Smart phone?

09 Dec 2014 11:26 - 09 Dec 2014 11:27 #1 by Blazer Bob
Smart phone? was created by Blazer Bob
Since I am a valued Sprint costumer they are giving me a deal on leasing either a iphone 6 or a
Samsung
Galaxy S 5. What's the difference?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Dec 2014 11:38 - 09 Dec 2014 11:45 #2 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic Smart phone?
iphone is apple, Galaxy is android.

Same difference as getting a macbook or a windows 8 laptop.

Both will turn you into a zombie. :P

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Dec 2014 12:00 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Smart phone?

Nobody that matters wrote: iphone is apple, Galaxy is android.

Same difference as getting a macbook or a windows 8 laptop.

Both will turn you into a zombie. :P

Yes. I am already a zombie. The question is what is the difference between an apple zombie and an android zombie.

09 Dec 2014 12:19 #4 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic Smart phone?
There's about a thousand articles out there on the differences... I'll boil it all down for ya.

iphone is bigger. Galaxy snaps pics faster, but iphone is better in low light. Galaxy has a microSD slot, iphone doesn't. iphone battery lasts longer before needing a charge.

All other things being equal (features and specs on the phones), which operating system are you more familiar with? That's the one you should get.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Dec 2014 13:29 #5 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Smart phone?

Nobody that matters wrote: There's about a thousand articles out there on the differences... I'll boil it all down for ya.

iphone is bigger. Galaxy snaps pics faster, but iphone is better in low light. Galaxy has a microSD slot, iphone doesn't. iphone battery lasts longer before needing a charge.

All other things being equal (features and specs on the phones), which operating system are you more familiar with? That's the one you should get.

Thanks. I have heard that ianything is more intuitive. That would be good for me because I lag technology by many generations. I have a android phone but I am as familiar with it as I am the back side of the moon of yesteryear.

From your list battery life is the only thing I care about. So I am leaning that way.

09 Dec 2014 19:33 #6 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Smart phone?
I carry the Samsung Galaxy S 5 for my employer, the Android OS is intuitive if you know the Windows OS. I still have a Blackberry as a personal phone; I consider a cell phone to be just that - a phone. Having a background in Intelligence through the Navy makes me overly concerned about carrying devices that provide GPS tracking, microphones, and cameras. The Apple OS is more secure than the Android OS but I have some issues with the cost of Apple hardware and software vs. Windows or Linux so I'll admit I'm biased.

Regardless of the decision you make I have two pieces of advice for you:

1) Keep OPSEC in mind, don't populate your smart phone with data that doesn't need to be on it. I consider a smart phone to be a hand held version of a very capable laptop and they are getting more and more technology incorporated into them everyday. New apps like Apple pay make it easy for you to make purchases but is it worth the difference between paying with your phone vs. reaching in your pocket to get cash or a credit card? Don't be too quick to adopt the latest apps, wait and let them soak for a few months in the public space and keep tabs on any new exploits for the apps you have on your smart phone.

2) Pay for the insurance to have your phone replaced, it's too damn easy to drop it or knock it off a desk or table. Buy a good quality case, Otterbox and Magpul both make great cases and the best models cover the entire phone. My boss got his new Galaxy S 5 the same day I did. I came to work the next day with mine in an Otterbox Defender case, he dropped his in the parking lot when it fell out of his pocket. My current employer supplies hardware to employees but it's made clear that the employees are responsible for lost, stolen, and broken hardware - he had to fork out the cost to exchange the busted phone for a new one.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds