NAACP Fights To Keep Kids Trapped in Failing Schools

03 Jun 2011 23:17 #1 by Blazer Bob
Many civil rights groups around the nation have strongly supported school choice initiatives, mainly out of concern for inner-city children who have traditionally been stuck in sub-par schools.

Civil rights leaders understand that education is the key to escaping the cycle of poverty that's prevalent in many inner-city neighborhoods. Kids trapped in poorly run, dangerous schools often don't receive the instruction required to move on to college or a decent job.

Those children need quality options like charter schools, or government vouchers to pay tuition at private schools, if they are going to have a chance to succeed. Most civil rights leaders understand that concept and want to help children seek quality education beyond their geographic school district boundaries.

So why isn't the NAACP on board?

That organization has joined New York City's United Federation of Teachers in filing a lawsuit that would prevent the closure of approximately two dozen failing schools, prevent several dozen charter schools from sharing space in public school buildings, and prevent the opening of at least two new charter schools.

In other words, the NAACP is suing to keep a lot of black kids trapped in really bad schools, with no options for escape.

It isn't just white guys like me who are shocked by the group's indifference to the plight of its New York City constituency. The New York Daily News published a scathing op-ed co-written by the president of the United Negro College Fund. Michael Lomax wrote in part:

http://www.publicschoolspending.com/dai ... g-schools/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2011 08:43 #2 by 2wlady
There are failing schools which pulled themselves out of failing to succeeding. I believe money should be spent to adapt those schools' elements of success to the particular schools that are failing.

As far as NAACP and teachers unions, that seems to be speculation, from what I glean from the article.

04 Jun 2011 08:59 #3 by Blazer Bob

2wlady wrote: There are failing schools which pulled themselves out of failing to succeeding. I believe money should be spent to adapt those schools' elements of success to the particular schools that are failing.

As far as NAACP and teachers unions, that seems to be speculation, from what I glean from the article.

If more money would fix it, I would favor it also. The success stories I come across are the result of better management not more $.

04 Jun 2011 09:08 #4 by 2wlady
What I mean is that it takes money to investigate the schools that went from failing to succeeding and adapt them to these schools. I see trips to the succeeding schools and discussing how they did it. Then, meetings to adapt the ideas to the current failing schools in other school districts and states.

Includes management, but the succeeding schools have changed more than just management.

04 Jun 2011 10:36 #5 by Blazer Bob

2wlady wrote: What I mean is that it takes money to investigate the schools that went from failing to succeeding and adapt them to these schools. I see trips to the succeeding schools and discussing how they did it. Then, meetings to adapt the ideas to the current failing schools in other school districts and states.

Includes management, but the succeeding schools have changed more than just management.

Do a study? While another generation of our kids slide into illiteracy.

Forget the NAACP aspect of the story. Why not let the city proceed with their plans. Parents want it. Civil Rights groups want it. Let the have it.

" Today’s protests are an outgrowth of the NAACP’s decision to join New York City’s United Federation of Teachers in a lawsuit against the city. Both organizations want to halt city plans that would close a number of failing traditional public schools, increase the number of public charter schools, and allow charters to share building space with traditional schools.

Despite the fact that many civil rights groups around the nation strongly support school choice initiatives that free inner-city children from subpar schools, the NAACP strongly opposes school choice."

05 Jun 2011 08:06 #6 by 2wlady
What I am talking about is having one school's representatives, principal, vice principal and teachers from each grade, meet with a successful school and hash out what they have done and what the failing school can do with this information to customize it for their students.

Then the failing school's reps return and meet with teachers who weren't at the meeting to further refine the new program.

Sheesh, Neptune, it's not that difficult. But it does take some funding.

05 Jun 2011 11:39 #7 by Blazer Bob

2wlady wrote: What I am talking about is having one school's representatives, principal, vice principal and teachers from each grade, meet with a successful school and hash out what they have done and what the failing school can do with this information to customize it for their students.

Then the failing school's reps return and meet with teachers who weren't at the meeting to further refine the new program.

New York City has a plan. I suspect millions of words have already been spoken during its crafting. The educational establishment that has graduated generations of illiterates wants to block it. Why would anyone support condemning another generation of children to ignorance and poverty?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

"Ms. Dukes said that critics of the lawsuit "can march and have rallies all day long. . . . We will not respond."

What schoolhouses is Ms. Dukes standing in the doorway to protect? Well, at the Academy for Collaborative Education, one of the Harlem schools that the city wants to close, only 3% of students were performing at grade level in English last year, and only 9% in math. At Columbus High School in the Bronx, another school slated for closure, the four-year graduation rate in 2009 was 40%, versus a citywide average of 63%, and less than 10% of special education students graduated on time."

05 Jun 2011 12:53 #8 by Obam me

Why would anyone support condemning another generation of children to ignorance and poverty?

Gotta keep those government entitlements alive and well. The Democrats need the voters.

05 Jun 2011 12:59 #9 by Obam me

All the funding on the planet will never buy personal drive and ambition. Until students find that within themselves, throwing money at them is pure waste.

06 Jun 2011 09:08 #10 by 2wlady
Schools can turn around in spite of the kids. But it can be a quite drastic change for teachers and students.

I believe it needs to be done on a school-by-school basis, because each school has a different mix of students.

In my albeit limited experience with Jr. Achievement, I've seen schools 95% Hispanic with lots of gang parents, 90% white school, with mid- to high-middle class income, but 10% apartment, lower income students, etc. They each have a different demographic that should be customized.

And I'm not saying every school will be successful, but taking New York City, there are so many differences in the schools that one policy cannot work for each school.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds