Science Odds and Ends

22 Jul 2011 07:39 #301 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Science Odds and Ends
Finally, a worthwhile science study! My solution, just drink the beer faster while its still cold, and get another out of the fridge! :)

:frienddrink: :party

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2011 03:07 #302 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
The power of language...

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-vot ... -word.html
Study shows voter turnout can be increased with simple word change
July 19, 2011 by Bob Yirka

A new study by social psychologist Christopher Bryan and his colleagues at Stanford University shows just how easily people can be manipulated using their own vanity; by doing nothing more than changing the word "vote," to "voter," on a survey, Bryan et al, have demonstrated that it's possible to increase voter turnout in real-world elections. The team has published their results in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/07/13/1103343108
Motivating voter turnout by invoking the self
Christopher J. Bryana, Gregory M. Waltona, Todd Rogersb, and Carol S. Dwecka

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/ ... r-landing/
Giant Crater Is Next Mars Rover Landing Site
By Dave Mosher Email Author
July 22, 2011

The next fantastic voyage across the red planet will begin in just over a year when NASA’s Mars Curiosity rover lands in a crater 96 miles wide and three miles deep that contains a geological record of the planet’s epic history.

On July 22, NASA officially announced that Curiosity will land at Gale Crater, where they hope to learn how Mars turned from a wet, potentially habitable planet into a dry, acidic wasteland. Mission managers selected the site over an ancient river-like delta in Eberswalde Crater, which may contain stronger traces of organic carbon.

“It’s like the layers in the Grand Canyon, a sequence of rocks laid out before you that traverse a lot of geologic history,” said planetary scientist John Mustard of Brown University, a 20-year veteran of Mars missions. “Layer by layer, Curiosity’s going climb from the bottom and up through Martian time.”

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podca ... A_facebook
Medieval Armor: Was It Worth the Weight? - Podcast
Treadmill tests of volunteers in medieval armor revealed that the extra work required to move in the suits may have outweighed their protective benefits.
Cynthia Graber reports
July 19, 2011

Medieval armor certainly looks heavy. And now researchers have demonstrated how the protection might have unwittingly put its wearers at a heavy disadvantage on the battlefield.

An armored combatant in the 1400s had between about 60 to 110 pounds of steel on his head and body. The scientists wanted to know how that weight affected performance. They recruited battle experts from the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, in the U.K., who got into replicas of four types of European armor.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Aug 2011 15:45 #303 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
http://www.theblaze.com/blog/#post-107760
This will BLOW you away (pun-intended)

Japanese artist maps every nuclear explosion since 1945
Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm by Meredith Jessup

Via Buzzfeed, this video is a project of Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto. As the months and years between 1945 and 1998 tick away, Hashimoto maps the world’s 2,053 known nuclear explosions and traces the expansion of nuclear technology throughout the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9U8CZAKSsNA

[My Comment: note that a LARGE number are ON the FRICK'IN "cicrle of Fire", What Dumb-A$$ MoFo's!!!!
Screw everything else we're on our way to distoring yourselves....]

03 Aug 2011 11:20 #304 by TPP
:VeryScared: O NO NOW what will the Holy Global Warmest, blame it on????????????

[center:j3zy71cx]New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism [/center:j3zy71cx] By James Taylor | Forbes – Wed, Jul 27, 2011

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism
NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth's atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing (1). The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.
Study co-author Dr. Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA's Aqua satellite, reports that real-world data from NASA's Terra satellite contradict multiple assumptions fed into alarmist computer models.
"The satellite observations suggest there is much more energy lost to space during and after warming than the climate models show," Spencer said in a July 26 University of Alabama press release(2). "There is a huge discrepancy between the data and the forecasts that is especially big over the oceans."
In addition to finding that far less heat is being trapped than alarmist computer models have predicted, the NASA satellite data show the atmosphere begins shedding heat into space long before United Nations computer models predicted.
The new findings are extremely important and should dramatically alter the global warming debate.
Scientists on all sides of the global warming debate are in general agreement about how much heat is being directly trapped by human emissions of carbon dioxide (the answer is "not much"). However, the single most important issue in the global warming debate is whether carbon dioxide emissions will indirectly trap far more heat by causing large increases in atmospheric humidity and cirrus clouds. Alarmist computer models assume human carbon dioxide emissions indirectly cause substantial increases in atmospheric humidity and cirrus clouds (each of which are very effective at trapping heat), but real-world data have long shown that carbon dioxide emissions are not causing as much atmospheric humidity and cirrus clouds as the alarmist computer models have predicted.
The new NASA Terra satellite data are consistent with long-term NOAA and NASA data indicating atmospheric humidity and cirrus clouds are not increasing in the manner predicted by alarmist computer models. The Terra satellite data also support data collected by NASA's ERBS satellite showing far more longwave radiation (and thus, heat) escaped into space between 1985 and 1999 than alarmist computer models had predicted (3). Together, the NASA ERBS and Terra satellite data show that for 25 years and counting, carbon dioxide emissions have directly and indirectly trapped far less heat than alarmist computer models have predicted.

1) http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/3/8/1603/pdf
2)July 26, 2011 • 10:52 am New Paper “On the Misdiagnosis Of Surface Temperature Feedbacks From Variations In Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance” By Spencer and Braswell 2011
There is a new paper published which raises further questions on the robustness of multi-decadal global climate predictions. It is Spencer, R.W.; Braswell, W.D. On the Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedbacks from Variations in Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance. Remote Sens. 2011, 3, 1603-1613.
The University of Alabama has issues a news release on it which reads [h/t to Phillip Gentry]
Climate models get energy balance wrong, make too hot forecasts of global warming
http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/new-paper-on-the-misdiagnosis-of-surface-temperature-feedbacks-from-variations-in-earth%E2%80%99s-radiant-energy-balance-by-spencer-and-braswell-2011/
3) http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/30/lindzen-on-negative-climate-feedback/

Read the rest at: http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html

04 Aug 2011 01:55 - 18 Jun 2017 17:55 #305 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends

TPP wrote: :VeryScared: O NO NOW what will the Holy Global Warmest, blame it on????????????

By James Taylor | Forbes – Wed, Jul 27, 2011

1) http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/3/8/1603/pdf
2)July 26, 2011 • 10:52 am New Paper “On the Misdiagnosis Of Surface Temperature Feedbacks From Variations In Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance” By Spencer and Braswell 2011
There is a new paper published which raises further questions on the robustness of multi-decadal global climate predictions. It is Spencer, R.W.; Braswell, W.D. On the Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedbacks from Variations in Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance. Remote Sens. 2011, 3, 1603-1613.
The University of Alabama has issues a news release on it which reads [h/t to Phillip Gentry]
Climate models get energy balance wrong, make too hot forecasts of global warming
http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/new-paper-on-the-misdiagnosis-of-surface-temperature-feedbacks-from-variations-in-earth%E2%80%99s-radiant-energy-balance-by-spencer-and-braswell-2011/
3) http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/30/lindzen-on-negative-climate-feedback/

Read the rest at: http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html

Dude, you're quoting an article written for Forbes blog that was written by a lawyer, from a known and previously proved biased think-tank institution, that completely misrepresents what the published paper really means in the Science thread? Really? If I sound angry, I'm not, just incredulous. lol (Ya know I'm just giving you crap TPP cuz I like ya so much!). That article really belongs in the Courthouse, and was already started there by Viking. The paper you cited is just fine for here! I addressed that in Viking's thread too cuz he cited it as well.

Now as to Spencer and Braswell's paper: I said in that thread above that I'd get back to this when something was finally posted by climatologists reviewing the paper, and I found these the day before yesterday, but have been swamped with other matters (plus I wanted to find data to reply to Rockdoc's post in that thread as well and that will take more time).

Here they are: www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2...emperature-feedback/
“Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedback”
— mike @ 29 July 2011
Guest commentary by Kevin Trenberth and John Fasullo

The hype surrounding a new paper by Roy Spencer and Danny Braswell is impressive (see for instance Fox News); unfortunately the paper itself is not. News releases and blogs on climate denier web sites have publicized the claim from the paper’s news release that “Climate models get energy balance wrong, make too hot forecasts of global warming”. The paper has been published in a journal called Remote sensing which is a fine journal for geographers, but it does not deal with atmospheric and climate science, and it is evident that this paper did not get an adequate peer review. It should not have been published.

The paper’s title “On the Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedbacks from Variations in Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance” is provocative and should have raised red flags with the editors. The basic material in the paper has very basic shortcomings because no statistical significance of results, error bars or uncertainties are given either in the figures or discussed in the text. Moreover the description of methods of what was done is not sufficient to be able to replicate results. As a first step, some quick checks have been made to see whether results can be replicated and we find some points of contention.

See link for more!

And the other: thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/07/29/282584...-denier-roy-spencer/
Climate Scientists Debunk Latest Bunk by Denier Roy Spencer
By Joe Romm on Jul 29, 2011

“He’s taken an incorrect model, he’s tweaked it to match observations, but the conclusions you get from that are not correct,” Andrew Dessler, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University.

Long and short of it, the lawyer made the paper out to be a whole lot more than it really is - you can't cite one single paper and say it blows holes in 40 years worth of data; sorry, but if I tried to do that by saying that one paper proves AGW without a doubt you'd laugh me out of the room. Plus, this paper studied the last 11 years worth of climate data - not exactly comprehensive. If these few climatologists above who reviewed this paper are just biased and dismissive, and this paper turns out having valid data (which I am skeptical of considering Spencer's history), all it's going to do is help improve the accuracy of the climate models - and I'd bet you my car that they will still show warming even with this data plugged in as a variable.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Aug 2011 05:56 #306 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Science Odds and Ends
I think too much is made up memory loss because of computers. Personally, I've always forsaken memorization of isolated facts for an understanding of the principles that govern how things work. Armed with that information I can figure out things about which I know nothing. Isolated facts to me carry minimal value. If I apply that paradigm, one might consider that others too are making the shift (perhaps subconsciously) from memorization to more creative thought???

04 Aug 2011 06:11 #307 by TPP

Science Chic wrote: Climate Scientists Debunk Latest Bunk by Denier Roy Spencer

“He’s taken an incorrect model, he’s tweaked it to match observations, but the conclusions you get from that are not correct,” Andrew Dessler, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University.

OK, Answer me this How does Mr. Dessler, know that His model is NOT incorrect?
1 model could be correct, and 1 incorrect, or visa vesa, OR Both could be incorrect.
Thus the truth will still be twisted, either way, and it COULD be a COMPLETELY Different Model that hasn't been discovered yet...

04 Aug 2011 06:15 #308 by TPP
Remember that little problem in Japan? Just thought that I’d update ya all…

[center:2miedpkw]Nuclear Event in Japan on Tuesday, 31 May, 2011 at 08:21 (08:21 AM) UTC.
Updated: Wednesday, 03 August, 2011 at 03:10 UTC
[/center:2miedpkw]

According to Japanese media sources Tuesday the highest level of radioactivity yet was detected Monday at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The operator of the crippled power plant, Tokyo Electric Power Company, says it detected 10-thousand millisieverts of radioactivity per hour at the base of the main ventilation stack of reactors No. 1 and No.2. 10-thousand millisieverts per hour is the highest level recording devices can detectand is such a high level that it can kill people within a week or two. It is suspected that highly concentrated levels of radioactivity were released through air conditioning vents that blew out radioactive substances remaining in the pipes. TEPCO vented steam and gas that had built up in reactor No. 1 on March 12th a day after the earthquake. The operator sent 3 workers to the ventilation stack after a gamma camera detected extremely high levels of radioactivity in the area. The company also detected a maximum of 1-thousand millisieverts of radioactivity per hour around the facility and 4-thousand millisieverts per hour inside a reactor building.TEPCO is planning to create a no-entry zone around the area and cover it with protective material.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_update_read&edis_id=NC-20110531-30948-JPN&uid=11208

BTW Tropical Storm Grade 3 heading towards Costa Rico & Panama (it could die out before landfall, but something to keep your eye on. Also a 4.8 earthquake hit Costa Rico, as of 0500 this morning.
Emily is just a Tropical Depression.
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

04 Aug 2011 08:09 #309 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Science Odds and Ends

TPP wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Climate Scientists Debunk Latest Bunk by Denier Roy Spencer

OK, Answer me this How does Mr. Dessler, know that His model is NOT incorrect?
1 model could be correct, and 1 incorrect, or visa vesa, OR Both could be incorrect.
Thus the truth will still be twisted, either way, and it COULD be a COMPLETELY Different Model that hasn't been discovered yet...

People married to one model or another are absolute experts and know that even though the model honors all data, it is incorrect. <sarcasm> The only thing we have right now are working hypotheses. These are going to evolve with more data. Eventually, the true scientists will acknowledge one model as preferred, but it will still remain a hypothesis at best. Tight you are TTP. What we have now is a lot of posturing.

04 Aug 2011 08:18 #310 by Nobody that matters

Science Chic wrote: www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episo...WT.mc_id=SA_facebook
Medieval Armor: Was It Worth the Weight? - Podcast
Treadmill tests of volunteers in medieval armor revealed that the extra work required to move in the suits may have outweighed their protective benefits.
Cynthia Graber reports
July 19, 2011

Medieval armor certainly looks heavy. And now researchers have demonstrated how the protection might have unwittingly put its wearers at a heavy disadvantage on the battlefield.

An armored combatant in the 1400s had between about 60 to 110 pounds of steel on his head and body. The scientists wanted to know how that weight affected performance. They recruited battle experts from the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, in the U.K., who got into replicas of four types of European armor.

I agree with the comments on this article far more than I agree with the article. The soldiers were trained in the armor, and spent their lives in it. They would develop the muscles and breating techniques required to allow them to wear the armor effectively.

If that's the type of stuff Scientific American is printing now, it's gone downhill.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds