Tesla: Self Driving Car In Three Months

22 Mar 2015 20:56 #1 by FredHayek
Rumor has it that Tesla will upgrade the software in their cars so that they will be self driving in 90 days. Will self-driving cars change how vehicles are thought of? Why pay sixty thousand dollars for a Mopar Hellcat when you won't be driving it? Will most cars be simple econo-boxes when the thrill of driving is gone?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Mar 2015 21:54 #2 by ScienceChic
Will it change how they are thought of? I don't think so yet. It will be a gradual switch to self-driving cars I'd bet, although there are many out there who should let someone/something else do the driving.

Econo-boxes? Nah, there's too much to spend in the comfort options and the gadgets - there will still be high-end and affordable models.

I would be scared s***less the first time I let it drive me, but highly interested in how they do! To think I could work/text/call while driving as well - sweet!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Mar 2015 22:53 #3 by otisptoadwater

ScienceChic wrote: <snip> Econo-boxes? Nah, there's too much to spend in the comfort options and the gadgets - there will still be high-end and affordable models.

<snip> To think I could work/text/call while driving as well - sweet!

I am thinking along the same lines. The mobile office will become that much more mobile and productive if none of us have to fret about traffic and driving the vehicle to get where we want to go. Safety is the other issue that comes to mind and I am of the opinion that it's almost always better to let the bleeding edge technology become well understood before I adopt it. There are a lot of potential abuses that could come to be if/when it becomes possible to control a self driving car without the owner's knowledge or consent.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Mar 2015 07:20 #4 by FredHayek
Torchwood had an episode about self-driving cars used against owners. A evil multi-national sold self-driving cars, if reporters wrote articles attacking the corporation, their cars would drive them off bridges.

Good point SC, instead of econo-boxes, people would be caring more about comfy seats and laptop plug-ins than horsepower and cornering ability. In some ways, I would want to keep my hand on the steering wheel, but driving I-80 from Denver to Omaha sounds like a perfect time to hit the auto-pilot.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Mar 2015 12:34 #5 by PrintSmith
One can only hope the "OFF" button never disappears from choices allowed. The very thought of giving my safety over to a bunch of software developers makes my skin crawl. I'll take my chances with vehicles operated by flawed humans please . . .

24 Mar 2015 19:07 #6 by Rick
As a car guy myself, I hope I'm dead before I am forced to give up the controls to a computer. That said, I think urban clusterf**ks would be ideal for these cars since it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the day for thousands (I-25 is the moron expressway). But to put this technology into a car that's fun to drive is just dumb.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Mar 2015 19:34 #7 by gmule

Rick wrote: As a car guy myself, I hope I'm dead before I am forced to give up the controls to a computer. That said, I think urban clusterf**ks would be ideal for these cars since it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the day for thousands (I-25 is the moron expressway). But to put this technology into a car that's fun to drive is just dumb.

I think this technology can be real useful on long road trips.

BMW self park

Tesla is not the only one with this tech either. Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, etc all of the manufactures have some form of lane assist and blind spot detection that is ground work for self driving vehicles.

24 Mar 2015 23:15 #8 by Blazer Bob

gmule wrote:

Rick wrote: As a car guy myself, I hope I'm dead before I am forced to give up the controls to a computer. That said, I think urban clusterf**ks would be ideal for these cars since it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the day for thousands (I-25 is the moron expressway). But to put this technology into a car that's fun to drive is just dumb.

I think this technology can be real useful on long road trips.

BMW self park

Tesla is not the only one with this tech either. Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, etc all of the manufactures have some form of lane assist and blind spot detection that is ground work for self driving vehicles.

Humbug. I will wait for this.

25 Mar 2015 07:12 #9 by Nobody that matters

PrintSmith wrote: One can only hope the "OFF" button never disappears from choices allowed. The very thought of giving my safety over to a bunch of software developers makes my skin crawl. I'll take my chances with vehicles operated by flawed humans please . . .

I'm a software developer with over 20 years experience in lots of different coding shops. I agree with PS completely.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 Mar 2015 08:49 #10 by LOL

Nobody that matters wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: One can only hope the "OFF" button never disappears from choices allowed. The very thought of giving my safety over to a bunch of software developers makes my skin crawl. I'll take my chances with vehicles operated by flawed humans please . . .

I'm a software developer with over 20 years experience in lots of different coding shops. I agree with PS completely.

Sorry PS, although I agree, its already way too late for newer cars. Drive by wire, ABS, ESC stability and traction control, electric motor power steering. The computer, code, and sensors are already between you and the vehicle "outputs".

At best, you could yank the battery cable with your hand, and apply a mechanical emergency brake. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds