Music That You Love

09 Nov 2016 20:34 #2241 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Music That You Love

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2016 22:26 #2242 by ScienceChic
H/T to Local Historian for sharing this one on her FB page. Learn something new every day!

Listening While Feminist: In Defense of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”

I’ve noticed over the last several years that some feminists have a strong dislike for the Frank Loesser song “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” Hattie wrote about one interpretation of the song last week , but with all due respect to my fellow Persephonine, I must heartily disagree with her view of it.

I’ve heard the take on “Baby” as “rapey” a couple of times over the years and the concern about the song usually centers in on one line: “Say, what’s in this drink,” which many contemporary listeners assume is a reference to a date rape drug. But narrowing in on this particular line divorces it from its own internal context, and having only passing familiarity with the song divorces it from its cultural context. You can (and should) read the lyrics of the song in their entirety here .

If we look at the text of the song, the woman gives plenty of indication that she wants to stay the night. At the time period the song was written (1936), “good girls,” especially young, unmarried girls, did not spend the night at a man’s house unsupervised. The tension in the song comes from her own desire to stay and society’s expectations that she’ll go.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Feb 2017 23:50 #2243 by ScienceChic

16 Mar 2017 19:17 #2244 by ScienceChic
In honor of St Patrick's Day. :shamrock:

:potofgold: :paddycar:
:spectacular

17 Mar 2017 21:51 - 17 Mar 2017 22:00 #2245 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Music That You Love
For everyone celebrating Saint Patrick's day

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Mar 2017 21:56 #2246 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Music That You Love
The other Dropkick Murphy's hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzF0hHb7xMc

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

02 Apr 2018 20:52 #2247 by ScienceChic
Melissa Davis posted this on our Facebook Page today:

I wanted to share a photo of our boat. We lived in the wonderful town of Bailey for over 15 years and 6 months ago we sold everything to go sailing. We bought the boat in Annapolis, MD and sailed her down to FL to do a little work on her. We finally added the name today and will be back in the water tomorrow. We plan to travel for awhile with our home port of Bailey CO displayed proudly!

And of course that got me to thinking of one of my favorite Jimmy Buffett songs, "A Pirate Looks at Forty."

"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you switch from sails to steam
And in your belly you hold the treasures few have ever seen
Most of them dream, most of them dream"

Calm waters and smooth journey Melissa!

Attachments:

07 Feb 2019 11:53 #2248 by ScienceChic
Thanks to the snow day today, Mix100 played a snippet of Picky Picky Head as they always do when schools are called off and it totally started my day right so I need to share it here! :P Need an infectious, happy tune to pick you up? Play this!

10 Oct 2020 16:13 #2249 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Music That You Love
I don't really see one here so....

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyMountainTown

10 Oct 2020 16:45 #2250 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Music That You Love
OUR VERY OWN.....A.J. FULLERTON,from Montrose,this was in Telluride riding up the mtn.....dude can play blues.....even in New Orleans,has won blues award.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyMountainTown

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds