Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

26 Mar 2016 11:15 #161 by ScienceChic
It's called accountability. You want to own guns, you should be held responsible for what happens with them. You don't want more restrictive gun laws? Uphold the ones we have, charge and punish the people who break said laws. That simple.

This man below should not only be in jail, but he should never be allowed to own a gun again. He irresponsibly killed an innocent woman and her unborn baby. Admitted to it. And begged to be let go because he "suffered enough." Bullsh*t.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. And people who kill people with guns in the circumstance described below shouldn't be allowed to have them anymore.

Bang Bang Sanity Update
by Jim Wright
March 25, 2016

Back in July of 2014, I mentioned a guy named William DeHayes in my essay Bang Bang Sanity .

You see, DeHayes was showing off his gun collection to some friends. He spun a .22 revolver around his finger in a "western style trick" and ...

... it went off BANG!

When the smoke cleared, it turned out DeHayes had shot 25-year-old Katherine Hoover smack in the head.

She was also five months pregnant.

Her baby died too, naturally.

Police called Hoover's death an accident. DeHayes, the well trained responsible gun collector, said he didn't know the gun was loaded.

A year later, Hoover's family was still trying to convince the court to have him tried for manslaughter. But DeHayes said he'd already suffered enough. According to DeHayes, he felt terrible remorse like you do when you've killed a woman and her baby because you were dicking around with a gun and treating it like a goddamned toy.

And they let him go. No charges. They gave him his guns back.

And so now it's two years later.

Yesterday police were called to DeHayes' mobile home.

And why were they called to his home? Read on here: www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/984743451561058

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Mar 2016 16:59 #162 by RenegadeCJ
In this case yes, he should be tried for manslaughter. Not sure you will find much disagreement in the gun community over that. It is no different than any other negligent homicide.

I don't agree that if someone broke in his house, stole a gun, then shot someone, that he should be held responsible. Not sure if you were going there or not.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

29 Mar 2016 12:08 - 29 Mar 2016 12:09 #163 by ScienceChic
Renegade, that's an an interesting scenario you bring up. I would have to say it depends. If the gun owner took every reasonable precaution to keep their guns locked up and out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them - whether it's someone who lives in their house or someone who breaks in and steals them, then no, I don't believe they should be held accountable. We control what we can while realizing that we can't make everything 100% safe.

If, however, they leave their guns lying around, loaded or with easy access to ammunition, for anyone to take - their 2 yo son or a burglar, then they have been irresponsible and they should be held accountable for some measure. I would say that it should be on a case-by-case basis as to the severity of the resulting crime, and the level of irresponsibility of the gun owner, and their remorse.

At the moment I can't think of any other scenarios or qualifications that would change my above statements, but it's certainly possible.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Mar 2016 12:38 #164 by RenegadeCJ
So following along your line of thinking...with the "leaving a gun lying around". If someone comes in my house...whether a burglar or a person I know, and they see my keys sitting on the table, and they take my car and drive into a crowded street and kill people, should I be at fault? What if they take knives from my butcher block, and go into a school and stab and kill people. Still my fault? What about my chainsaw?

Do you see where I'm going with this? A gun is a tool. Harmless unless it is put in the hands of a criminal or someone who has the desires to do harm. Why is a gun the only tool that people want to blame the owner instead of the criminal. Yes, if someone leaves a loaded gun on the counter, and a child takes it and shoots someone, they will likely be charged with a crime, but if someone leaves a cast iron pot on the stove, and a kid pulls it off onto their sibling, and kills them....is that a crime too? Guns aren't inherently evil, any more than my knives, car, hammer, or chainsaw is. We should treat them all the same.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

29 Mar 2016 18:31 #165 by Rick

RenegadeCJ wrote: So following along your line of thinking...with the "leaving a gun lying around". If someone comes in my house...whether a burglar or a person I know, and they see my keys sitting on the table, and they take my car and drive into a crowded street and kill people, should I be at fault? What if they take knives from my butcher block, and go into a school and stab and kill people. Still my fault? What about my chainsaw?

Do you see where I'm going with this? A gun is a tool. Harmless unless it is put in the hands of a criminal or someone who has the desires to do harm. Why is a gun the only tool that people want to blame the owner instead of the criminal. Yes, if someone leaves a loaded gun on the counter, and a child takes it and shoots someone, they will likely be charged with a crime, but if someone leaves a cast iron pot on the stove, and a kid pulls it off onto their sibling, and kills them....is that a crime too? Guns aren't inherently evil, any more than my knives, car, hammer, or chainsaw is. We should treat them all the same.

I was going to make the exact same argument, because it's logical.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Mar 2016 12:10 #166 by Jukerado
I remember a long thread on a gun forum, many years ago, about children getting hold of loaded firearms. It should never happen; if anyone owns guns, they should be well beyond the reach of a child.

We have no youngsters - but when we have company over, my guns get put away, because inevitably there's always someone who wants to handle them.

I completely agree that rootin'-tootin' d-bag in the article should be put away for both manslaughter and unimaginable stupidity. I don't care to have such fools taking up my oxygen.

30 Mar 2016 14:10 #167 by hillfarmer
I have no problems with responsible gun ownership. Living up here I also consider them useful tools and own several. That said I have no sympathy for those who make gun ownership an ideology. They are too often used to feed fear and paranoia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

02 Apr 2016 12:38 #168 by ScienceChic
RenegadeCJ and Rick, here's where I differentiate: a vehicle is created for the purpose of transportation. A hammer for construction. Can they be used as a weapons? Sure, but that's not their primary function. A gun on the other hand has only one purpose - to kill. Whether used defensively or offensively, it is designed to end the life of another human or animal. As such, it entails a higher level of responsibility that comes with owning one. If someone is going to squawk at that, then they need to re-evaluate whether they are comfortable with owning one or not. Otherwise, we need much stricter laws evaluating and qualifying whether or not an individual is competent enough to own one, and harsher punishment for those who would sell guns to someone who shouldn't own one without a proper check first - that simple.

There are far, far too many examples of irresponsible people who've received absolutely no punishment for their weapons being used to end another's life. I'm not even going to bother doing a Google search, they're out there. Unless these folks start getting held accountable, and as long as people keep dying, there will be continued calls for more "gun laws". That's just how I see it. We have far too many gun deaths in this country, and we're supposed to be the "civilized" ones.

02 Apr 2016 19:09 - 02 Apr 2016 19:10 #169 by Arlen

ScienceChic wrote: Renegade, that's an an interesting scenario you bring up. I would have to say it depends. If the gun owner took every reasonable precaution to keep their guns locked up and out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them - whether it's someone who lives in their house or someone who breaks in and steals them, then no, I don't believe they should be held accountable. We control what we can while realizing that we can't make everything 100% safe.

If, however, they leave their guns lying around, loaded or with easy access to ammunition, for anyone to take - their 2 yo son or a burglar, then they have been irresponsible and they should be held accountable for some measure. I would say that it should be on a case-by-case basis as to the severity of the resulting crime, and the level of irresponsibility of the gun owner, and their remorse.

At the moment I can't think of any other scenarios or qualifications that would change my above statements, but it's certainly possible.

If gun owner's house is locked up, then the gun owner has been responsible with the gun. If a burglar breaks into the gun owner's house, the gun owner has no liability. The burglar is responsible for his burglary, theft of the gun, and any future crimes that he commits with the stolen gun.

03 Apr 2016 10:41 #170 by Jukerado
Interesting input.

I wrote in an earlier post how firearm ownership is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. Not hammers, or cars, or cell phones. There's a constant outcry about internet loopholes and gun show sales, which is essentially a crock of doo-doo. If you purchase a gun at a gun show, a background check is performed on the phone. Sometimes if the check can't be completed, you have to pick it up at a dealer later. Internet sales? Complete and utter lies. You cannot buy a gun over the internet without a background check, and the gun is then shipped from the dealer to another licensed dealer. I've done this several times. It cannot be circumvented.

Mass slaughter existed long before guns were ever invented. Firearm deaths in the US have been declining for years; they're sensationalized by instant media, just like videos of cats on pianos.

So who in the loop is going to ascertain which citizen is qualified to own a gun?

Here's a thought. The Colorado lawmakers bowed to pressure and outlawed magazines that hold more than 15 rounds. If you had larger magazines before the law went into effect, you could keep them. Prosecutors have to prove you bought new magazines illegally, and many have stated (along with sheriffs) that it's a ridiculous law. (I agree.) Just because you purchase a larger capacity magazine doesn't mean you intend to go out and kill anyone.

Which brings up another point ... crotch rockets. If someone purchases one of these motorcycles, they have only one intention - to break the law, to speed, to push the limits, to go as fast as they can, and to terrorize other drivers, residents, and livestock. Anyone who lives on a winding canyon road knows this to be especially true, evidenced mostly on weekend mornings. So why aren't these motorcycles banned by the legislature? Owning one isn't a right. They serve no useful or constructive societal purpose. Unlike gun or magazine purchases, the buyer is practically stating, "I am going to go out and break the law and be as big an a=hole as I possibly can."

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds