The Avengers: Age of Ultron

02 May 2015 15:33 #21 by FredHayek
Loved the rivalry between the characters, Avengers continues to do this well. Liked the new villains/heroes introduced, especially the twins. Didn't like the romance, think Widow works better with Cap or Deadeye. The post credit scene comes quickly so you don't need to stay through the entire credits. Spader was good as Ultron, a mix of naive and omnipotent.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2015 20:33 #22 by RenegadeCJ
I really enjoyed the movie as well. Really see the setup for the next Captain America-Civil war. I agree on the romance, it wasn't really needed, but I can deal with it. Enjoyed the new additions to the series. Getting busy!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

03 May 2015 17:21 - 03 May 2015 17:36 #23 by ScienceChic
Not just the setup for Capt America: Civil War, but Avengers: Infinity Wars (Thanos with the Infinity Glove and the Infinity Stones) and Thor: Rangnorak (Thor's nightmare) as well. I saw some complaints about that in some fans comments, but there's now way around it - this is not a stand-alone movie, it's part of a bigger universe.

I went and saw it today again with the family (I have no idea why this is rated PG-13, not even the character who died bled out, it was just red splotches on their shirt). As soon as the first action scene started rolling, I couldn't stop grinning. It wasn't quite as enjoyable the 2nd time around knowing what was coming, but I spent the time looking for what I'd missed instead of just soaking it all in and enjoying it. I love the humor and I'm afraid I will miss that the most when the next one comes out that isn't directed by Joss - I hope they keep working it in and not in cheesy ways.

Some questions I have now that I've pondered upon it a bit more, the first actually came from Lil Science Dude and it's a great question: Why is it called "Age of Ultron"? When you think of an "Age", it spans a long length of time - Ultron was born and wiped out within, what, a week? Granted in the comics he lasted decades and kept coming back in various forms, but in this movie, hardly. Or is a deeper meaning of the word "Age" meant - what we humans now live in reality, that age which Ultron decided we weren't evolving and were too self-destructive to be worthy to be allowed to survive? I'd love to ask Whedon that question and hear his answer.

The other pertains to the lead-in from Marvel: Agents of SHIELD. The episode last Tuesday ended with Coulson speaking with Maria Hill telling her that they'd discovered Loki's scepter was in Sokovia where Dr. List and Strucker, the two leading Hydra baddies had gone, and that Theta Protocol was ready so it was time to bring in the Avengers (hence the opening action sequence in the movie). Yet, not one mention of Theta Protocol during the Avengers movie at all? So what is it???

abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shiel...ecent/VDKA0_t3pddlc4

Edit to add: guess we'll find out the day after tomorrow. ;)

The romance. So why was it incorporated? I'm still working on this one, gotta do some digging. Was it merely because moviemakers think we need to see it in a film, or will it serve some purpose down the road? Having a small inkling of what's coming, I can't fathom a purpose, but they throw twists in all the time from what happened in the comics.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

06 May 2015 17:24 #24 by ScienceChic
Caution: DON'T READ AHEAD if you haven't seen the movie yet & want to be surprised - SPOILER ALERT!

So that's what Theta Protocol referred to! :like: Fury pulled off the "something dramatic" alright and it was nice to see Coulson's involvement. :coolwink: I just love how they pull these story lines together between the movie & TV show, it's creative, it demonstrates caring about the fans' experience, and it's just plain fun!
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Inside the tie-in to Avengers: Age of Ultron
by Natalie Abrams • @NatalieAbrams
Posted May 6 2015

Longtime Marvel fans know better than to expect Iron Man or Thor to just drop by ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. But that hasn’t stopped the powers that be from uniting their television and film universes through cameos, Easter eggs, and spin-offs (hello, Agent Carter!). In the most recent small-screen-big-screen meet-cute, S.H.I.E.L.D.’s dogged Director Coulson (Clark Gregg) played a surprisingly big role in the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron—even though the supes think he’s dead. Here’s how Coulson (and Marvel) pulled it off. Here’s another spoiler warning, so you really only have yourself to blame if you get spoiled.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 May 2015 17:31 #25 by FredHayek
Good point about the Age of Ultron, very short. I thought the romance was setting up a Hulk/Widow movie. Did you see the idea about making Avenger shorts before the big movie? Genius, I hope they do it. Have Banner and Stark working on a secret recipe, turns out to be a birthday cake for Pepper, that accidentally blows up when taken out of the oven.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 May 2015 19:01 #26 by ScienceChic
I :like: it!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds