Oddly silent

15 Dec 2014 21:02 #41 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Oddly silent
What did he have to say (in a nutshell)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2014 21:11 #42 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote: What did he have to say (in a nutshell)?

I think it's best to hear from the source's mouth when possible. I'm sure it will be up again somewhere.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Dec 2014 21:13 #43 by ZHawke

Rick wrote:

ZHawke wrote: What did he have to say (in a nutshell)?

I think it's best to hear from the source's mouth when possible. I'm sure it will be up again somewhere.

When it is, please share.

15 Dec 2014 21:20 #44 by Rick
Here's one but I don't have time to watch it, but I'll be back tomorrow to discuss.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Dec 2014 08:35 #45 by ZHawke
Bastards! No other word(s) to describe this. None.

Thoughts and prayers for those affected, but this also goes to show why diplomacy with Islamic nations in the Middle East may be a way to help address this problem worldwide. Seems to me if Pakistan does little to nothing as a result of this atrocity, it will go a long way to exposing them for any hypocrisy they show the rest of the world regarding their stance on terrorism.

Emotions run wild when reading this. On the one hand, emotions dictate going to any lengths to discover these events before they occur. On the other hand, emotions dictate a more "level-headed" approach and analysis.

www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakist...hawar-school-attack/

16 Dec 2014 09:23 #46 by Rick

ZHawke wrote: Bastards! No other word(s) to describe this. None.

Thoughts and prayers for those affected, but this also goes to show why diplomacy with Islamic nations in the Middle East may be a way to help address this problem worldwide. Seems to me if Pakistan does little to nothing as a result of this atrocity, it will go a long way to exposing them for any hypocrisy they show the rest of the world regarding their stance on terrorism.

Emotions run wild when reading this. On the one hand, emotions dictate going to any lengths to discover these events before they occur. On the other hand, emotions dictate a more "level-headed" approach and analysis.

www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakist...hawar-school-attack/

I would say the EVIL is a good word to describe those who would gun down little kids.

George Orwell

16 Dec 2014 09:48 #47 by ZHawke
Agreed!

16 Dec 2014 09:56 #48 by ZHawke
The subject of torture is a conundrum from my perspective. I see instances of atrocities like the one I just shared and feel the emotion of "do whatever it takes" to wipe this scourge from the face of the Earth. And then I read documentation provided by the CIA, itself, on the process they used for interrogation, and my emotions swing inexorably in the opposite direction.

This document is heavily redacted, but there's enough that isn't so that the reader gets a pretty good idea of what actually went on:

www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/torturingdemocrac...cuments/20040507.pdf

And, Rick, I did watch the entire interview with Dr. Mitchell which, in turn, prompted me to dig further. That's when I found the CIA document linked to above. I also found a document that shows an ethics violation complaint had been filed against Dr. Mitchell in Texas by a psychologist colleague (professional level - of the same profession - only, not personal from what I understand). This ethics violation was eventually dismissed, but appears to me it should be taken pretty seriously especially given the textual facts as presented in the CIA report provided above.

There's a LOT of emotion associated with all things terrorist. Those emotions, however, do not, in my opinion, excuse man's inhumanity to man in any scenario.

16 Dec 2014 11:03 #49 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote: There's a LOT of emotion associated with all things terrorist. Those emotions, however, do not, in my opinion, excuse man's inhumanity to man in any scenario.

The "Two Wrongs Never Make A Right" school of thought. But it begs the question of whether or not one who would intentionally gun down children for retribution is worthy of being included in the "human" category, doesn't it?

16 Dec 2014 11:09 #50 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote: There's a LOT of emotion associated with all things terrorist. Those emotions, however, do not, in my opinion, excuse man's inhumanity to man in any scenario.

The "Two Wrongs Never Make A Right" school of thought. But it begs the question of whether or not one who would intentionally gun down children for retribution is worthy of being included in the "human" category, doesn't it?

A logical follow-on question would, then, be what actually constitutes "human"?

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds