Oddly silent

16 Dec 2014 11:15 #51 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Oddly silent

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote: There's a LOT of emotion associated with all things terrorist. Those emotions, however, do not, in my opinion, excuse man's inhumanity to man in any scenario.

The "Two Wrongs Never Make A Right" school of thought. But it begs the question of whether or not one who would intentionally gun down children for retribution is worthy of being included in the "human" category, doesn't it?

One would also wonder if even the thought of trying to negotiate or reason with type of life form would be categorized as insanity, or at the very least, magnificently naïve.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2014 11:15 #52 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Oddly silent
Humans make mistakes. Inhumans are mistakes.

16 Dec 2014 11:17 #53 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote: There's a LOT of emotion associated with all things terrorist. Those emotions, however, do not, in my opinion, excuse man's inhumanity to man in any scenario.

The "Two Wrongs Never Make A Right" school of thought. But it begs the question of whether or not one who would intentionally gun down children for retribution is worthy of being included in the "human" category, doesn't it?

A logical follow-on question would, then, be what actually constitutes "human"?

Well, "we" as a country don't consider unborn life to be human, so I don't see anything wrong with exempting these barbarians from the human race.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell
The following user(s) said Thank You: PrintSmith

16 Dec 2014 12:19 #54 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Oddly silent

Rick wrote: Well, "we" as a country don't consider unborn life to be human, so I don't see anything wrong with exempting these barbarians from the human race.

Not so sure that's a relevant comparison. Would that not also make "we"/"us" barbarians, as well?

16 Dec 2014 12:19 #55 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote: Humans make mistakes. Inhumans are mistakes.

What is an "Inhuman", then?

16 Dec 2014 14:33 #56 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Oddly silent

ZHawke wrote:

Rick wrote: Well, "we" as a country don't consider unborn life to be human, so I don't see anything wrong with exempting these barbarians from the human race.

Not so sure that's a relevant comparison. Would that not also make "we"/"us" barbarians, as well?

Are you truly attempting to compare a person willing to walk into a school and murder over a hundred unarmed children as a means of retribution with a man and a woman, sometimes only one of them, deciding to destroy their own progeny?

16 Dec 2014 14:51 #57 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

Are you truly attempting to compare a person willing to walk into a school and murder over a hundred unarmed children as a means of retribution with a man and a woman, sometimes only one of them, deciding to destroy their own progeny?

I'll try to be nice here. The reality is, we need to look in the mirror a little more often, IMO. When anyone takes things as literally as you appear to all too often do, the take away is your inference. When someone tries to point out the inhumanity of man toward his fellow man, does it not resonate with you? Not even a little bit?

Given the intent of this thread from the get go, reality would also, IMO, compel one to look at what goes on within our own intelligence community regarding torture. Do you condone torture? Even the CIA acknowledges some of their EIT went beyond what they were authorized to do. One of the detainees is admitted by the CIA to have died as a direct result.

Splitting hairs over what legally constitutes torture and then pushing right up upon those limits, and sometimes going over those limits, makes those who conducted those EITs and those who sanctioned their use just as barbaric as those a&%holes that murdered/slaughtered innocent children in Pakistan.

This country needs to get off its high horse of American Exceptionalism and take a really hard and deep look at how it projects itself - do as I say, not as I do.

16 Dec 2014 15:18 - 16 Dec 2014 15:40 #58 by ZHawke
One of those "look in the mirror moments": fair.org/blog/2014/12/16/foxs-oreilly-al...s-have-been-muslims/

For the record, I do NOT condone what those bastard Taliban murderers did. That isn't open for discussion (you can discuss it - I will not). The point I'm trying to make is we have our own home-grown terrorists, too, whether we want to call them that or not. They are domestic terrorists when they shoot em up here in this country. I also consider those who engaged in EIT as no better than any other terrorist either. In fact, one could argue they are not only terrorists, but also sadistic.

16 Dec 2014 15:39 #59 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Oddly silent
Just as barbaric? 20 20 sanctimonious hindsight is just as appalling.

ZHawke wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

I'll try to be nice here. The reality is, we need to look in the mirror a little more often, IMO. When anyone takes things as literally as you appear to all too often do, the take away is your inference. When someone tries to point out the inhumanity of man toward his fellow man, does it not resonate with you? Not even a little bit?

Given the intent of this thread from the get go, reality would also, IMO, compel one to look at what goes on within our own intelligence community regarding torture. Do you condone torture? Even the CIA acknowledges some of their EIT went beyond what they were authorized to do. One of the detainees is admitted by the CIA to have died as a direct result.

Splitting hairs over what legally constitutes torture and then pushing right up upon those limits, and sometimes going over those limits, makes those who conducted those EITs and those who sanctioned their use just as barbaric as those a&%holes that murdered/slaughtered innocent children in Pakistan.

This country needs to get off its high horse of American Exceptionalism and take a really hard and deep look at how it projects itself - do as I say, not as I do.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jf1acai

16 Dec 2014 15:42 #60 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote: Just as barbaric? 20 20 sanctimonious hindsight is just as appalling.

Yep - every bit as barbaric. Not being willing to acknowledge/accept our failings is what I consider to be appalling.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds