I've never seen so many hummingbirds at our place....

08 Jun 2010 20:50 #1 by AspenValley
We've lived here more than 20 years and this year is absolutely the all-time record for the number of the cute little birds at our feeders. I just went out after the rain stopped and counted more than a dozen birds feeding at once on our various feeders. They are getting along relatively well, too.

But I guess all the peaceful co-existence will end when the Rufous get here in a few weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2010 20:56 #2 by ScienceChic
One of the things I miss most from moving down to the city from Conifer - we just can't seem to attract any hummingbirds at all. Glad to hear they are out in very good numbers!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Jun 2010 21:01 #3 by Sunshine Girl
Thanks for reminding us. We're going to put some up tomorrow!  :Thanks:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

08 Jun 2010 23:33 #4 by pineinthegrass
Yeah, lots of them this year! I'm still hearing them even now, and it's late. Our feeder is pretty busy as well!

09 Jun 2010 05:44 #5 by TPP

AspenValley wrote: We've lived here more than 20 years and this year is absolutely the all-time record for the number of the cute little birds at our feeders. I just went out after the rain stopped and counted more than a dozen birds feeding at once on our various feeders. They are getting along relatively well, too.

But I guess all the peaceful co-existence will end when the Rufous get here in a few weeks.

So they all came to your house, haven't seen that many at my place...

Maybe we should put out the feeders?

09 Jun 2010 07:54 #6 by AspenValley

TPP wrote:

AspenValley wrote: We've lived here more than 20 years and this year is absolutely the all-time record for the number of the cute little birds at our feeders. I just went out after the rain stopped and counted more than a dozen birds feeding at once on our various feeders. They are getting along relatively well, too.

So they all came to your house, haven't seen that many at my place...

Maybe we should put out the feeders?

Oh yeah, it's definitely a case of "build it and they will come" with hummingbirds. And you have to put them out early because they start nesting soon after they arrive in late April and typically nest near a food supply. So if you haven't been feeding them, you might not attract that many now even if you put out feeders. Worth a try though. And you will probably pick up a few Rufous anyway!

09 Jun 2010 08:07 #7 by pinedust
This is from a few years ago, there is always a debate as to how many are actually there.
I called it "Segregation" when I posted it before.

09 Jun 2010 08:10 #8 by Sunshine Girl

pinedust wrote: This is from a few years ago, there is always a debate as to how many are actually there.
I called it "Segregation" when I posted it before.

We're putting them up today. I hope we get the results you do. Do you have to worry about bears? Is it better to put them up on the second story?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

09 Jun 2010 08:13 #9 by pinedust
The bears don't seem to bother our feeders, this one is up off the second story.

09 Jun 2010 08:13 - 09 Jun 2010 08:18 #10 by netdude
I have seen about the same as last year... I was averaging about a 1/2 gallon of nectar a day last year and have been about the same this year..... I think that works out to about 140-150 hummingbirds.

At one point last year the neighbors went on a 2 week vacation, so they had empty feeders, they all must have came to see us!
I was going through over a gallon a day. about 15 pounds of sugar in a couple of weeks.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1448154014015

A video from a couple of weeks ago, evening rush hour on the deck!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds