Individual perceptions

31 Oct 2014 09:06 #171 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Individual perceptions
On "vocabulary", I just took this and scored ten out of ten. In the end, it means nothing, but thought I'd share it here on the off chance someone else might want to take the quiz for humor's sake if nothing else.

quizdoo.com/how-good-is-your-english-vocabulary/quiz10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2014 09:13 #172 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Individual perceptions
Okay, so to be a little more relevant and not old news, how about Cory Gardner and the Tea Party? Listening to this presentation at the Evergreen Tea Party meeting on May 29th 2014 in which the speaker, Mike Rosen of 850KOA, basically talks about how important it is to win elections no matter what - even if it means sacrificing your principles and changing your stance just to appeal to voters, made me sick to my stomach. Sitting there as an Unaffiliated voter at that meeting, I was completely turned off from anything the Tea Party would endorse. That's no better than Republicans and Democrats selling out, lying, and spouting vague rhetoric so they can't be nailed to a definitive stance just to get re-elected.

I will grant you that the room was really hard to gauge after that presentation - I have no idea if everyone there agreed with that, or were so mightily embarrassed to be sold out like that with a big speaker that they just refused to speak up; but, if one person is speaking it, and Cory Gardner has indeed changed his campaign stance to fit what Rosen said she be done just to win, then he's doing it and they are going along with it.

You want a real 3rd party that doesn't sell out: go with anyone else but the Tea Party. I will, and have, voted Libertarian and Green Party before I would ever vote for someone who aligns with the Tea Party.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: koobookie

31 Oct 2014 09:21 #173 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Individual perceptions

ScienceChic wrote:
I will grant you that the room was really hard to gauge after that presentation - I have no idea if everyone there agreed with that,

You are right about one thing, you do have NO idea.

31 Oct 2014 09:35 #174 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Individual perceptions

BlazerBob wrote:

ScienceChic wrote:
I will grant you that the room was really hard to gauge after that presentation - I have no idea if everyone there agreed with that,

[/b]
The one liners you provide do nothing to further your cause....the approach does NOT speak will for your
party....JMO

31 Oct 2014 09:38 - 31 Oct 2014 09:40 #175 by ScienceChic
No idea about what exactly BB?

Edit to add: any enlightenment appreciated. At least I admitted that I don't know what the audience was thinking, but neither did anyone in that audience stand up and tell Rosen he was full of sh**.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Oct 2014 09:43 - 31 Oct 2014 09:45 #176 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Individual perceptions

BlazerBob wrote:

ScienceChic wrote:

That is the truth about ALL political groups... there will always be INDIVIDALS who may say stupid things. To brand the entire Tea Party movement with individual actions is like branding all Muslims with individual criminal acts. You have to look at the big picture and overall goal of any group before you write it of because of what a few may do. A couple racist signs pop up in the early Tea Party rallys and the Tea Party was instantly labelled as racist, that is compplete BULL$HIT.

If you're going to bash the Tea Party movement, do it because you disagree with it's stated platform and not because you disagree with a handful of idiots.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Oct 2014 09:56 #177 by ScienceChic
And you never heard me call them racist. I understand that there are fringe people in every group - I've seen members here bashing on Obama, Pelosi, and Reid as if they speak for the entire Democratic party, and often assuming that just because someone here is a liberal that they are an "Obamabot" and automatically 100% support and agree with Obama/Pelosi/Reid. I've also seen the other side grabbing onto the few whacko Republicans (especially those ones who made the ridiculous claims about rape ) and touting them as shining "examples" of their party and saying that if you don't condemn them, then you are living in a "right-wing echo chamber". The more we assume about others, without taking time to get to know them, the more divided we become as a nation which is right where those in power want us. If we're busy squabbling, we don't pay attention to what they're doing.

My point, which I stated, is that Rosen may have said this out loud, but look at the actions of the candidates. Gardner changed his stance on personhood and abortion in order to make himself more electable. That's a fact - it's selling out just to get elected, not standing on his principles with integrity. He believes that and wants to put it in his platform, fine - let the majority elect him and represent their interests. But to change your stance because you know the majority doesn't support that, and then vote your own beliefs when you get into office against the wishes of your constituency is the reason our country has no confidence in our politicians and thinks they're all corrupt sell-outs - look what happened with all of the gun laws and the backlash against that. Those who voted against the majority of the wishes of the constituency deserved to get booted from office.

And the Tea Party does it too. And if we want things to change, then we need to stand up, hold our representatives accountable, and not let them get away with crap like this.

31 Oct 2014 10:01 #178 by ScienceChic
And for the record, the main thing I hold against the Tea Party platform is their stance on global warming. They need to get with the real world - we don't have much time left to keep di**ing around not doing something about mitigating it, and we need to start switching off of our addiction to fossil fuels. Not only does it help the environment, but it will help the economy in the long run, and our national security in the short run.

31 Oct 2014 10:03 #179 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: And you never heard me call them racist. I understand that there are fringe people in every group - I've seen members here bashing on Obama, Pelosi, and Reid as if they speak for the entire Democratic party, and often assuming that just because someone here is a liberal that they are an "Obamabot" and automatically 100% support and agree with Obama/Pelosi/Reid. I've also seen the other side grabbing onto the few whacko Republicans (especially those ones who made the ridiculous claims about rape ) and touting them as shining "examples" of their party and saying that if you don't condemn them, then you are living in a "right-wing echo chamber". The more we assume about others, without taking time to get to know them, the more divided we become as a nation which is right where those in power want us. If we're busy squabbling, we don't pay attention to what they're doing.

My point, which I stated, is that Rosen may have said this out loud, but look at the actions of the candidates. Gardner changed his stance on personhood and abortion in order to make himself more electable. That's a fact - it's selling out just to get elected, not standing on his principles with integrity. He believes that and wants to put it in his platform, fine - let the majority elect him and represent their interests. But to change your stance because you know the majority doesn't support that, and then vote your own beliefs when you get into office against the wishes of your constituency is the reason our country has no confidence in our politicians and thinks they're all corrupt sell-outs - look what happened with all of the gun laws and the backlash against that. Those who voted against the majority of the wishes of the constituency deserved to get booted from office.

And the Tea Party does it too. And if we want things to change, then we need to stand up, hold our representatives accountable, and not let them get away with crap like this.

I don't have the quote, but recently Obama stated that the Dems running away from him and his policies where ok, doi what they need to do to get elected (which basically means they have to lie and pivot from their votes with Obama in order to get elected). If the president is ok with doing whatever needs to be done, even if it means lying (you can keep your doctor...), then why is it so horrible for a radio guy to basically say the same thing?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Oct 2014 10:12 #180 by Rick
Here is what the President Obama said just days ago:

“These are folks who are strong allies and supporters of me, and I tell them, I said, ‘You know what, you do what you need to do to win. I will be responsible for making sure our voters turn out.’ ”

What preceeded this statement was his assertion that all these Dems have voted right alnong with all his policies. Now they are running from them so their only play it to lie.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds