Science Odds and Ends

26 Aug 2011 10:44 #321 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
Sorry, wanted to post yesterday...

Video chronicles the evolution of a huge sun storm
NASA captures start of storm until its collision with Earth 93 million miles later
updated 8/19/2011 7:56:01 PM ET

For the first time, scientists have watched the evolution of a huge solar storm, from its origin on the sun until its collision with Earth 93 million miles later.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44209740

And 2 larger than usual earthquakes in semi-active areas…

X-solar Flare happened on the 12th (I believe), something to think about…

EDITED: Now a huge storm back east... Hmmmmm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2011 14:41 #323 by BadgerKustoms
Replied by BadgerKustoms on topic Science Odds and Ends
Not sure if its already been shared here or not but here's a quick resource for Nikola Tesla info. I have sort of a hobby of tinkering with things he would have definitely enjoyed.

http://www.tfcbooks.com/

More simple 'hobby' studies include techniques used by Heron of Alexandria. I have hard copy books on some of his work but I'm sure there are links available for study.

Many times I get a kick on how "science" itself is put up on a pedestal yet so many forget that through-out history we humans as a species have forgotten more than we might ever be capable of learning again.

Badger

29 Aug 2011 06:27 #324 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
Happy to see ya jumping in here BK! Thanks for that info on Tesla - he was an intriguing man.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/08 ... t=1&f=1007
Think You're An Auditory Or Visual Learner? Scientists Say It's Unlikely
by Patti Neighmond
August 29, 2011

In fact, an entire industry has sprouted based on learning styles. There are workshops for teachers, products targeted at different learning styles and some schools that even evaluate students based on this theory.

This prompted Doug Rohrer, a psychologist at the University of South Florida, to look more closely at the learning style theory.

When he reviewed studies of learning styles, he found no scientific evidence backing up the idea. "We have not found evidence from a randomized control trial supporting any of these," he says, "and until such evidence exists we don't recommend that they be used."

Willingham suggests it might be more useful to figure out similarities in how our brains learn, rather than differences.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Aug 2011 11:42 #325 by TPP
BTW, I will support LED lamps, but still like the REAL bulbs better (softer light).

29 Aug 2011 15:58 #326 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
Did you try the one you won at the picnic yet? ;)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Sep 2011 13:37 #327 by TPP

Science Chic wrote: Did you try the one you won at the picnic yet? ;)

Yes, I told you I like it, but at what cost?

23 Sep 2011 13:42 #328 by TPP
NASA's falling satellite slows — and now could hit US
Re-entry time frame shifts too, and it may not crash until late Friday or Saturday

OK we all know this but what really caught my eye was this part…
“The sun has had an extremely active week, one that has included several solar flares. High solar activity can cause the *Earth's atmosphere to heat and expand , which can increase drag on a low-flying satellite like UARS, making it fall faster.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44632366/ns/technology_and_science-space/?GT1=43001

What happened just yesterday and today so far on the eastern rim of the Pacific..
Magnitude: 3.3
Local Date/Time: Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 15:31 in the afternoon at epicenter
Depth: 5 km (3.11 miles) - Region:Pacific Ocean - Country:New Zealand

Magnitude: 6.8
Local Date/Time: Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 23:07 at night at epicenter
Depth: 60 km (37.28 miles) - Region:Pacific Ocean - East - Country:Tonga

Magnitude: 5.0
Local Date/Time: Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 19:59 in the evening at epicenter
Depth: 40 km (24.85 miles) - Region:Asia - Country:Japan

Magnitude: 2.9
Local Date/Time: Friday, September 23, 2011 at 16:57 in the afternoon at epicenter
Depth: 7 km (4.35 miles) - Region:Pacific Ocean - Country:New Zealand

Magnitude: 4.9
Local Date/Time: Friday, September 23, 2011 at 09:44 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 60 km (37.28 miles) - Region:Pacific Ocean - East - Country:Fiji

Magnitude: 4.8
Local Date/Time: Friday, September 23, 2011 at 14:02 in the afternoon at epicenter
Depth: 52 km (32.31 miles) - Region:Pacific Ocean - East - Country:Micronesia

Local Date/Time: Friday, September 23, 2011 at 18:35 in the evening at epicenter
Depth: 40 km (24.85 miles) - Region:Asia - Country:Japan

Local Date/Time: Friday, September 23, 2011 at 08:16 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 35 km (21.75 miles) - Region:Asia - Country:Japan

Check out http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
Still think that solar flares are messing with the plates.
(*) Sounds like Global warming.....

28 Sep 2011 06:48 #329 by TPP
[center:1juhtplf]TOLD YA, YEARS AGO!!!!! [/center:1juhtplf]

Moved to The Ring!

04 Oct 2011 09:31 #330 by TPP
Telescope snaps stunning 1st photo of cosmos

Radio telescope should help astronomers explore coldest, most distant objects in universe
After years of planning, construction and assembly, a gigantic observatory billed as the world's most complex array of ground-based telescopes has opened its eyes in South America and captured its first image.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44758052/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds