New Bailey CBD specialty rec dispensary to open please SUPPORT!

20 May 2015 21:19 #11 by crodell
Printsmith,

Id be happy to answer your questions and i think i can help you understand where im coming from as far as the strategy of the business and my opinion of where the market is going. Please be patient as these answers are kind of long. I contemplated starting a medical only store but the fact is, less people are getting their red cards because of the hassle of going to the doctor. Most people that do get their card renewed now are either growing for themselves or are looking for a slight discount but for most people it isnt worth the hassle anymore since the recreational side is only 15% above the cost of medical. Im not sure if medical licenses will be offered in a few years as the state loses a lot of money. On top of these concerns, the 70/30 issue of maintaining perfect records and monitoring total inventory each month in and out, and where it comes from, along with restricting how many plants are grown based on the number of patients is a nightmare, especially when employees are trying to keep all the numbers straight in a very confusing software system that has not been fully developed to work out all the kinks. This tends to lead to discrepancies in the actual inventory vs the computerized version. If a patient decides to move caregivership from the center to somewhere else, the center must kill the plants immediately. The plants need to be kept separate from medical and recreational in a dual licensed premisis. Medical cannot wholesale to other dispensaries either, unless it is the 30% you dont need yourself, and in this case only to other medical facilities that have a need and are already supplying 70% themselves. A shrinking number of medical stores means less potential to wholesale. With a medical counter and a recreational counter running in the same facility, separate inventories need to be kept and this is also very confusing to anyone working there. More than any other reason, this dual system, or even the medical system working by itself is restrictive and very confusing. As a result, id rather offer the same discount the state charges so medical patients can use my dispensary without the confusion. This way if you have a card, you come in i pay for the tax difference, and avoid the potential loss of license, and eternal headache. I should also add that the MED is very strict as they should be but any discrepancy at all can lead to a facility losing their license. What is sold in a "medical shop" vs a "recreational shop" is identical except for the MG allowance for thc in edibles. other than this, its merely a question of how records are kept and how much tax it paid. Medical actually sells higher dose edibles, along with thc bud, and the like but rarely even has cbd oil available.

Therefore, i will be running a "rec store" but it will be just like it is both medical and rec. The other advantage to running a rec store is being able to wholesale to other stores all over colorado without any stipulations. This operation will not be cheap, and i cant count on Bailey alone to pay the bills. At least at first to maintain operations, I will need to wholesale a significant portion of what i grow. The county will profit in taxes from these transactions and instead of having massive inventory sitting around i will be much more liquid and able to pay bills.

I want to grow most of the garden as CBD strains, but just starting, around half will be THC strains, half cbd. since the oil is extracted from cbd plants that i grow, and the bud itself does not have nearly the effectiveness, if i only offered cbd, there would be nothing else on the shelf. From the demand in CO for CBD, I expect offering this will drive a lot of business from other parts of the state, from families and individuals who cant get the oil anywhere else. I will also be offering at a much reduced rate. Around half the cost. (the extraction companies charge 50% fee for processing, which really drives up the price to the end comsumer, but also the demand makes shops greedy as people are willing to pay whatever to get what they need.) Based on changing demand, I will shift the plants grown and I expect the shift to be towards the CBD end. I am not trying to create another pot shop, i am trying to serve the community and the state as a whole but getting there and staying in business need to be mutual considerations until i can reach the day that the CBD demand is large enough to shift almost entirely to CBD, keep about 10-20% Thc strains, and not wholesale anything.

I started working with CBD a few years ago, and from seeing what its potential is I am determined to bring it to the public but it takes a little feeling out to get there. Now that you understand a little of my thinking process, i can get down specifically to your questions. The rec shop will offer a full range of thc bud, cbd bud, and a few edibles. I am not a fan of edibles in general and will not offer high dose THC edibles, nothing more than around 15mg which is 15/1000 of a gram. Cbd oil on the other hand is sometimes needed in larger doses as the body tends to acclimate to it, and in some treatments, such as a cancer treatment, patients sometimes consume up to .5 to 1g per day. Most people for most pain, or seizures, or neuro regeneration dont need more than .05g, so 1 g would last almost a month. Remember that CBD is non psychoactive though, and does not get people "high." Normally a gram of CBD oil costs around 150-200/gram. I will be offering for around 75/g. If the laws allow someday for me to open an extraction company, i will do that and bring down the cost even more. As for methods of extraction, patients will have different desires and as such i will have the oil extracted in a few ways. The wax and shatter are thc based, and are made from the trim from THC bud that is grown. Because of the terpenes, and the general quality, these will be processed with butane. Nothing else extracts the flavors and terpenes as well. Using vac ovens the butane levels can be brought down to 1-7 parts per million. Thats .00000001-.00000007% remaining butane. If the TJ woods is allowed to operate, depending on what methods they use, i will use them or someone else. Different licenses are harder to get depending on the flammability of the extraction process. If i need to go to denver i will, but i will have it processed using alcahol, as well as a butane extraction with the butane removed using vacuum ovens. I would need to do more research to see if CO2 is a possibility. If it is as effective, i would not use butane extraction but rather Co2 as the CBD is consumed, not smoked. This would be a healthier method. Also please note the grow is organic this has a huge effect on the cleanliness and flavor of all products.

Hopefully from this answer you can understand exactly how confusing the whole thing is. Im working with whats available and the current laws though to make everything as simple and available to the consumer as possible. If you have further questions, or want me to elaborate on any specifics just let me know. I do appreciate your questions, as im sure many other people have similar concerns. One of the more difficult things to get people around are the rec/medical differences and why rec shops are everywhere and medical is harder to find. Trust me the medical laws are way too complicated to try to work with, and i dont have time to run every transaction behind the counter along with managing patient counts and growing everything. Even if i did, im sure i would still mess up. I would quit in a week. You might have noticed that sunrise solutions lost their medical license, and i can almost guarantee it was because of discrepancies in their inventory system, or too many plants at any given time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2015 13:36 #12 by PrintSmith
We're off to a good start here cromell. I appreciate the candor and the attempt to fully explain your intentions.

Boiled down to its essence, what I perceived from your reply was that you are hoping that you can make a go of it with primarily CBD, but you are hoping to set up shop as a retail sales operation in case the market for CBD doesn't materialize for you and you are expecting that the high THC low CBD retail strains are going to be 50% or more of your sales at the beginning. You are hoping that this won't be the majority of your business for very long, but you are hedging your bets, just in case. You are not a fan of edibles, but you will be selling them subject to the new restrictions recently enacted regarding maximum THC dosing.

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly about the old Reggie's Will O' Wisp location is attractive to you and made you think it would be a good location for your operation to set up shop.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your plans for signage, if you plan on having an illuminated sign, and if you do plan on an illuminated sign what form of illumination (internally lighted, externally lighted or perhaps a variable message LED setup) and whether you plan to keep that sign lit during non-business hours and the type of lighting (florescent, LED, Halogen) you anticipate starting out with.

I'll also offer up some commentary of my own, just so you don't feel like the Spanish Inquisition showed up at your door. (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! <bonus points if you are familiar with the reference>). I don't necessarily blame you for planning to sell the edibles given that they represent 40-50% of the retail market, but truth be told, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I knew that they wouldn't be among your offerings. You really are not a fan of edibles, and to tell you the truth, neither are the majority of people who are less than pleased about your plans. And unless I am mistaken, and please correct me if I am, when you say you aren't a fan of edibles what you mean is that you think they're bad for the "rec" industry in general, not that they aren't your personal cup of tea.

And, to be brutally honest with you, my acquired cynicism for this industry makes your CBD spiel ring a bit hollow in my ears. It has the same feel to it that the arguments to establish medical marijuana did. All the talk about helping people who had no other options, and that only people with chronic conditions would be eligible for the card while at the same time making it possible for someone with a bad hangnail to get a card in the actual text of the law that was being voted on. I'd like to be able to take what your saying at face value, but I'm having a difficult time doing so. Best way to describe it I suppose is I feel like I'm talking to a used car salesman who is trying to talk up the lot queen and saying what they think I want to hear about the vehicle so I'll be more inclined to buy it while at the same time trying to convince me that the audible engine knock isn't something to be concerned about. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, I'm saying that's what it feels like to me, and I'll be the first one to admit that my cynicism for the industry might have a lot to do with it.

But I also want you to know that I really am appreciative of you taking the time to discuss all of this with me and I hope you will continue to do so.

21 May 2015 15:13 #13 by jf1acai
:like:

As a cancer patient to whom the possible use of marijuana for pain relief has become a very important subject, I would like to thank crodell and PrintSmith for their very informative posts on this topic.

The information you are providing is very helpful to me, please continue!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

21 May 2015 15:58 - 21 May 2015 16:06 #14 by headlock2000
Please help me understand some things.Park county says the revenue generated by these shops does not amount to much,in fact they says it cost the county money every time one is open.I am assuming the cost of policing and
the cost of approving these shops cost more then they will ever generate.Also i believe that between the 2
shops already here that you can get whatever you want just by asking Josh or people at the happy camper.
I do not believe that adding another shop is going to generate any more revenue.I think people will shop .
at the store they like the most and the same amount of dollars will be spent just split between the 3 shops.
Does any body think people are traveling long distances to buy with all the shops in this state.As far as the.
whole sale items from any of the shops or grow houses does it work different then any other wholesale
business,because when you sell wholesale you do not collect tax.If your real passion is making the medicine
why not cut a deal with a shop that is already open

21 May 2015 18:35 #15 by PrintSmith
Just like retail alcohol there is an excise tax collected at the time a retail shop purchases marijuana from a wholesaler. In Colorado the first $40 million the tax generates is set aside in a school construction fund. The tax has yet to raise $40 million dollars a year thus far, the last figure I saw on what the school construction fund was going to receive after the first full year of retail sales was on the order of $10 million, but that was a while ago so it might have ended up more than that. The State of Colorado levies a 10% additional sales tax on the retail sale in addition to the regular 2.9% sales tax and the tax on sales of anything, not just marijuana, in Park County is 1%.

And unless I miss my guess crodell is hoping that being the first shop over the county line will help him capture business. After all, who wants to drive further than they have to for anything? I'm also betting that the location being sought is hoping that the immediate access to 285 will bring some business from people headed to the high country for the weekend during the summer. Some might have forgotten their supply at home when they left, others might make an impulse purchase because they stopped to check out the store. I asked that very question of crodell so it will be interesting to see how accurate my WAGs are.

As to the last, well, crodell knows that it is going to be less expensive to grow his own feed stock than it would be to purchase it from someone else and then process it for the CBD. That and growing one's own feedstock gives more complete control over it, so I'm guessing that is why he wants to obtain the grow license for the location as well as a retail sales license.

21 May 2015 21:12 #16 by headlock2000
So 1% is directly for park county and the rest is state wide tax is that right.Also if anybody knows if the
grow house he would send it to down the road has to set up any type of fund for environmental problem they
will cause.

21 May 2015 23:43 #17 by crodell
this reply is for printsmith:

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly about the old Reggie's Will O' Wisp location is attractive to you and made you think it would be a good location for your operation to set up shop.
*Its the best location possible for a retail location. Its right off the highway and has good exposure. Its commercial, which is one of the few zonings that are acceptable, its layout is perfect already. The grow will go on the left side, of the building, and the building has vaulted ceilings. The right side is already sectioned off and has good space for a check in room with extra space for some chairs and a tv for anyone that is with a customer but doesnt want to go in. Also there will only be allowed 2 or 3 customers in the main lobby area so they get better customer service and the experience is more private. its already gutted so renovations will be slightly cheaper. Its right over the jefferson county line, and since jefferson county does not have dispensaries, it will be the first one people drive by. Its not in or within a 1/4 mile, or any other businesses such as child care facilities, etc which the county does not allow. Really the number of properties that will actually be able to survive, combined with zoning requirements and other distance restrictions is pretty hard.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your plans for signage, if you plan on having an illuminated sign, and if you do plan on an illuminated sign what form of illumination (internally lighted, externally lighted or perhaps a variable message LED setup) and whether you plan to keep that sign lit during non-business hours and the type of lighting (florescent, LED, Halogen) you anticipate starting out with.
*Interior lighted dual sided sign using the already existing sign posts. I respect light pollution issues, im a resident myself and love the stars. I would have the sign off by 8pm and the open sign goes off at 645.

I'll also offer up some commentary of my own, just so you don't feel like the Spanish Inquisition showed up at your door. (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! <bonus points if you are familiar with the reference>). I don't necessarily blame you for planning to sell the edibles given that they represent 40-50% of the retail market, but truth be told, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I knew that they wouldn't be among your offerings. You really are not a fan of edibles, and to tell you the truth, neither are the majority of people who are less than pleased about your plans. And unless I am mistaken, and please correct me if I am, when you say you aren't a fan of edibles what you mean is that you think they're bad for the "rec" industry in general, not that they aren't your personal cup of tea.

*what i mean by im not a fan really is that i dont partake, i dont like the way eating concentrates makes me feel- groggy, sometimes anxious depending on how much is consumed. Everyone has different reactions though, and a lot of people need edibles to make them hungry if they dont want to put smoke in their lungs, say people undergoing chemo. Many people use it to sleep. Consuming edibles is more effective and long lasting than smoking. Anyone taking enough to get messed up wont like the results. Spinning, anxiety, etc aren't fun. The packaging is getting much better and at 15mg per dose each person has to learn their own body. I would always recommend starting less than 1/3 of any edible tried the first time and giving it an hour before having more. Much like alcohol, a little bit can be strong or weak depending on a persons size, personal chemistry, and tolerance. Packaging is getting better but it is always the responsibility of adults to keep things like this from children, just like it is alcahol, or prescription drugs. All in all edibles are fairly safe and its what the people want so I will be offering them. They are much much safer than alcahol or any perscription drug.

And, to be brutally honest with you, my acquired cynicism for this industry makes your CBD spiel ring a bit hollow in my ears. It has the same feel to it that the arguments to establish medical marijuana did. All the talk about helping people who had no other options, and that only people with chronic conditions would be eligible for the card while at the same time making it possible for someone with a bad hangnail to get a card in the actual text of the law that was being voted on. I'd like to be able to take what your saying at face value, but I'm having a difficult time doing so. Best way to describe it I suppose is I feel like I'm talking to a used car salesman who is trying to talk up the lot queen and saying what they think I want to hear about the vehicle so I'll be more inclined to buy it while at the same time trying to convince me that the audible engine knock isn't something to be concerned about. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, I'm saying that's what it feels like to me, and I'll be the first one to admit that my cynicism for the industry might have a lot to do with it.

*I can see where you're coming from and the best answer i can give you is from another perspective. Those people who need marijuana are out there, and they are many. The people who can benefit and have a higher standard of living is almost everyone. People who comsume cannabis or smoke it live 3 years longer than people who dont, and are half as likely to go to the emergency room in any given year. Seriously these are real statistics. Im guessing it has to do with how relaxed, open and happy it tends to make people. Is it really right to throw people in jails and prisons, which feeds the largest population of incarcerated people per capita in the world of any country? Nearly half of all people in prison are there for marijuana related crimes. In order for something that should be legal to get there people have to expel the ideas that this stuff is bad. In order to come to this point in legalization, is it really so bad that it became legal for people who it makes a 1000% increase in quality of life who have say cancer, and people who only benefit with a 20% increase in quality of life then jump on the train because they have been using it anyway and they dont want to go to jail for it? It helps a lot more people than you may think in a lot of ways. People who really really need it are there too. The pharmaceutical industry is massive, and most people are damaging their livers and dying using them. Look up the statistics for prescription drug overdoses, many of which are due to mixing medications or allergies. Every day in America 44 people die of prescription drugs. How many people died in the last 10 years using marijuana? Well depending on how you define dying- overdoses? 0 This is the same definition the above statistic is drawn from. Im sure many more people jumped from buildings and died on perscription drugs that are not listed in that statistic.

Thank you for your great questions keep em coming

21 May 2015 23:55 #18 by crodell
So 1% is directly for park county and the rest is state wide tax is that right.Also if anybody knows if the
grow house he would send it to down the road has to set up any type of fund for environmental problem they
will cause.

*No environmental damage at all. The water will be delivered, and all drain waste will be stored, removed, and treated. Also, since all i will be using are natural organic materials such as sea kelp, guano, earthworm castings, coco, dirt, neem oil from the seed of the neem tree, garlic, humics, oyster shells, and the like there wont be a problem. Also using organic materials and mixing in dirt, the amount of water consumed is about 70% less than any other method. Organic growing actually costs less, but yeilds less than other methods so the overall cost can be said to be higher. However the effect on the environment is nothing like what you would find on a commercial corn farm or most produce today. No pesticides are used. Even mildew can be killed by creating and maintaining certain natural bacilli in teas that both feed the plants and fend off disease. My goal is to create a natural environment where all aspect feed off eachother to create very healthy plants. This isnt a hypothesis, a healthy environment is one that has balance.

22 May 2015 00:33 #19 by crodell
Please help me understand some things.Park county says the revenue generated by these shops does not amount to much,in fact they says it cost the county money every time one is open.I am assuming the cost of policing and
the cost of approving these shops cost more then they will ever generate.Also i believe that between the 2
shops already here that you can get whatever you want just by asking Josh or people at the happy camper.
*I would imagine the cost would have to be weighed against the tax dollars generated and this would be dependent on sales. I paid $5000 for the county just to review my application. $12,000 went to the state for them to take a gander. 3.9% i believe is the tax rate. Im not sure how the wholesale works yet honestly. I would argue that there are things you cant get at the happy camper. I havnt been there yet, but i can guarantee they dont have a quantity of affordable CBD oil. Its no exageration that i expect once people start hearing about this, they will drive from all over the state to get it. Its just not available. If you wait for a year on a list and they call you, expect to pay outrageous cost. I expect in 6 months after opening if i wanted to dedicate the entire grow to CBD strains and have them processed to oil i could sell my entire inventory retail, and almost all of it would be from people who dont live near bailey. Also, I grow what i and many people consider to be some of the best herb you can find in the state. Ive seen what the local dispensaries put out. Its very expensive and ehhh it could be better. I dont want to be negative in any way or disrespect anyone, this is just honesty. Besides quality, and having a good flush so youre not getting black residue or crackling in the bud, or a rough taste as you inhale petrochemicals from the synthetic fertilizer...theres competition. This is very important to keep the price fair and so everyone is trying to do their best. I dont grow my own because its cheaper, i wouldnt sell anything else. In fact my plan unless there is a massive time crunch is to not open until i have my first harvest out. Quality and reputation are huge for me. ''

I do not believe that adding another shop is going to generate any more revenue.I think people will shop at the store they like the most and the same amount of dollars will be spent just split between the 3 shops. Does any body think people are traveling long distances to buy with all the shops in this state.
*the cbd will bring massive dollars here.
*most the herb consumed in this county is not grown or sold out of the stores. Its much cheaper and better quality from local growers, 100s if not closer to 1000s of small grows in houses all around your neighborhoods. Park is the most appealing county in the state for small growers. This is why housing prices have skyrocketed up here since all out legalization, as well as the number of houses on the market, especially those with a gargage are 1/3 as many as last year same time. Hello property taxes! By lowering prices and increasing quality, you should see much higher revenue generated from my store as all 3 combined, and the other stores should still do fine. Many people will continue shopping where they are comfortable. What you would probably see a drop in is the illigal sales from growers and subsequently less of them as they cant compete. If its cheaper and better in a store, why would you pay someone on the street?
Again, not trying to be negative i give a ton of respect to anyone willing to put their neck out and run a dispensary its very hard and risky, and growing is a lifelong process of improvement.

As far as the whole sale items from any of the shops or grow houses does it work different then any other wholesalebusiness,because when you sell wholesale you do not collect tax.If your real passion is making the medicine why not cut a deal with a shop that is already open

* wow this is a great question. I wanted to do wholesale only and not deal with the headache of retail. I hate the constant dealing with staff fluctuations, and much higher cost of having more staff. Also, its much riskier to the license. Even if an employee steals inventory without my knowledge i can lose my license. The wholesale market is there but every day more grows go up, and with more and more lights. Some grows have 1000s of lights and generate thousands of pounds per month. Greenhouses can be very efficient and the cost of production goes down. Since many consumers are new to this, they dont really know the difference between something thats good and something thats average or bad. Much like having a wine pallate develop, it takes some time for people to recognize whats good. Even if they know whats good, most people want whats cheap. 95% of the beer market is stuff like coors. 5% is small breweries. The only way to survive is to be vertically integrated and have an outlet. Soon there will be so much marijuana produced that wholesalers will sell their product at the same as it costs to produce it just to get rid of it. This precedes them going out of business. This is a production bubble. Even if what i grow is the best, i cant afford to beat the price of someone selling it for what it costs to make it. (any lower than cost of production is illigal)

22 May 2015 01:02 #20 by crodell
As a cancer patient to whom the possible use of marijuana for pain relief has become a very important subject, I would like to thank crodell and PrintSmith for their very informative posts on this topic.

The information you are providing is very helpful to me, please continue!

* Thanks so much! you should know that there is hope, and many people are not only getting relief from pain but also curing their cancer completely. I have a good friend, hes 82 and was diagnosed with leukemia. He caught it early and if it wasnt for him, my entry into cbd's would have been later. It really because of him that i started this quest, and many people have benefitted since. anyway, He asked me to help him grow cbd. We did some reaserch and found a good seed company and popped some seeds. I helped him take clones of all the strains, and he flowered the original plants. Then each plant was tested and the one with the best cbd/thc ratio was picked. The clone i had taken earlier became the mother and this spawned many many more plants. From the plant i chose for him, over about 8 months he was able to turn his plant into oil. By this time, the cancer was in his bone marrow. The doctors told him the only way to have any chance of remission or recovery was to have a full bone marrow transplant. He started on low dose radiation and combinded with the CBD oil, his cancer was completely gone the next time he was tested 3 weeks later. He is still alive and has absolutely no cancer in his body. Needless to say the doctors were surprised. Recent studies on rats have shown success on highly aggressive inoperable brain tumors using cbd. There was more of a reduction in the tumors using cbd and low dose radiation than high dose radiation on its own. In fact, it was shown that the combined values of improvement were higher than either low dose radiation or CBD alone. This means 1+1= 4 in concept of effectiveness in combining them. Combined they were more powerful than either value separate. Cancer cells are actually fixed by the CBD, changing the dna, and stopping the replication of the cancer.

I want to provide this stuff! its illigal for me to grow and even give this stuff to people without a license. People can grow their own, but i cant grow it and provide it to them unless i want to limit my patients to 6. This stuff is too special to pick 6 there are people i meet everyday that need it.

As far as my friend with leukemia, he is writing a letter that will be read at the hearing as hard as it is to believe, i think the cure to cancer has been under our noses this whole time. Currently since its federally illigal and has no medical use (wow) the goverment will not allow any testing and only now are studies being conducted on rats and mice.

Please write into This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and tell him why i should be allowed to open a store and why mine will be different. I think this forum is great by the way, and everyone is very questioning and though sometimes distrustful, thats ok. There have been a ton of great questions and im honored to be able to answer them.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds