Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

28 Jun 2016 10:43 #221 by Rick

Rick wrote:

hillfarmer wrote: [. Your insistence that this is a conspiracy by the Obama administration to somehow magically convert America to the Muslim faith is nothing more than the ranting of the White Supremacist movement.

Would you be so kind as to show me where I made such a claim? I know you can't but it will be interesting to see how you came up with that one, especially the white supremacist comment. :???

No answer huh? This is what's wrong with much of the political discourse today, people will spout off with lies and defamation then run away when they cant back it up.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2016 13:20 #222 by ramage
From the 1800's through the 1960's race was defined as a group of people with certain inherited features that distinguish them from other groups of people. All races are in the species Homo sapiens, sharing the same genetic material.
During the past 4-5 decades race has become a social construct used as a something to be proud of or as a slur when convenient. For example, La Raza, what is it? Translation to English yields "The Race". Are the people of Central and South America, whose ethnic background is Spanish part of this "La Raza"? Or is it based on one's skin color? Gordy Higgins, an Argentine sheep rancher would be very surprised to find out that he is a member of La Raza, as would be Andres Mayoral or Thomas Edwards both born in Cuba and raised in the Spanish culture. All three of these men happen to have white skin, are they therefore not part of the Hispanic "race/ culture"?
My long-winded point being, it seems that today only one's skin color used as a basis of race. If that Barack Obama inherited his mother's skin color, would his defenders shout "White Supremacist" at those who reject his policies?
What will they shout if HC is elected and continues the same policies? I guess that I can answer my own question, "Misogynist".

02 Jul 2016 13:30 #223 by Something the Dog Said

ramage wrote: From the 1800's through the 1960's race was defined as a group of people with certain inherited features that distinguish them from other groups of people. All races are in the species Homo sapiens, sharing the same genetic material.
During the past 4-5 decades race has become a social construct used as a something to be proud of or as a slur when convenient. For example, La Raza, what is it? Translation to English yields "The Race". Are the people of Central and South America, whose ethnic background is Spanish part of this "La Raza"? Or is it based on one's skin color? Gordy Higgins, an Argentine sheep rancher would be very surprised to find out that he is a member of La Raza, as would be Andres Mayoral or Thomas Edwards both born in Cuba and raised in the Spanish culture. All three of these men happen to have white skin, are they therefore not part of the Hispanic "race/ culture"?
My long-winded point being, it seems that today only one's skin color used as a basis of race. If that Barack Obama inherited his mother's skin color, would his defenders shout "White Supremacist" at those who reject his policies?
What will they shout if HC is elected and continues the same policies? I guess that I can answer my own question, "Misogynist".

La Raza evolved from a book written in 1925 La Raza Cosmica by Jose Vasconsenso. The premise of the book was that all of the people of the previous Spanish empire would gradually mix together to form a new race. It has since evolved into a phrase denoting ethnic pride from those descending from the previous Spanish empire, not a phrase claiming racial superiority. According to your logic, I assume that you are also offended by those who celebrate Italian heritage on Columbus day, or Irish pride on St. Patrick's day.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

02 Jul 2016 17:54 #224 by ramage
Nowhere in my comment did I say or even suggest that La Raza advocated racial superiority. Please re-read my comment. With regard to your assumption of my beliefs, it is incorrect. I support those of Italian heritage celebrating Columbus Day, do you? I support those of Irish heritage celebrating St. Patrick's Day, do you?
Your statement validates my point that "race" is a social construct for as you note La Raza has evolved into a phrase denoting ethnic pride.

04 Jul 2016 12:52 #225 by Arlen
Don't be upset by Something The Dog Said. All liberals search for your motivation and "what you really meant to say". They do not understand what is being said.

04 Jul 2016 13:54 #226 by hillfarmer
Unlike far right radicals who instinctively understand everything...or think they do. Happy 4th of July. :celebrate4t

04 Jul 2016 19:34 #227 by Arlen

hillfarmer wrote: Unlike far right radicals who instinctively understand everything...or think they do. Happy 4th of July. :celebrate4t

See what I mean? Now they know our "instinctive understanding".

04 Jul 2016 19:49 #228 by otisptoadwater
Yesterday I placed my shotgun on the front porch, gave it six shells, and noticing it had no legs, placed it in a wheelchair to help it get around. I left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the boy across the street picked up my yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near my house.

After 10 hours, I checked on the shotgun. It was still sitting in the wheelchair. It had not rolled outside and It had not killed anyone in spite of many opportunities that had been presented. It had not even loaded itself.

Can you imagine how surprised I was with all the hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people? Either the media is wrong and the killing is by people misusing guns or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world. So now I'm off to check on my spoons, because I hear they make people fat.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Jul 2016 06:10 - 05 Jul 2016 06:12 #229 by Arlen
After the Boston Marathon bombing we needed common sense pressure cooker control laws, and our elected officials did nothing.

After the shoe bomber we needed common sense shoe control laws, and our elected officials did nothing.

Why weren't common sense underwear control laws passed?

Silly, isn't it?

15 Jul 2016 14:01 #230 by Rick
Looks like trucks don't kill people either, just sayin.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds