Is every speed limit too low

07 Aug 2014 08:16 #71 by FredHayek
Some posters might try to be nicer to get higher karma or the reverse, see if they can break a record for negative karma.
Who is lowest now? And highest?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Aug 2014 09:55 #72 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Is every speed limit too low
This Karma thing would be a little better if everyone could see who gave or took karma from someone else. But still it is silly and worthless imo.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

07 Aug 2014 13:31 #73 by Venturer
I find I like the karma ratings. If I am not mistaken many people on this board seem to make more of an effort to give their point of view rather than a personal attack. And it gives feedback to the poster as to what others think of their posts. Granted some don't like the post and may be giving feedback for that reason? I always thought PrintSmith as being pretty logical and reasonable but recently his posts say not so much and his feedback reflects it. So he can decide that he can reword or ignore but at least he has some idea as to how others view him. And some will always ignore no matter what the feedback.

07 Aug 2014 15:21 #74 by PrintSmith

swansei wrote: Then work to change it, but until then comply with the speed limit and be a safer driver for all concerned.

Individual nullification, on a massive scale, is one way of working to change the law, isn't it? Civil disobedience has a long history in our Union when change is sought, doesn't it?

With regards to "safer driver for all concerned", I must not be making myself very clear because the premise I'm pursuing is that when all around you are doing 10 over you are actually making the road safer for everyone on it by doing 10 over yourself than you are by following the speed limit. Would you like to make a counter argument to that premise swansei? There are ample numbers of studies done which confirm that premise to be the correct one if you want to do some research on it. Why, even our own State Patrol gets out in front of traffic on I-70 when it is very congested and sets a moving roadblock to homogenize the speed of traffic with the end result sought being a safer journey on congested roads.

07 Aug 2014 15:33 #75 by PrintSmith

FredHayek wrote: Some posters might try to be nicer to get higher karma or the reverse, see if they can break a record for negative karma.
Who is lowest now? And highest?

I think I hold the record for lowest at -13, folks don't like to hear that science, not man, decides when your life began I guess.

Venturer wrote: I always thought PrintSmith as being pretty logical and reasonable but recently his posts say not so much and his feedback reflects it.

I'm actually one who knows I've hit a nerve with my logic and reason when I start getting "smites". When I get an emotional reaction in response to a logical argument I know I'm on target with the message.

07 Aug 2014 15:48 #76 by Blazer Bob

Venturer wrote: I find I like the karma ratings. If I am not mistaken many people on this board seem to make more of an effort to give their point of view rather than a personal attack. And it gives feedback to the poster as to what others think of their posts. Granted some don't like the post and may be giving feedback for that reason? I always thought PrintSmith as being pretty logical and reasonable but recently his posts say not so much and his feedback reflects it. So he can decide that he can reword or ignore but at least he has some idea as to how others view him. And some will always ignore no matter what the feedback.

I thought it was a cumulative # that applies to the poster not a particular post. Am I wrong?

07 Aug 2014 15:51 #77 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Is every speed limit too low
Ok so to remain off topic for a second, what does the "Thank You" mean and who gives those out? I got two and have no idea why. Better that a "F#@k You" so I'm not complaining.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

07 Aug 2014 16:12 #78 by Blazer Bob

Rick wrote: Ok so to remain off topic for a second, what does the "Thank You" mean and who gives those out? I got two and have no idea why. Better that a "F#@k You" so I'm not complaining.

I thought the thank you applied to specific posts and not posters. I might be suffering from cranial anal syndrome.

07 Aug 2014 16:28 #79 by MyMountainTown
For explanations of, and how to use, Thank Yous and Karma (among other features), please see our threads on those topics and more in our new FAQ Forum (located just above the Highway/Campfire).

Thanks! :wave:

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

07 Aug 2014 20:49 #80 by swansei
How about instead of calling it karma, rate the post with an optional like/dislike using the plus and minus. Then it isn't about the person or their karma but the content of the post. Perhaps improvement in how it is stated. And not limit it to one per person per six hours or whatever it is -assuming it is possible to change this feature.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds