like those other two sites LOL recommended - they make it pretty obvious so even I could figure it out!)?

Speaking of those, do we want to change the site we use for opening lines - did anyone else compare them? Or choose one and a backup if there are issues with the 1st? Did everyone like the one we used last year or not? I'm up for discussion on that...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Aug 2014 13:17 #14 by pacamom
For the most part I picked different teams for the pick 3 and pick 5. If I had the picks wrong in one, I may have been better in the other.

We need to stick with one site for opening spread. If we pick one and then a backup, someone along the course of the season will complain about the opening spread and want to use the backup. Since covers was awful last year (although quite beneficial sometimes) we should change.

30 Aug 2014 06:31 - 30 Aug 2014 06:51 #15 by LOL

ScienceChic wrote:
Speaking of those, do we want to change the site we use for opening lines - did anyone else compare them? Or choose one and a backup if there are issues with the 1st? Did everyone like the one we used last year or not? I'm up for discussion on that...

I really don't know which site is the best or consistent, but here are some choices. I agree with Paca, we should pick one and stick with it, too hard to change the rules. :)

www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

www.covers.com/odds/football/nfl-spreads.aspx

matchups.nbcsports.msnbc.com/ALL/odds/index.html

www.cbssports.com/nfl/odds

I kinda like the cbs sports page, easy to read. I noticed they are not all the same open, for example the Broncos are -6 -7 -7.5 depending on which site.

Also, if Renegade is keeping scores, I think he should decide what site he prefers to use?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Aug 2014 08:58 #16 by Blondie
Whatever site you pick please choose one that puts the odds out on Monday, and then doesn't change them throughout the week. That way you can pick every game on Monday, and forget it.

31 Aug 2014 18:07 #17 by LOL
If I remember the odds are usually out on Tues AM after MNF is over??? My memory is fuzzy these days though. LOL

Check out this site for another idea. Office Pool APP! I doubts its really free though and I hate signing up on web sites.

www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/games/office-pool-manager

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

02 Sep 2014 08:36 - 04 Sep 2014 05:36 #18 by RenegadeCJ
Didn't see anything official, so figured I'd go ahead and post the spread, since the first game is 2 days away! As always, let me know if I goofed up!

Week 1 Opening Spreads
www.covers.com/odds/football/nfl-spreads.aspx
Make sure you pick before game time!
If labeled "OFF", line hasn't been posted. I'll update when I see it.

Thursday, Sept 4th
Green Bay @ Seattle -6

Sunday, Sept 7th
Buffalo @ Chicago -6.5
Washington @ Houston -2.5
Cincinnati @ Baltimore -2.5
New England @ Miami +3
Tennessee @ KC -5.5
New Orleans @ Atlanta +3
Minnesota @ St. Louis -5
Cleveland @ Pittsburgh -5
Oakland @ NY Jets -4.5
Jacksonville @ Philly -11.5
San Francisco @ Dallas +3.5
Carolina @ Tampa Bay +3
Indy @ Denver -7

Monday Sept 8th
NY Giants @ Detroit -4
San Diego @ Arizona -3

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

02 Sep 2014 18:35 - 02 Sep 2014 18:40 #19 by LOL
Where is the VIKING? I'm going to kick his butt this year! :)

LOL just kidding.

Pay back time!

I wanna pick Seattle but WTF is the spread?

Go Broncos!

02 Sep 2014 21:07 #20 by The Viking
I loved the pick 3 too. I would gladly do both.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds