Oddly silent

16 Dec 2014 16:21 #61 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Oddly silent
20/20 sanctimonious hindsight, or sobering reality?

www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/12/13/249968_ye...-detention.html?rh=1

Documented on other sites, as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2014 17:13 #62 by ZHawke
The more I research, the more pissed off I get: www.factcheck.org/2014/12/cheneys-tortured-facts/

One sided? Non-partisan? Democratic political maneuver? Hardly....

Cheney also told only part of the story on “Meet the Press” when he said the Intelligence Committee’s investigators failed to interview key CIA officials, a point raised often by other critics of the report.

Cheney, Dec. 14: "The report is seriously flawed. They didn’t talk to anybody who knew anything about the program. They didn’t talk to anybody within the program."

That’s true as far as it goes. What Cheney failed to mention, however, is that the committee investigators were deferring to Justice Department investigators who were pursuing possible criminal charges, and that the Senate staff had access to transcripts of dozens of interviews with CIA officials conducted by the agency’s own inspector general and others.

16 Dec 2014 18:07 #63 by ZHawke

16 Dec 2014 18:17 #64 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Oddly silent
For what it's worth, here is a recent poll from after the report was released...

In the poll, 51 percent say the interrogation practices used during the Bush Era were acceptable, while 28 percent say they went too far and were wrong.

In addition, 45 percent think they should be used in the future, versus 28 percent who disagree.

www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cia-torture-re...e-acceptable-n269211

And also for what it's worth, I do consider water boarding to be a form of torture. But I'm not losing any sleep over the fact that three of the worst scumbags ever got water boarded in this country, not that I'd of supported it.

I have more a problem with rendition where we send them to other countries and most anything might happen. Even under our own "control", our policies at the time have influenced disgraceful actions. See Abu Ghraib...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

16 Dec 2014 21:21 #65 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote:

Rick wrote: Well, "we" as a country don't consider unborn life to be human, so I don't see anything wrong with exempting these barbarians from the human race.

Not so sure that's a relevant comparison. Would that not also make "we"/"us" barbarians, as well?

Yes, imo it does. "We" have killed so many unborn humans that "we" have become indifferent to it. Just because "we've" been doing this killing for so long, that doesn't mean the killing is more moral than pouring water on the face of a murdering terrorist in order to scare the holy crap out of him.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Dec 2014 21:31 #66 by ZHawke

Rick wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

Rick wrote: Well, "we" as a country don't consider unborn life to be human, so I don't see anything wrong with exempting these barbarians from the human race.

Not so sure that's a relevant comparison. Would that not also make "we"/"us" barbarians, as well?

Yes, imo it does. "We" have killed so many unborn humans that "we" have become indifferent to it. Just because "we've" been doing this killing for so long, that doesn't mean the killing is more moral than pouring water on the face of a murdering terrorist in order to scare the holy crap out of him.

So, you condone torture?

17 Dec 2014 05:52 #67 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Oddly silent
A group of us were discussing the "torture" and it came down to this. Say all you want about whether or not you condone the type of "torture" used, make it personal.

If your wife/husband/child/parents/friend were being held by someone, and would likely be raped/tortured/killed if you didn't find them, and you had the opportunity to "torture" an accomplice of the one holding your loved one to find them and save them....would you condone it.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

17 Dec 2014 05:59 #68 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Oddly silent
To answer RenCJ, without hesitation and to what ever extent it took.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

17 Dec 2014 07:41 #69 by ZHawke

RenegadeCJ wrote: A group of us were discussing the "torture" and it came down to this. Say all you want about whether or not you condone the type of "torture" used, make it personal.

If your wife/husband/child/parents/friend were being held by someone, and would likely be raped/tortured/killed if you didn't find them, and you had the opportunity to "torture" an accomplice of the one holding your loved one to find them and save them....would you condone it.

Not the same thing at all. I don't believe the two have anything whatsoever to do with each other.

You and I both know we would do anything we could on a personal level to safeguard and protect members of our family and loved ones. That's a totally different thing from sanctioning and engaging in government sponsored torture.

It seems odd to me so many are willing to go to that extreme and support government actions of torture while so strenuously "criminalizing" government actions in so many other areas.

17 Dec 2014 07:59 #70 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote: A group of us were discussing the "torture" and it came down to this. Say all you want about whether or not you condone the type of "torture" used, make it personal.

Not the same thing at all. I don't believe the two have anything whatsoever to do with each other.

You and I both know we would do anything we could on a personal level to safeguard and protect members of our family and loved ones. That's a totally different thing from sanctioning and engaging in government sponsored torture.

It seems odd to me so many are willing to go to that extreme and support government actions of torture while so strenuously "criminalizing" government actions in so many other areas.

It is the same to me. You either condone it, or you don't. Is torture ok or not.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds