Confederate Battle Flag a Symbol of Hate?

23 Jun 2015 21:16 #1 by otisptoadwater
What changed between 1992 and now?

I guess it's ok when Liberals do it...

:ohmy: :angry:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2015 02:01 #2 by ScienceChic
What those Clinton-Gore Confederate flag buttons say about politics in 2015
By Philip Bump
June 22

Two buttons offering support for one of Bill Clinton's presidential runs made the rounds on social media over the weekend.

It's important to note that there is no indicator that these buttons were actually made and distributed by the actual Clinton-Gore campaign. The second, with its cut-out photos of the candidates, almost certainly isn't.

One indicator that it isn't official is that it lacks a union "bug," the little marker showing that a piece of campaign material was printed in a union shop. If you look at other Clinton-Gore buttons , nearly all — but not all — have a bug somewhere.

In the 1980s and 1990s, buttons played part of the role that Etsy, Zazzle and Cafepress play now. Buttonmakers were never hard to come by, and anyone who wanted to could make his or her own, offering whatever sentiment they wanted to. So just because these buttons exist doesn't mean they were sanctioned or approved by the campaign.

It also doesn't mean they weren't.

I'm not quoting the title of this next article, as I don't agree that by merely flying the Confederate flag that it means you are a traitor. However, I agree with all of the points made in the article. Symbols are powerful: they evoke emotions in people and spur them to action. They are a subtle yet blatant reminder to those against whom they fought that they are still very much present and in some way glorifying the actions of those who came before them, implying that those who were oppressed deserved to be and could be again. Everyone I've ever known personally who has proudly displayed the Confederate flag has been racist, some more obvious than others.

It's a symbol that belongs in museums and history books only, as reminders of the atrocities we once committed but from which we have evolved. None of our states should be flying a flag that stood stands as a symbol of treason against our great nation.
medium.com/@thejohnprice/yes-you-re-a-ra...traitor-6c4bb12c5b63

When Lindsay Graham says things like, “The flag represents to some people a civil war, and that was the symbol of one side. To others it’s a racist symbol, and it’s been used by people, it’s been used in a racist way,” he makes a mockery of the history. Yes, Senator, it does represent one side of the Civil War: the side that advocated slavery and secession. It’s the flag of treason.

Remember that time South Carolina attacked Fort Sumter? That’s the literal definition of treason. The states that seceded to become the Confederacy were actively engaged in open war against the United States government. A war they started because of the election of a man they deemed “hostile to slavery.” A war they fought to maintain the “heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race.”

The troglodyte that murdered those people in South Carolina wanted to fire the opening shots in a new race war. He is a Confederate in every sense of the word: he is a white supremacist; he is a mass murderer; he is a terrorist; he is a traitor.

The worst part is that he is not some aberration. Oh, we want to comfort and assure ourselves that he is, that he has some mental issue, or that he’s evil, or some other easy excuse that absolves us all of responsibility.

His actions were heinous, but he is the product of a media and culture that protects the ignorant and glorifies division. This is the “heritage” celebrated by those who fly the Confederate flag.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jun 2015 15:30 #3 by FredHayek
Jim Webb, Democratic candidate for President and former Senator, (per Hot Air) "Let's just settle down about the Confederate flag."
:???
I always worry when politicians go off half cocked after an incident and try to remake laws.

For instance, the flag they want to tear down in South Carolina wasn't there during the worst years for blacks after the Civil War, from 1865 to 1960. It only went up after the Civil Rights act and desegregation.
From 1965 to 2015, African-Americans have made steady progress. They don't seem to be held back by this monument for long dead Civil War soldiers.

Personally I don't care if they take down the flag and I doubt it will affect 99.9999% of Americans. There are much worse problems being ignored while this circus is going on.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Jun 2015 16:20 #4 by HEARTLESS
Smoke and mirrors. :whistle: Maybe the Mexican flag will be "outlawed" next.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

24 Jun 2015 19:53 #5 by otisptoadwater

ScienceChic wrote: "...It's important to note that there is no indicator that these buttons were actually made and distributed by the actual Clinton-Gore campaign. The second, with its cut-out photos of the candidates, almost certainly isn't.

It also doesn't mean they weren't.

So what you're saying is that it's not the candidates that are hateful and racist, just the constituents? I guess I could agree with that to an extent, after all the KKK originated with Democrats so I suppose it's possible that some folk have not yet "evolved" since the years after the civil war. It seems to me that one of the main principals of electing a candidate is to elect someone who proclaims that they will represent the interests and values of the people that elected them. I don't recall any please or directives from the DNC, Clinton, her husband or Algore asking or telling anyone not to produce or wear anything with the Confederate battle flag on it in support of any of their campaigns but I don't know everything so someone feel free to correct me.

It seems to me that all this hullabaloo over the Confederate battle flag is nothing more than what is politically expedient at the moment. What it has to do with more so called "gun violence" escapes me. Just like guns and SUVs, it's the existence of the object of disdain that is ultimately responsible for the crime, not the full blown, bat shit crazy asshole that committed the crime.

:angry: :blink:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

25 Jun 2015 17:37 - 25 Jun 2015 17:37 #6 by Rick
This whole flag thing has less to do with ending racism and more to do with giving Democrats something, anything to rile up the voter base since blacks won't be lining up in droves to vote for Clinton like they did Obama. I really hope Hillary pulls out her black southern accent soon, I really miss it.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Jun 2015 07:01 #7 by Nobody that matters
She's got a bunch of tanning sessions to go through first. I heard she signed Rachel Dolezal to her campaign staff to try and recapture the black vote.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

26 Jun 2015 07:05 #8 by FredHayek

Rick wrote: This whole flag thing has less to do with ending racism and more to do with giving Democrats something, anything to rile up the voter base since blacks won't be lining up in droves to vote for Clinton like they did Obama. I really hope Hillary pulls out her black southern accent soon, I really miss it.

Wonder what else they plan to do to energize the African-American vote. Continue the attack on the police?

26 Jun 2015 07:09 #9 by intheaspens
Soon they'll want to ban any education about the founding fathers as well. After all, many of them were slaveholders.

Maybe we should just ban all history and start all over again so as not to offend anyone.

Fred, you make a good point wrt energizing the black vote. I wonder how many blacks out there really know the history of the Democratic party when it comes to their civil rights?

26 Jun 2015 08:48 #10 by FredHayek
:halfrainbow And now with the same sex decision passing the Supreme Court, overruling the constitutions of more than 30 states, will Christian Churches next be called a symbol of hate too?

"They have attacked homosexuality for centuries, time to take away their tax exempt status!"

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds