Individual perceptions

31 Oct 2014 10:18 #181 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Individual perceptions
Let's do a side by side comparison:

First, the Tea Party Platform: www.teaparty-platform.com/

Second, the John Birch Society Platform/core principles: www.jbs.org/about-jbs/about-the-john-birch-society

The reason this is being shared is based, in part, on the assertion/allegation the Koch Brothers are behind the initial formation of the Tea Party. The John Birch Society, of which the Koch Brothers allegedly also play a prominent role, was something generally to be scorned back when I was in high school. Not that that's right, necessarily. It was a prevailing sentiment in the community/region in which I was raised (rural, very conservative orientation, BTW).

Both organizations speak in high minded terms and messaging regarding what they stand for. It's up to each of us to decide if what they are saying fits our own individual perceptions, eh?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2014 10:34 #182 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Individual perceptions

Rick wrote: Here is what the President Obama said just days ago:

“These are folks who are strong allies and supporters of me, and I tell them, I said, ‘You know what, you do what you need to do to win. I will be responsible for making sure our voters turn out.’ ”

What preceeded this statement was his assertion that all these Dems have voted right alnong with all his policies. Now they are running from them so their only play it to lie.

Another good example of what not to do in office, and why we voters are disgusted and Congress has an abysmal approval rating in polls. I do not agree with, or like, this statement by Obama at all.

Interesting comparison there Z, I'll have to take a closer look later.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Oct 2014 12:24 #183 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Individual perceptions

ScienceChic wrote:

Rick wrote: Here is what the President Obama said just days ago:

“These are folks who are strong allies and supporters of me, and I tell them, I said, ‘You know what, you do what you need to do to win. I will be responsible for making sure our voters turn out.’ ”

What preceeded this statement was his assertion that all these Dems have voted right alnong with all his policies. Now they are running from them so their only play it to lie.

Another good example of what not to do in office, and why we voters are disgusted and Congress has an abysmal approval rating in polls. I do not agree with, or like, this statement by Obama at all.

Interesting comparison there Z, I'll have to take a closer look later.

So do you understand my point SC? Mike Rosen made you sick to your stomach and he's just a radio talk show host who believes in the Tea Party ideology. President Obama is the most powerful man in the world and the leader of the Democratic party saying the same thing. That doesn't mean people should be sickened by the Democratic party ideology based on what it's leader says, does it?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Oct 2014 12:34 #184 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Individual perceptions

ZHawke wrote: Let's do a side by side comparison:

Second, the John Birch Society Platform/core principles: www.jbs.org/about-jbs/about-the-john-birch-society

The reason this is being shared is based, in part, on the assertion/allegation the Koch Brothers are behind the initial formation of the Tea Party. The John Birch Society, of which the Koch Brothers allegedly also play a prominent role, was something generally to be scorned back when I was in high school. Not that that's right, necessarily. It was a prevailing sentiment in the community/region in which I was raised (rural, very conservative orientation, BTW).

Both organizations speak in high minded terms and messaging regarding what they stand for. It's up to each of us to decide if what they are saying fits our own individual perceptions, eh?

Would you list the parts of the Tea Party platform you disagree with? I'm wondering if you understand the basic ideology away from individuals who all have unique opinions and motives.

If you are going to equate the Koch Bros and everything they say and do with the Tea Party, you need to then equate George Soros and everything he has done and said with the Democratic party. This is not a deflection btw, it's a fair way to counter your argument.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Oct 2014 13:11 - 31 Oct 2014 13:12 #185 by ZHawke

Rick wrote:

ZHawke wrote: Let's do a side by side comparison:

Would you list the parts of the Tea Party platform you disagree with? I'm wondering if you understand the basic ideology away from individuals who all have unique opinions and motives.

If you are going to equate the Koch Bros and everything they say and do with the Tea Party, you need to then equate George Soros and everything he has done and said with the Democratic party. This is not a deflection btw, it's a fair way to counter your argument.

Where's the take away that I "disagree" with anything in either platform/core values? I'm wondering if you understand basic effective communications between and amongst a diverse group of individuals/posters here in this forum.

And, for the record, what I said was (and I quote):

The reason this is being shared is based, in part, on the assertion/allegation the Koch Brothers are behind the initial formation of the Tea Party. The John Birch Society, of which the Koch Brothers allegedly also play a prominent role.....

Please don't misunderstand me here, but the follow-on question to you is do you understand the meanings of the words assertion/allegation and allegedly? I try to be very careful in how I present these types of issues. You might want to take a look at my newest topic and digest the meme I shared there.

31 Oct 2014 13:19 #186 by ZHawke
And, Rick, for further clarification, I also said (and I quote):

Please note I did not infer, nor did I try to infer, either group/party/organization was anything but trying to put out a message they believe in. High minded means just that - having high moral principles. Again, it is up to each of us to decide for ourselves whether or not we necessarily agree with them.

31 Oct 2014 14:17 - 01 Nov 2014 13:36 #187 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Individual perceptions

ScienceChic wrote: Okay, so to be a little more relevant and not old news, how about Cory Gardner and the Tea Party? Listening to this presentation at the Evergreen Tea Party meeting on May 29th 2014 in which the speaker, Mike Rosen of 850KOA, basically talks about how important it is to win elections no matter what - even if it means sacrificing your principles and changing your stance just to appeal to voters, made me sick to my stomach. Sitting there as an Unaffiliated voter at that meeting, I was completely turned off from anything the Tea Party would endorse. That's no better than Republicans and Democrats selling out, lying, and spouting vague rhetoric so they can't be nailed to a definitive stance just to get re-elected.

I will grant you that the room was really hard to gauge after that presentation - I have no idea if everyone there agreed with that, or were so mightily embarrassed to be sold out like that with a big speaker that they just refused to speak up; but, if one person is speaking it, and Cory Gardner has indeed changed his campaign stance to fit what Rosen said she be done just to win, then he's doing it and they are going along with it.

You want a real 3rd party that doesn't sell out: go with anyone else but the Tea Party. I will, and have, voted Libertarian and Green Party before I would ever vote for someone who aligns with the Tea Party.

DONE!! I am MORE than over this...2015 (yes, I typed 2015) will be a BANNER year and NOT in a good way.
The proverbial sh** will hit the fan and the sound you hear in 2016,will be the sucking of the septic tank.

31 Oct 2014 14:32 - 01 Nov 2014 13:36 #188 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Individual perceptions

homeagain wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: Okay, so to be a little more relevant and not old news, how about Cory Gardner and the Tea Party? Listening to this presentation at the Evergreen Tea Party meeting on May 29th 2014 in which the speaker, Mike Rosen of 850KOA, basically talks about how important it is to win elections no matter what - even if it means sacrificing your principles and changing your stance just to appeal to voters, made me sick to my stomach. Sitting there as an Unaffiliated voter at that meeting, I was completely turned off from anything the Tea Party would endorse. That's no better than Republicans and Democrats selling out, lying, and spouting vague rhetoric so they can't be nailed to a definitive stance just to get re-elected.

I will grant you that the room was really hard to gauge after that presentation - I have no idea if everyone there agreed with that, or were so mightily embarrassed to be sold out like that with a big speaker that they just refused to speak up; but, if one person is speaking it, and Cory Gardner has indeed changed his campaign stance to fit what Rosen said she be done just to win, then he's doing it and they are going along with it.
And changing stances and statements prior to elections has been going on with both of the big parties as long as I've been alive.

You want a real 3rd party that doesn't sell out: go with anyone else but the Tea Party. I will, and have, voted Libertarian and Green Party before I would ever vote for someone who aligns with the Tea Party.

DONE!! I am MORE than over this...2015 (yes, I typed 2015) will be a BANNER year and NOT in a good way.
The proverbial sh** will hit the fan and the sound you hear in 2016,will be the sucking of the septic tank.

SC, are you saying that Mike Rosen is the spokesman for the Tea Party? Because you later state you won't vote for someone who aligns with the Tea Party. And as of yet, I'm not familiar with a Tea Party candidate, they only endorse existing candidates. Also, Mike Rosen isn't running for office to my knowledge.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

01 Nov 2014 11:09 - 01 Nov 2014 16:04 #189 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote: That you would even attempt to give legitimacy to a graph that assigns 3 years to one group, four to another and roughly 40 to the last one and think it legitimate only demonstrates the depths of deception that you are willing to stoop to in pursuit of an ideology. Sorry Z, you'll have to do much better than that in this forum.

I've been seriously considering your comments on the graph I provided. I studied, and re-studied the graph, itself, and find your comments are very likely inaccurate. Please look at it again. If you want me to do much better in this forum, I'd counter you really need to know how to read a graph like the one presented, no disrespect intended.

Edited to add: And I retract what I said in this post based on additional information accessed and provided in my latest post.

With apologies.

01 Nov 2014 13:48 #190 by MountainRoadCrew
A few posts have been split out and moved here: mymountaintown.com/forum/29-the-ring/323...ual-perceptions-ring
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZHawke

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds