Facebook Eats Nearly A Billion Hours Of Time A Month

13 Sep 2011 09:03 #1 by Wayne Harrison
In May, Americans alone spent 53 billion minutes on Facebook.

Yes, that’s billions with a b. That’s 883 million hours per month. Put another way, it’s the equivalent of having 5.5 million people with full-time jobs do nothing but look at Facebook from 9-5.

It’s not surprising when you realize 23% of our time online is spent on social networks.

One in 13 people on Earth now use Facebook. That's more than Google.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart ... h-facebook

I'm wondering how long until Facebook is banned in the workplace?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2011 09:10 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Facebook Eats Nearly A Billion Hours Of Time A Month
Funny, someone asked me how we (communities bound) were going to take away time from FB users.

My answer was these sites are about Community. You can be anonymous on our sites, and that is how you meet people, you do not have to know people before you talk t them. So if they ban FB better for us at some point. However it is about being addicted to seeing posts and seeing if someone responded to your post.

I didn't see average per user. That was the number I was interested in.

13 Sep 2011 09:20 #3 by pacamom
What about the people who are logged into FB, but not looking at it? How do they count that time? I can be logged in all day, but only look at it for a couple of minutes each day. But then again, I have no friends, so it doesn't take too long.

13 Sep 2011 09:32 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I think Facebook and Communities Bound have a very different model, since CB allows anonymous posters. I've never thought of the two as similar.

Facebook is about sharing with your friends and family. It is a more congenial atmosphere because of that. The ability to instantly share and get updates on what your friends are doing is also a plus over a standard online forum. Google Plus is taking that sharing concept one step further, but I don't see it ever catching up to Facebook.

13 Sep 2011 09:51 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Facebook Eats Nearly A Billion Hours Of Time A Month
I agree but I think the point from the person was---- People have a certain amount of time so how does it get split up on the internet? For them it was about how to pull people away from FB. The two models are different.

13 Sep 2011 10:29 - 13 Sep 2011 10:46 #6 by Wayne Harrison
If anyone could figure out how to pull people away from Facebook, they'd have the next big thing. It's helpful to look at what Facebook did to pull people away from MySpace, which was the last big thing. Some of of the best minds in Social Media are trying to figure it all out.

Here is a link to the research:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/social/

13 Sep 2011 10:44 #7 by The Viking

pacamom wrote: What about the people who are logged into FB, but not looking at it? How do they count that time? I can be logged in all day, but only look at it for a couple of minutes each day. But then again, I have no friends, so it doesn't take too long.

I am your friend...... :thumbsup:

13 Sep 2011 10:55 #8 by pacamom

The Viking wrote:

pacamom wrote: What about the people who are logged into FB, but not looking at it? How do they count that time? I can be logged in all day, but only look at it for a couple of minutes each day. But then again, I have no friends, so it doesn't take too long.

I am your friend...... :thumbsup:

You are? I better go check that list again. :biggrin:

13 Sep 2011 11:01 #9 by Wayne Harrison
I hadn't thought about this until now but I am a friend and at least one of my friends is now a friend of yours, paca... so we get exposed to the thoughts of friends of friends in our daily FB interaction. It's not just a closed loop of friends interacting with one another.

13 Sep 2011 11:54 #10 by pacamom
Well, I was just teasing Viking. And I became his FB friend because I already knew him. Just like I already knew you. And why I asked you who that person that knew you was. I do actually know face to face 97% of my FB friends. The others are friends of friends. I can make FB as closed looped as I want, whereas here, I don't have that ability. What I post here is seen by everyone who comes to this site. So I am very careful of what I post here.

I think of FB and 285B as two completely different types of socialization.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds