Is every speed limit too low

05 Aug 2014 07:31 #51 by Brandon
In the geek's dream world, before a police officer could give someone a speeding ticket he'd have to do a statistical analysis of traffic speed, inspect the tires, suspension, and steering of the car, and administer a reflex test.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2014 10:37 #52 by Nobody that matters
I would love to see those that believe they are a better driver than average undergo testing to find out where they really rank. IMHO, those that normally exceed the normal flow of traffic by a large margin would more often than not fail that testing - the 'best' drivers are the ones that recognize risks and drive in ways that serve to mitigate those risks.

The best drivers don't have the fastest reflexes. They have the knowledge and ability to avoid relying on reflexes.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

05 Aug 2014 12:33 #53 by pacamom
What defines an average driver? And what defines exceeding the normal flow of traffic by a large margin?

I would like to find out what kind of driver I am. Can you tell me where I can take that test to find out where I rank? I wonder what type of person I would be ranked against?

05 Aug 2014 13:13 #54 by Nobody that matters

pacamom wrote: What defines an average driver? And what defines exceeding the normal flow of traffic by a large margin?

I would like to find out what kind of driver I am. Can you tell me where I can take that test to find out where I rank? I wonder what type of person I would be ranked against?

We can rank all drivers against my benchmark. Y'all will naturally fall short of my mark, but it'll give you something to shoot for. :biggrin:

05 Aug 2014 18:35 #55 by PrintSmith

Brandon wrote: In the geek's dream world, before a police officer could give someone a speeding ticket he'd have to do a statistical analysis of traffic speed, inspect the tires, suspension, and steering of the car, and administer a reflex test.

In the dream world of a freedom loving citizen random government agencies wouldn't be able to legislate generic speed limits based on their desire to generate revenue. Before an enforceable sign was installed on a highway there would have to be a traffic study done and the limit would be required to adhere to the 85% rule. Under that scenario we'd have a speed limit of about 55 through "The Luge" and 65 in 4 lane divided highway sections of 285. And under that scenario those who exceeded those limits would be receiving points and paying fines based on their actual infractions instead of invented ones.

That really isn't too much to ask for, is it? If you are going to have a law, and enforce the law, shouldn't the law itself be rooted in reason rather than emotions or desires?

05 Aug 2014 18:45 #56 by Blazer Bob

PrintSmith wrote: In the dream world of a freedom loving citizen

In a dream world. You got that right. In other news it looks like Co. is going your way regarding nanny stating pot.

www.washingtonpost.com/local/colorados-e...e1f974f8a_story.html

05 Aug 2014 20:03 #57 by swansei
And is it too much to ask people to observe the limit rather than justifying through their emotions or desires?

PrintSmith wrote:

Brandon wrote:
That really isn't too much to ask for, is it? If you are going to have a law, and enforce the law, shouldn't the law itself be rooted in reason rather than emotions or desires?

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

06 Aug 2014 06:52 #58 by Nobody that matters

swansei wrote: And is it too much to ask people to observe the limit rather than justifying through their emotions or desires?

When the speed limit is set too low, Yes. That's asking too much.

06 Aug 2014 07:26 #59 by Brandon
The geek has found it convenient to move from the general to the particular. He'll be thinking about that speeding ticket on his deathbed.

06 Aug 2014 10:15 #60 by swansei
Then work to change it, but until then comply with the speed limit and be a safer driver for all concerned.

Nobody that matters wrote:

swansei wrote: And is it too much to ask people to observe the limit rather than justifying through their emotions or desires?

When the speed limit is set too low, Yes. That's asking too much.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds