Is every speed limit too low

24 Jul 2014 19:30 #1 by gmule
Hopefully this doesnt get sent to the ring
I stumbled across this interesting article on speed limits and it got me to thinking. Maybe the speed limits are too low. I know I am one of the half of the population drives above the speed limit.
priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2014 20:20 #2 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic Is every speed limit too low
Don't buy it. Hope you get lots of tickets to go along with your speed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: coveralls

24 Jul 2014 20:34 #3 by ScienceChic
Why do you think it would get sent to the Ring gmule? To follow up on that, what's wrong with the Ring? I happen to love it myself (I think we should be having more fun in there!). :biggrin:

On our last family trip to WY we got to enjoy the new 75mph speed limit they have. Funny thing was, we wondered if that meant that they'd be less lenient with us taking that 9 extra or not because now it's 84 instead of 74 (or had it been 70mph and not 65? I can't remember). We played it safe and only went 84. When it gets dark everyone slows down below the speed limit anyway because of the wildlife and long stretches with no street lights to improve long-range visibility.

I am a habitual speeder and my last accident was when I was 17, doing 45 in a 45, but had stopped paying attention to the road to mess with the radio. Minor damage to my car only and learned my lesson. In almost 25 years of driving, I've had only 5 or 6 speeding tickets because I am paying sharp attention to everything going on around me and looking farther ahead than most (I can tell by seeing the delayed reactions of those around me when something is coming up that we all need to react to). On days that I can tell that I'm not on top of my game, and can't concentrate as well as usual, I don't speed.

I think speed limits can certainly be raised, but those driving need to pay more attention if they are going to speed.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jul 2014 20:56 #4 by Blazer Bob
When I was young some western states had no set speed limit other than what you could drive safely given road conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otisptoadwater

24 Jul 2014 22:29 - 24 Jul 2014 23:07 #5 by otisptoadwater
Bob makes a good point - every driver should know what they are capable of and compensate for their equipment and conditions. When you're driving do that - drive, don't fiddle with the radio, cell phone, or other distractions.

Personally I would like to see most of our Interstates set up more like the Autobahns in Germany. If you're in the innermost lane you'd better be passing other cars on your right hand side otherwise get back over until you encounter a slower vehicle ahead and always give way to faster traffic.

On the other hand there are roads that I think everyone needs to slow down on such at two lane roads going through towns, residential streets, and other roads where terrain demands that drivers slow down due to blind and/or sharp corners and sharing the roads with bicycles, pedestrians, and equestrian traffic.

[sarcasm]Fortunately for all of us living here in the good old US of A we have an abundance of sheriffs, city police, and state patrol officers assigned to keep an eye on us as we blatantly violate the laws and rules of the roads.[/sarcasm] Morrison's finest come to mind for some odd reason...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

24 Jul 2014 22:50 #6 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Is every speed limit too low
To me it seems that instead of setting limits for mediocre drivers we should set the limits higher and get better drivers on the road. If we had tougher requirements to get a license we just might have less crashes on the roadways. I don't think I need to bring up the Morrison PD as an example

Science chick, I don't have anything against the ring per se but I do look forward to civil discussions

24 Jul 2014 22:58 #7 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Is every speed limit too low

Ashley wrote: Don't buy it. Hope you get lots of tickets to go along with your speed.

I haven't had a ticket in the last 20 years of driving. I'm not advocating wreckless speeding but raising the limits on some roads that have to low of a speed limit. Take US 285 from Hwy to Santa Fe. The limit has been raised from 55 to 65 from Kipling to Knox ct and from Knox ct to Santa Fe the limit went from 45 -55 there has been no increase on the amount of accidents even though the limit has been raised.

24 Jul 2014 23:09 #8 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote: Bob makes a good point - every driver should know what they are capable of and compensate for their equipment and conditions..

Thank you but it is not my point. I am just recalling a time when the country was not a nanny state.

24 Jul 2014 23:59 #9 by otisptoadwater

gmule wrote: To me it seems that instead of setting limits for mediocre drivers we should set the limits higher and get better drivers on the road. If we had tougher requirements to get a license we just might have less crashes on the roadways. I don't think I need to bring up the Morrison PD as an example

I brought up the Morrison PD because it is clear to me that Morrison is using traffic enforcement (speed traps for example) as a revenue generator instead of enforcing traffic laws to ensure public safety.

If we were living in an urban center where walking and public transportation are practical options I would otherwise agree with you. The economics of owning a car in downtown Boston, New York, London, or Tokyo dictate that the majority don't drive, they don't need to and they can't afford to in most cases.

Here in a more rural setting the reality is that little Johny and/or Jane will start training to drive at 15 and at 16 they will be on the road along with the rest of us who may choose to eat, yammer on the cell phone, or engage in any other number of distracting activities while driving. Don't forget that people are living longer and mobility is a big part of our quality of life but as we age we lose our reaction time and our senses begin to be diminished as well. The median mark for drivers on our roads may be lower than many of us would like or expect.

Even in the Autobahn model where the standards are high for drivers and most are religious about following the rules, when they have accidents they usually involve multiple fatalities. When the speed limit is literally the maximum speed at which you can safely operate your vehicle how much of a distraction is too much? Imagine cresting a hill at 120 MPH to discover a car in the fast lane moving at half your speed. Flashing your lights and laying on the horn and jamming the brakes might help but the distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you will close fast. Is there room to pass on the right? What happens when the other driver finally notices you rapidly closing on them and changes lanes back to the right as you attempt to pass? Is there room to pass on the left? What else is in the left shoulder? Can you safely decelerate and maintain your lane without rear ending the slower car (BTW, if you hit another car from behind on the Autobahn you are almost automatically going to be the guilty party with very few exceptions)?

Of course all of the above is strictly my opinion based on my own observations. I think it would be practical to raise speed limits in some areas of I-70, 285, C/E-470, I-76, I-25, and I-225. I also think the bigger challenge for the greater metro Denver area is the limited numbers of roads and highways and the volume of vehicles on the roads at peak periods of traffic. Sure the speed limit on I-25 is 65 MPH through most of Denver but good luck if you are on that stretch of highway between 3:00 and 6:00 PM on any given weekday.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

25 Jul 2014 07:05 #10 by FredHayek
I think distracted drivers are much more dangerous than speeding drivers. I drive about 5-10 miles above the speed limit even with police nearby. I figure they don't want to write a 5MPH ticket. Haven't been busted for speeding in decades.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds