Surrender By Any Other Name---

09 Apr 2011 08:46 #1 by Nmysys
The spin is out in full speed mode this morning. In fact, if the spin gets any worse, I’ll need Dramamine. The media is exulting the “compromise” that averted a government shut down as a great thing. The inside the beltway crowd is applauding John Boehner.

Can someone please tell me how this is anything other than John Boehner hauling up the white flag because he is unwilling to fight? Can anyone please tell me how this is anything but a complete victory for the liberal Democrats, who want to keep spending this country into bankruptcy and poverty?

Conservatives wanted a few things in this budget. We wanted major budget cuts. We wanted Planned Parenthood defunded. We wanted NPR defunded. We wanted the EPA riders so that agency would quit killing jobs.

What did we get?

Read More: http://www.teapartynation.com/forum/topics/surrender-by-any-other-name

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2011 08:50 #2 by major bean
There is no difference between Republican or Democrat in Washington. It is a pony show.

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Apr 2011 09:02 #3 by kresspin
You don't always get what you want, especially in a compromise. It's a nature of the beast.

09 Apr 2011 09:22 #4 by kresspin
(written hours before the compromise was reached)

What does it say about the state of American political discourse that the government may shut down entirely and the two sides can't even agree on the sticking point? If the shutdown happens on Friday at midnight, Republicans will go to bed tonight believing that this impasse is over spending cuts: As House Speaker John Boehner said, "There's only one reason that we do not have an agreement as yet, and that issue is spending." Democrats, for their part, will go to sleep believing that the shutdown occurred because of abortion. As Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid put it: "It's not realistic to shut down the government on a debate dealing with abortion. It's not fair to the American people. We haven't solved the issue in 40 years. We're not going to solve it in the next 38 hours."

As the midnight hour nears, the fabrications continue to trip off the tongues of GOP leadership: Sen. John Kyl, R-Ariz., repeated on Friday the GOP fiction that abortions are "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does." (He later issued one of the all-time great clarifications, saying his remark was "not intended to be a factual statement." ) Here is Ezra Klein on the actual breakout of Planned Parenthood numbers: "Abortion services account for about 3 percent of Planned Parenthood's activities. That's less than cancer screening and prevention (16 percent), STD testing for both men and women (35 percent), and contraception (also 35 percent). About 80 percent of Planned Parenthood's users are over age 20, and 75 percent have incomes below 150 percent of the poverty line. Planned Parenthood itself estimates it prevents more than 620,000 unintended pregnancies each year, and 220,000 abortions."

It's barely worth repeating the other forgotten fact here: Not one penny of taxpayer money goes to funding abortions at Planned Parenthood. That's illegal already.

For many American women, these are not health services that are readily available elsewhere. This is basic preventive care for the poorest and most vulnerable women in America.

http://www.slate.com/id/2290856/

09 Apr 2011 09:28 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Surrender By Any Other Name---
Let me ask you this kresspin, how many years/decades/centuries do you think it would take us to pay off our debt with piddly little cuts like the ones they just did? Our leaders on both sides are joke and very few (especially the career politicians) see our growing debt as a national emergency. Are you one of those who think we can keep kicking this debt can down the road to our kids?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Apr 2011 09:36 #6 by LadyJazzer
Which goes to prove that this silly "brinkmanship" ploy was not about "cutting the budge"--It was about trying legislate the social issues of the radical-Right in a budget negotiation...

Nice try...

09 Apr 2011 09:39 #7 by Nmysys
As usual LJ doesn't answer the question!! Nice try.

09 Apr 2011 09:40 #8 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Surrender By Any Other Name---
So what is the plan from your Democratic heros to cut the budget LJ? Do they have one or does it just not matter? And as I stated, niether side seems to think our debt is a big emergency...what do you think?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Apr 2011 09:52 #9 by Cowboy
Just more P.C.B.S..... I think as there is no more personal responsibility in this country, is the reason why we need planned parenthood. Personaly it could be solved if we held these people responsible, but we do not. Heck give these gals an asprin to hold between their knees and castrate these guys who cant keep it in their pants. There problem solved talk about cost cutting rofllol
As far as NPR you have to be kidding me, that makes as much sence a s paying a farmer not to raise crops.

09 Apr 2011 10:13 #10 by major bean
Compromise ALWAYS advances the liberal agenda. ALWAYS. "To the left of center" is always left of center no matter how small the increment.

By the way kresspin is not a female. kresspin is male.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds