Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

15 Jun 2016 12:48 #191 by Something the Dog Said
No your analysis is false. The Attorney General may only put an individual on the suspect terrorist watch list if there is substantial evidence of terrorist activity or links to terrorism. That finding may be challenged administratively and then in a court of law. The individual may challenge the evidence that the AG used to support putting the individual on the list. IF the evidence includes information that would jeopardize national security, then the AG may redact that information (or would you rather the enemy receive classified information). The individual can then request that the judge in the case review the unredacted information. The judge will then either find that the information should not be redacted, or if it is critical to national security, decide whether that information is credible and whether that information supports the finding that the individual is supporting terrorism sufficient to warrant being put on the list. This same procedure is used in trials whenever there is critical information that would jeopardize national security that is evidence in a trial. It is not new, and this process has been used for decades.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jun 2016 13:18 #192 by FredHayek
But an anecdote about how no-fly lists actually work. I know a woman with a common name, Julia Brown. Well, a person with the same name made it onto the no-fly list so she has to prove every time she flies that she is not the "bad" Julia Brown. So this poor woman is guilty and denied her rights until she proves her innocence. Sound fair to you?

But don't worry, looks like both Hillary & the Donald both think it is okay to deny basic rights to Americans who have not been proven guilty.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

15 Jun 2016 13:58 #193 by Jukerado
Seems the Ultra Secret Lists are a pointless debate. My view is that these lists are open to extreme abuse and defy due process. If someone is suspected of being a terrorist, then they should be brought to light. If they're on the list erroneously (like Julia Brown and my brother-in-law's dad), they shouldn't have to waste their time in court trying to figure out why they're on Double Secret Probation, and prove they aren't guilty.

Good luck to all non-terrorizing citizens who end up on a list.

15 Jun 2016 15:35 #194 by RenegadeCJ
The point is trust of the govt. I don't trust them to do the right thing. The justice dept used to be non-partisan, but it has now become an political animal, enforcing laws, or not enforcing laws, depending on what the president wants.

This is a great article about guns and the 2nd amendment. I don't agree with everything in it, but it is well thought out, and explains the founder's thoughts on guns.

www.lewrockwell.com/2012/12/marc-j-victo...5-assaultrifleowner/

“Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurances and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” ~ George Washington

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

15 Jun 2016 16:01 #195 by Jukerado
That's a great piece.

Legislation being proposed today will surely focus on "assault weapons" (a term I personally find somewhat ironic, considering I was assaulted in 1983 by a guy wielding a large wad of barbed wire - it did not end well for him), and undoubtedly more "high capacity" magazine limits. Except for bodyguards and protection services, no doubt. And, of course, this legislation will ignore the fact that despite unprecedented gun sales in the past few years, America's overall gun death rate has declined 31% since 1993.

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/21...icide-rate-edges-up/

Get 'em while you can. I recommend Bud's in Kentucky www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

and no, friends and neighbors, despite what you may have heard, you can't order a gun online and have it shipped to your home. It has to be legally transferred through a licensed firearms dealer. I recommend Rapid Fire Bunker in downtown Littleton; they'll handle the transfer for only $15, which is the best rate you'll find anywhere: www.rfbunker.com/

At least, that's what I've heard. I don't own any guns.

16 Jun 2016 07:01 #196 by FredHayek
And once again proposed gun legislation will actually sell more guns. I picked up a .22 Ruger pistol yesterday at my gun dealer's, he said it was the only pistol he sold today, but he had sold plenty of AR-15's and magazines. Americans, tell them they can't have something and they will buy all you have in stock .

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Jun 2016 12:01 - 16 Jun 2016 12:01 #197 by intheaspens

16 Jun 2016 13:13 #198 by Something the Dog Said

RenegadeCJ wrote: The point is trust of the govt. I don't trust them to do the right thing. The justice dept used to be non-partisan, but it has now become an political animal, enforcing laws, or not enforcing laws, depending on what the president wants.

This is a great article about guns and the 2nd amendment. I don't agree with everything in it, but it is well thought out, and explains the founder's thoughts on guns.

www.lewrockwell.com/2012/12/marc-j-victo...5-assaultrifleowner/

“Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurances and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” ~ George Washington

Except that George Washington never made that statement. It is nowhere in any of the writings of George Washington. It first appeared in a 1926 op ed by an individual named C.S. Wheatley.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

16 Jun 2016 14:12 #199 by Jukerado

Something the Dog Said wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: “Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurances and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” ~ George Washington

Except that George Washington never made that statement. It is nowhere in any of the writings of George Washington. It first appeared in a 1926 op ed by an individual named C.S. Wheatley.

Sounds like a solid dude, whose cranium was clearly free from the confines of his rectum. Might be a good write-in for POTUS.

16 Jun 2016 15:09 #200 by Something the Dog Said

Jukerado wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: “Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurances and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” ~ George Washington

Sounds like a solid dude, whose cranium was clearly free from the confines of his rectum. Might be a good write-in for POTUS.

Sure, since he would be over 120 years old if he was still alive and that he was a liar. In my personal opinion, freedom of speech and freedom of the press has done much more to ensure the ongoing viability of the Constitution and this country than private ownership of firearms.

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds