Is every speed limit too low

28 Jul 2014 14:50 #31 by PrintSmith

Ashley wrote: So from your statement, those who follow the speed limits obviously can't be reasonable and prudent. Wrong. Amazing how you can justify when to follow the law and when not to.

When did I say that? There are indeed times when the posted speed limit is a reasonable and prudent one. There are also times when higher speeds, or lower ones, are also reasonable and prudent ones. What is a reasonable and prudent speed is not a static figure Ashley. You can attempt to ignore that statement all you wish in order to try and get you digs in, but that will not change the truth of that statement one iota. There are times when I drive 55 on 285, times when I drive 65, times when I barely drive 40 but at no time do I drive above what is a safe and prudent speed. I like my life, the people I carry in the car with me are very precious to me and I'm really not indifferent to the cost of replacing my vehicle, or someone else's for that matter.

As to your last attempt to insult, it's laughable on its face. Of course I decide which laws I will follow and which I will ignore. That makes me a member of a group that includes 100% of the people in the Union Ashley, a group which includes even yourself.

The larger question is why do we have laws on the books which make 85+% of the people lawbreakers when they are acting reasonably? What purpose does that serve?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2014 19:52 #32 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic Is every speed limit too low
My comments weren't an attempt to insult. Only to point out how you abide by whatever laws you choose. You remind me of Obama. How about as Otis suggests, use some patience in your driving.

30 Jul 2014 14:47 #33 by PrintSmith
And I pointed out that makes me a member of a group that includes 100% of the people in the Union, including yourself. Know what? The speed limit isn't the only law I decide whether or not to follow the law. I regularly fail to come to a total and complete stop at stop signs. I don't always stay to the right except to pass. I don't signal lane changes if there are no vehicles nearby. Sometimes I don't wear my seat belt.

Know something else Ashley? Unlike Obama, I am not an executive of any branch of government. I have not taken an oath to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". Nor does my job description include a provision that I "shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."

I am more than competent to govern myself in most of my day to day activities Ashley - as I presume you to be. That outlook, I suppose, is the largest difference between us.

And your final admonition is a presumption on your part. I am actually a very patient driver. I don't tailgate, I don't flash my lights, I don't weave back and forth between lanes to advance in the pattern. I operate my vehicle in a safe and prudent manner at all times, as do the overwhelming majority of drivers, most of whom are exceeding the posted limits, that I encounter on the road every day.

I'll share a story with you that my father shared with me. Before he married my mother, he was out in California on a road trip with some buddies from the Navy. They were traveling on the freeway during rush hour and my father was driving the speed limit. A trooper with the Highway Patrol came up behind him and turned on his lights and my father dutifully pulled out of traffic onto the shoulder. The trooper approached the vehicle and asked to see my father's license, which he presented. When the trooper asked if my father knew why he had been pulled over, my father admitted that he did not. The trooper then informed him that his speed was too slow, that he was holding up traffic and creating a hazard and he either needed to keep pace with the rest of the vehicles or get off the freeway and use the side streets. The trooper then handed him back his license and sent him on his way.

So you see Ashley, it is possible to drive the speed limit and be a hazard to everyone around you while doing so. That's a reality whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. If the police were truly interested in increasing road safety, they would do as the trooper did with my father and pull out of the pattern anyone who was interfering with it. Like water, road speed will find it's own level based on volume and road conditions. That's also true regardless of whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

30 Jul 2014 18:23 - 31 Jul 2014 04:57 #34 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Is every speed limit too low
I always hit the throttle WFO and try to get the highest number on the "your speed" display! LOL :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Jul 2014 18:36 #35 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Is every speed limit too low

LOL wrote: I always hit the throttle WFO and try to get the highest number on the "your speed" display! LOL :)

Ha Ha that's funny because I do the same thing when my wife is in the car and I'm pretty sure its safe to floor it. She says there is a camera but I know it's just there to scare people. Needless to say she is never pleased with my illegal act. B)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Jul 2014 21:32 #36 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Is every speed limit too low
When it flashes and displays your speed that is your indication of making the high score.

31 Jul 2014 15:37 #37 by PrintSmith
Some of them are programmed to flash red and blue lights when you record the high score for the day. :woohoo:

31 Jul 2014 15:55 #38 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Is every speed limit too low
Those are my favorites

31 Jul 2014 19:50 #39 by Venturer
:ohmy: I have never tried this. Something to put on my bucket list. And I will be sure to play "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" by Jan and Dean. :cheer:

PrintSmith wrote: Some of them are programmed to flash red and blue lights when you record the high score for the day. :woohoo:

01 Aug 2014 16:05 #40 by PrintSmith
The one on Hwy 74 near Hidden Valley headed towards Bergen Park from I-70 is one of them. If'n my memory, best described as a steel colander, still serves me faithfully, the one headed from Bergen Park towards I-70 is programmed that way too.

Always happy to help someone scratch another item off of their bucket list! :flag:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds