Science Odds and Ends

04 Aug 2011 08:33 #311 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Science Odds and Ends

Rockdoc Franz wrote: ... Personally, I've always forsaken memorization of isolated facts for an understanding of the principles that govern how things work. Armed with that information I can figure out things about which I know nothing. Isolated facts to me carry minimal value.

I agree, memorizing formulas is silly, waste of brain cells. So is the rigor of solving boring Calculus equations. I wonder how schooling is these days? In the higher level engineering courses I took, we were usually allowed a one-page cheat sheet for formulas. Some tests were even open-book. I see no value to memorizing most things in Science, other than basic fundamentals. I'm not sure what they do in other science fields like physics, chemistry, geology?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Aug 2011 08:40 #312 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Science Odds and Ends

Joe wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: ... Personally, I've always forsaken memorization of isolated facts for an understanding of the principles that govern how things work. Armed with that information I can figure out things about which I know nothing. Isolated facts to me carry minimal value.

I agree, memorizing formulas is silly, waste of brain cells. So is the rigor of solving boring Calculus equations. I wonder how schooling is these days? In the higher level engineering courses I took, we were usually allowed a one-page cheat sheet for formulas. Some tests were even open-book. I see no value to memorizing most things in Science, other than basic fundamentals. I'm not sure what they do in other science fields like physics, chemistry, geology?

At University, it is a variable bag of approaches. Some want memorization, others synthesis. That was back in the early and mid 70's I imagine much the same continues today given that people learn and think in different ways. Hence, presentation and evaluation of "knowledge" most likely will reflect the presenter's preferred learning and thinking approach.

05 Aug 2011 06:37 #313 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
NOW THIS IS COOL (pun intended)

What's that on Mars? It just might be liquid saltwater
Researchers make case to explain mysterious clusters of dark, narrow lines

Saltwater could be running down some slopes of Mars every spring, researchers suggest.
Such a finding would suggest new directions to search for any life that still existed on the Red Planet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44022462/ns/technology_and_science-space/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

08 Aug 2011 07:28 #314 by TPP
Remember, some think that we humans ARE the ones that will effect the climate. GET REAL!

Science Solar Flares Reach Earth: Could Cause Satellite, Communications Problems

WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — The impact of a series of eruptions on the sun began arriving at Earth on Friday and could affect some communications for a day or so.
Operators of electrical grids are working to avoid outages, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says some satellite communications and Global Positioning Systems could face problems.
Three solar flares erupted on the sun starting Tuesday, and the strongest electromagnetic shocks were being felt Friday by the ACE spacecraft, a satellite that measures radiation bursts a few minutes before they strike Earth, said Joseph Kunches, a scientist at NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colo.
Other serious solar blasts occurred in 1921 and 1940, he noted, and Kunches recalled one on Halloween in 2003.

+++++++++++++++++++
Northwest could see northern lights, weather permitting
Updated 1:49 p.m. MT, Sat., Aug 6, 2011
Three solar flares erupted on the sun starting Tuesday. The weather will be more favorable Saturday night than it was Friday, but the strength of the geomagnetic field won’t be as high, according to KING 5’s Lisa Van Cise. It’s suggested observers ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44040817
+++++++++++++++++++
Effects of solar flares arriving on Earth
WASHINGTON — The impact of a series of eruptions on the sun began arriving at Earth on Friday and could affect some communications for a day or so.
Operators of electrical grids are working to avoid outages, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says some satellite communications and Global Positioning Systems could face problems.
Three solar flares erupted on the sun starting Tuesday, and the strongest electromagnetic shocks were being felt Friday by the ACE spacecraft, a satellite that measures radiation bursts a few minutes before they strike Earth, said Joseph Kunches, a scientist at NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colo.
Solar Flare May Spark Dazzling Northern Lights Displays Friday
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/B3/20110808/NJNEWS18/308080008/Effects-solar-flares-arriving-Earth
+++++++++++++++++++++++

If you’re in the high latitude regions of the Northern Hemisphere, you may be able to see some aurora borealis displays today thanks to a large solar flare that sent a cloud of plasma down to Earth earlier this week.
The Sun hurdled solar flares and coronal mass ejections towards Earth, and the most recent one currently en route is said to be both bigger and faster than the previous two. The third flare is expected to catch up with the other two and join forces to create a giant cloud that’s expected to hit Earth Today at 8:55 a.m. EDT plus or minus seven hours. http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/solar-flare-blast-may-cause-aurora-borealis-display-today-2011085/
Aug. 5, 2011 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44010889
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sample Pictures

10 Aug 2011 07:17 #315 by TPP
[center:3f5t2hfh]Largest Solar Flare in Current Cycle Erupts on Sun [/center:3f5t2hfh]

An extremely powerful solar flare, which is the largest in the current solar weather cycle, rocked the Sun on Tuesday, resulting in a coronal mass ejection (CME). But as the gigantic bursts of radiation occurred near the western limb of the Sun, it is unlikely to wreak any serious havoc on Earth.
Picture is AWESOME!!! Sorry didin't show.
(Photo: NASA/SDO/GSFC)
This still from a video taken by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows the Aug. 8, 2011 solar flare as it appeared in the ultraviolet range of the light spectrum. The flare registered as an X6.9 class sun storm, the largest of the Solar Cycle 24.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/195507/20110810/nasa-solar-flare-solar-cycle-sun-earth-x6-9-larger-flare-coronal-mass-ejections-cme-directed-noaa-sp.htm

Found same picture...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/6025628821/

10 Aug 2011 13:27 #316 by TPP
[center:udrt26m2]THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! [/center:udrt26m2]

New leukemia treatment exceeds 'wildest expectations'
A single shot could be one of the biggest advances in cancer research in decades, scientists say. But the research almost didn't happen

Doctors have treated only three leukemia patients, but the sensational results from a single shot could be one of the most significant advances in cancer research in decades. And it almost never happened.
In the research published Wednesday, doctors at the University of Pennsylvania say the treatment made the most common type of leukemia completely disappear in two of the patients and reduced it by 70 percent in the third. In each of the patients as much as five pounds of cancerous tissue completely melted away in a few weeks, and a year later it is still gone.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/?GT1=43001

11 Aug 2011 01:34 #317 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
We lost a leader in science this past weekend. Rest in Peace Dr. Healy, you were an amazing woman and will be missed!

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid ... adine.html
Former NIH Director Bernadine Healy Dies
by Jocelyn Kaiser on 8 August 2011

Bernadine Healy, a cardiologist who was the first woman to direct the National Institutes of Health (NIH) from 1991 to 1993, died on Saturday from brain cancer.

Appointed by President George H. W. Bush, Healy was an outspoken NIH director during a tumultuous period. She proposed the Women's Health Initiative, a $625-million study that followed more than 140,000 women in part to learn about the health effects of estrogen replacement therapy. Although some researchers questioned the cost and top-down management of the initiative, it proved its worth a decade later by showing that taking estrogen raises a woman's risk of stroke, heart disease, and breast cancer.

James Watson, the first director of the Human Genome Project, quit after clashing with Healy. But she made a smart hire by replacing him with Francis Collins, who is now NIH director.

"She was a very talented, highly intelligent, energetic woman who rubbed some people the wrong way, but when she believed in something she was extremely effective in getting it implemented," says Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. President Bill Clinton did not retain Healy, who later became dean of Ohio State University's medical school. She also ran unsuccessfully for the Senate and led the Red Cross during the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Aug 2011 22:54 #318 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Science Odds and Ends
[youtube:9uuw3fsm]
[/youtube:9uuw3fsm]

23 Aug 2011 23:36 #319 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends
Funky! Thanks for sharing archer!

Sorry, I can't embed the video in this link cuz it's on vimeo, but it's worth watching.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... o-tempest/
Another jaw-dropping time lapse video: Tempest

Randy Halverson is a photographer who makes incredibly stunning time lapse videos of the sky. And he’s done it again: "Tempest Milky Way", an aptly-named video showing the serene depths of the night sky as a background for furious activity much closer to home:

It’s beautiful enough just showing the stars, but then at 2:20 things really get interesting as storms blow in. There’s lots to see, but keep your eyes open at 1:57 for the silhouette of a whitetail deer on the horizon, and at 3:24 for a meteor that pops into view… and is reflected in the lake!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Aug 2011 23:48 #320 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Science Odds and Ends
very cool!

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds