Some perspective on "immigration"?

14 Dec 2014 09:24 #181 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Some perspective on "immigration"?

HEARTLESS wrote: If you have a link showing scientists, doctors, etc. that are here illegally, please provide it. The overwhelming majority that are here illegally are unskilled, taking American jobs from Americans and cost more than they provide under false identification and now getting welfare.

That's rich - you asking me for a link.

I'd counter with do YOU have a link that verifies your assertion the "overwhelming majority" are "unskilled, taking American jobs from Americans and cost more than they provide"? I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but you made the assertion. Now, I'm asking you to back it up with factual information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2014 09:30 #182 by HEARTLESS

ZHawke wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: If you have a link showing scientists, doctors, etc. that are here illegally, please provide it. The overwhelming majority that are here illegally are unskilled, taking American jobs from Americans and cost more than they provide under false identification and now getting welfare.

That's rich - you asking me for a link.

I'd counter with do YOU have a link that verifies your assertion the "overwhelming majority" are "unskilled, taking American jobs from Americans and cost more than they provide"? I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but you made the assertion. Now, I'm asking you to back it up with factual information.

When you actually answer questions posed to you, I'll be glad to. In the meantime KMA!

The silent majority will be silent no more.

14 Dec 2014 09:46 #183 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: When you actually answer questions posed to you, I'll be glad to. In the meantime KMA!

That goes both ways, H - the question aspect. I won't stoop so low as to use the same acronym you used for me.

You seem to be always on the attack. Why is that? Your "questions" are no more valid than are mine. You seldom make any attempt to answer any questions I pose, but you certainly are quick to try and take the discussion somewhere other than where it ought to be. The only rational reason I come up with is because you do not, in fact, have a viable response to the questions posed to you. So, instead of just admitting that, you lash out and hope your forcefulness will be enough to intimidate your adversary into silence.

General "blanket" assertions appear to be a favorite tool of conservatives. Prove me wrong.

14 Dec 2014 11:36 #184 by Rick
I think it just takes a little common sense to figure out who is risking life and limb to illegally enter the US. How likely is it that a highly skilled Mexican needs to risk everything to illegally enter the country knowing full well that it will be nearly impossible to get a high skill job without being a citizen? Plus, don't you think the people with valuable skills, like in medicine, would be in high demand in Mexico? These people would probably have an easier shot entering legally because they have so much more to offer and more money to make the move. Sorry I don't have a link for my common sense theory.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Dec 2014 11:40 #185 by ZHawke

Rick wrote: I think it just takes a little common sense to figure out who is risking life and limb to illegally enter the US. How likely is it that a highly skilled Mexican needs to risk everything to illegally enter the country knowing full well that it will be nearly impossible to get a high skill job without being a citizen? Plus, don't you think the people with valuable skills, like in medicine, would be in high demand in Mexico? These people would probably have an easier shot entering legally because they have so much more to offer and more money to make the move. Sorry I don't have a link for my common sense theory.

To quote a quote from the "What's your favorite quote" thread:

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.

Yes, I shared that one in that thread, too.

14 Dec 2014 11:57 #186 by Blazer Bob

ZHawke wrote:
General "blanket" assertions appear to be a favorite tool of conservatives. Prove me wrong.

Thank you for that. Seriously, call me simple or easily amused but you made my morning.

14 Dec 2014 12:11 #187 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

Thank you for that. Seriously, call me simple or easily amused but you made my morning.

You are most assuredly welcome. Glad to oblige.

14 Dec 2014 14:02 #188 by Mary Scott

ZHawke wrote: General "blanket" assertions appear to be a favorite tool of conservatives. Prove me wrong.

Sorry that I can't prove you wrong, but that does seem to be a "General 'blanket' assertion" on it's own.

But then “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence” so I think I will dismiss both those last statements.

;)

14 Dec 2014 15:35 #189 by ZHawke

Mary Scott wrote:

ZHawke wrote: General "blanket" assertions appear to be a favorite tool of conservatives. Prove me wrong.

Sorry that I can't prove you wrong, but that does seem to be a "General 'blanket' assertion" on it's own.

But then “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence” so I think I will dismiss both those last statements.

;)

My point exactly. Thank you.

:snowfort:

14 Dec 2014 17:17 #190 by Rick

ZHawke wrote:

Rick wrote: I think it just takes a little common sense to figure out who is risking life and limb to illegally enter the US. How likely is it that a highly skilled Mexican needs to risk everything to illegally enter the country knowing full well that it will be nearly impossible to get a high skill job without being a citizen? Plus, don't you think the people with valuable skills, like in medicine, would be in high demand in Mexico? These people would probably have an easier shot entering legally because they have so much more to offer and more money to make the move. Sorry I don't have a link for my common sense theory.

To quote a quote from the "What's your favorite quote" thread:

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.

Yes, I shared that one in that thread, too.

So you believe highly skilled Mexicans (doctors, scientists, etc.) are risking their lives to get into the US illegally? Does that make any sense to you? I know you like to debate in maybes and I don't knows, but at some point a little reason and common sense has to slip in somewhere.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds