Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

12 Apr 2016 11:35 #171 by OmniScience

Jukerado wrote: Which brings up another point ... crotch rockets. If someone purchases one of these motorcycles, they have only one intention - to break the law, to speed, to push the limits, to go as fast as they can, and to terrorize other drivers, residents, and livestock. Anyone who lives on a winding canyon road knows this to be especially true, evidenced mostly on weekend mornings. So why aren't these motorcycles banned by the legislature? Owning one isn't a right. They serve no useful or constructive societal purpose. Unlike gun or magazine purchases, the buyer is practically stating, "I am going to go out and break the law and be as big an a=hole as I possibly can."

I love your sarcasm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2016 12:57 #172 by ScienceChic
Orlando nightclub gunman called 911 before attack, pledged allegiance to Islamic State
By Christal Hayes , Gal Tziperman Lotan , Elyssa Cherney and Naseem S. Miller
June 12, 2016

Omar Mateen - the lone gunman who opened fire inside a gay Orlando nightclub, killing 50 in U.S. history's deadliest shooting - called 911 moments before the attack and pledged his allegiance to Islamic State, a federal law enforcement official said, confirming earlier reports.

Mateen, 29, of Port St. Lucie, was killed after a shootout with Orlando police. He was armed with a pistol and assault rifle in the attack that also left 53 injured.

What irks me is that we can't even have the conversation. This reply by our President to a question asking why he and Hillary want to restrict our gun rights and confiscate our guns, instead of holding those who perpetrate crime accountable, is right on point. Especially the comparison to car safety improvements - I remember reading how the automakers dug in and put up a hellacious fight trying to keep from being mandated to put things in like seat belts. In the end, cars are safer, there are more cars on the road than ever, and it didn't hurt their bottom line. There's no reason why that kind of effort couldn't be applied to gun ownership and use.

It's time to have that conversation, and find that data, and make steps in safety for gun purchase and ownership. Or do you think we should do nothing because it's okay that people who are on the FBI's "No Fly" list for having known links to terrorist organizations are allowed to buy any guns and ammo they like because those lists aren't allowed to be shared for gun background checks?

This isn't about destroying the 2nd Amendment, restricting guns from those who would use them responsibly, or confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens, this is about keeping them out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them in the first f'ing place.

Stonekettle Station: The Seven Stages of Gun Violence , updated for Orlando

And so here we are yet again. What is it this time? Rage? Hate? Mental Illness? Political statement? An act of war? Random Death in the life support system and what is it this time? What's the common thread?

Oh we know, of course we do. But no matter the body count, no matter the horror, no matter what, we simply will not face it. Once again, we just keep on keeping on, expecting something different – and that right there is the very definition of insanity.

As a nation, we have gone insane.

www.facebook.com/Stonekettle

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Jun 2016 13:13 #173 by ramage
Please define "who shouldn't have them in the first place." Would that include a radical islamist who profess a hatred of homosexuals?

12 Jun 2016 13:37 #174 by ScienceChic
If he had known ties to ISIS, then I don't think he should be allowed to buy guns legally. Do you?

Per President Obama, people on the No Fly list with known ties to terrorist organizations can still buy guns legally. Is that alright, why or why not? I've had one friend who protested using secret government lists since they offer no protections of civil rights, there's no oversight, and a huge potential for abuse. That's a good argument. So how do those lists be made accountable, reviewable, and secure? If we can manage it for car registrations, why not gun registrations?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Jun 2016 15:08 #175 by ramage
Are you stating that all guns should be registered with the federal government?

12 Jun 2016 15:37 #176 by ScienceChic
No I wasn't.

I'll ask again though, should people who are on the FBI Terrorist Watch List be allowed to purchase guns?

12 Jun 2016 15:41 #177 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: Orlando nightclub gunman called 911 before attack, pledged allegiance to Islamic State
By Christal Hayes , Gal Tziperman Lotan , Elyssa Cherney and Naseem S. Miller
June 12, 2016

Omar Mateen - the lone gunman who opened fire inside a gay Orlando nightclub, killing 50 in U.S. history's deadliest shooting - called 911 moments before the attack and pledged his allegiance to Islamic State, a federal law enforcement official said, confirming earlier reports.

Mateen, 29, of Port St. Lucie, was killed after a shootout with Orlando police. He was armed with a pistol and assault rifle in the attack that also left 53 injured.

What irks me is that we can't even have the conversation.

e

Wow, for a second there I thought you were talking about a conversation about blood thirsty Muslims.

12 Jun 2016 16:29 #178 by Something the Dog Said
Federal legislation was introduced in the Senate last December that would ban firearm purchases by those on the FBI terrorist watch list. It also allowed those who are on the list to appeal their inclusion on the list. Unfortunately, particularly to those murdered in Orlando, Senate Republicans blocked the legislation from going forward.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

12 Jun 2016 19:28 #179 by Arlen

ScienceChic wrote: No I wasn't.

I'll ask again though, should people who are on the FBI Terrorist Watch List be allowed to purchase guns?

The nature of the FBI Terrorist Watch List needs to be changed. The people who are on the list are put on the list secretly. There is no due process of law. You cannot challenge why your name is on the list. You are not notified that you have been put on the list. Your civil and constitutional rights are taken away and there is nothing that you can do about it.

If the nature of the list is changed, then sure, it can be used in consideration during a background check for a gun. But not until the list becomes public and due process if applied.

As it stands right now, it is unAmerican.

12 Jun 2016 21:07 #180 by ramage
According to news reports, the shooter was on no terrorist watch list nor was he on a no fly list..

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds