Obama speech on budget fix

29 Apr 2011 19:10 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Obama speech on budget fix

TPP wrote: What edge, once again, archer, I have proven leftist have no HUMOR at all.
Remember Good humor always comes from reality.

I guess I'm the only one who has a problem with a grown man getting his jollies by making fun of a little girl, especially when she is the daughter of the President of the United States. You can't get much lower than that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2011 21:39 #12 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Obama speech on budget fix

archer wrote:

TPP wrote: What edge, once again, archer, I have proven leftist have no HUMOR at all.

I guess I'm the only one who has a problem with a grown man getting his jollies by making fun of a little girl, especially when she is the daughter of the President of the United States. You can't get much lower than that.

Ok, you have taken personal offense. What about the budget proposal. What do you see in it as strengths and weaknesses? And to the rest of you, be specific about what you think consider the use of magic, etc. Let substance be the debate.

29 Apr 2011 21:52 #13 by Blazer Bob

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

archer wrote:

Ok, you have taken personal offense. What about the budget proposal. What do you see in it as strengths and weaknesses? And to the rest of you, be specific about what you think consider the use of magic, etc. Let substance be the debate.

Personal offense is a common deflection technique. I think you put it pretty well in another thread. We are in to deep not to have across the board cuts. Gore everyone's ox. I do not like it, I own an ox but the longer we wait the worse it will be.

That said, if the state can not handle it, I think disaster relief is a legitimate fed expense. They just need to do it smart. I do not know if that should include a military response unless in extremis like Katrina. No other agency had the resources available that the CG and Navy did.

29 Apr 2011 22:19 #14 by archer
Rockdoc, When a thread starts out like this,

HEARTLESS wrote: It starts out Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo and then something about majic. I just knew pfm (pure f'in majic) was gonna come in here somewhere.

And then goes downhill from there....really what does Sasha have to do with this issue?.....I see little point in trying to interject an idea or opinion. It's not difficult to see that were I, or most anyone, to try and actually discuss the issue it would meet with ridicule and insult. Not worth my time, nor my effort. But I couldn't let the obvious attempt to once again put down the presidents family pass without comment.
Perhaps another thread could be started on this subject after the sour taste of this one has faded.

29 Apr 2011 22:26 #15 by Residenttroll returns
Obama's idea of a budget fix...is fund raising $ 1 billion for his campaign budget. That's a fix.

29 Apr 2011 23:09 #16 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Obama speech on budget fix

archer wrote: Rockdoc, When a thread starts out like this,

HEARTLESS wrote: It starts out Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo and then something about majic. I just knew pfm (pure f'in majic) was gonna come in here somewhere.

And then goes downhill from there....really what does Sasha have to do with this issue?.....I see little point in trying to interject an idea or opinion. It's not difficult to see that were I, or most anyone, to try and actually discuss the issue it would meet with ridicule and insult. Not worth my time, nor my effort. But I couldn't let the obvious attempt to once again put down the presidents family pass without comment.
Perhaps another thread could be started on this subject after the sour taste of this one has faded.

I empathize with you. I see it consistently go that way. It is a matter of respect and many have little of it. Given the prevailing attitude where handy labels serve to cover all ills, another thread is likely to meet with the same results, I'm sorry to say. Episodically I check on these threads with the hope of hearing divergent perceptions and meaningful discussions, only the latter rarely makes it. It is unfortunate for all of us. I suppose, there is always the pm route with people who are truly interested in intelligent discussions. I do not have to agree with you (often do not see it the way you do) to have a respectful discussion. We can even resolve differences by agreeing we are on opposing sides on a particular issue.

29 Apr 2011 23:25 #17 by archer

Rockdoc Franz wrote: I empathize with you. I see it consistently go that way. It is a matter of respect and many have little of it. Given the prevailing attitude where handy labels serve to cover all ills, another thread is likely to meet with the same results, I'm sorry to say. Episodically I check on these threads with the hope of hearing divergent perceptions and meaningful discussions, only the latter rarely makes it. It is unfortunate for all of us. I suppose, there is always the pm route with people who are truly interested in intelligent discussions. I do not have to agree with you (often do not see it the way you do) to have a respectful discussion. We can even resolve differences by agreeing we are on opposing sides on a particular issue.

Agreeing to disagree, and exploring each others opinions, only seems to work in personal discussions, face to face, and occasionally on a message board if the discussion remains between two people or, on rare occasions, a few people. I have some lively discussions with many conservative friends and on one or two message boards that are private boards.....but on public boards political discussions always seem to end up as mud slinging contests. I'll be the first to admit I sling my share, it seems to be what is expected from all participants and if you don't you get beaten up mercilessly. I'll take a gander in my next post on answering your previous question.

29 Apr 2011 23:41 #18 by archer
Budget fix....here's my take on it. We are hearing a lot about balancing the budget with differing scenarios coming from the two major parties. I don't think either side is really on the right track, nor do I think they are all that serious about their proposals. Admittedly the Federal Gov't is a much larger entity than a family, but some of the same principles hold for both........when you find yourself deep in debt you need to take more than one single approach to dig out of the hole, and it will require some sacrifice.

Cutting spending is a good start, but on this I agree more with Obama than with the Republicans, a surgical approach is better than using a hatchet. A family would need to prioritize their expenditures and start working from the bottom up, cutting those things that will cause the least disruption in the family first. The gov't should do the same, yet the tendency is to go for the big cut to one or two big programs before ever dealing with the multitude of lesser programs that may not be as integral to the American way of life. If the first pass on cutting spending isn't enough, then it's time to bring in a second approach, look at increasing revenue. Many a wage earner has had to take on a second job to make ends meet, sure they could have cut their health insurance or sold their house, but if having those is important to the families well being then maybe a second job is the answer to cover those. Same with gov't, if cutting spending isn't enough then they have to look at bringing in more revenue, at least until the budget is in better balance.

The US has done this in the past....raised taxes when necessary, then lowered them in future years when there is a surplus. What I found to be a problem is taking a surplus in the budget then giving it away because it isn't needed right away. That was my problem with the Bush tax cuts.....we forgot the lesson of saving for a rainy day and spent our savings, or more accurately the government gave it's income back because the money wasn't needed immediately.....can you imaging a family doing that? No....that surplus should go into a savings account for the future.

Why do I think neither party is truly serious about the budget? Because they backpeddle when the proposed cuts effect one of their pet projects....an example today was John Boehner....when the defense dept said they needed to close down a tank manufacturing plant in Ohio because the military doesn't need any more tanks for at least 3 years, Boehner complained and said they can't do that....Ohio is his state and they need those 500 jobs. So it's OK to build and pay for tanks we don't need to keep 500 jobs in Ohio. Same with the Democrats....cutting is good, unless it's their pet project. At this rate I really don't see a balanced budget in our future.....the congress won't cut enough, and they won't raise taxes either. Stalemate.

30 Apr 2011 06:01 #19 by HEARTLESS
archer, its called humor, and sorely lacking in many of our posters here.
Soon Obama will try to take credit for job creation that is actually a result of tornados, flooding, fires and other natural disasters.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

30 Apr 2011 07:03 #20 by Residenttroll returns

HEARTLESS wrote: archer, its called humor, and sorely lacking in many of our posters here.
Soon Obama will try to take credit for job creation that is actually a result of tornados, flooding, fires and other natural disasters.

...now that's funny heartless....Obama taking claim for job creation due to disasters....that's the only way he can create jobs...is via a disaster.

Now back to a budget fix.... the only budget Obama has his eyes on ....the campaign budget of $ 1 billion....

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds