Social security rat hole

20 Dec 2012 08:43 #11 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Social security rat hole

plaidvillain wrote: Hey On That Note, do you really think worker's comp is for the lazy and stupid? Do you know what the "i" in "ssi" stands for? There's no i's in welfare....or taxes...oh, it's insurance . Insurance people paid into all their lives. But you don't have any respect for that...till a military man points that out to you. Then you'll allow his folks to take because their son served. My dad served...does this allow me to take too? Feeling a bit grandiose in your new found authority of determining who's worthy of mooching off the system? You are "reasonably glad to give it"?...Really?

I bet you're a "self made man", eh? Did it ALL by yourself...except for the military that protected your freedom...except for the govt that maintained a capitalist economy for you to participate in...except for the society that built the infrastructure around you that allows you to spout off online. It's okay...I'm reasonably glad to give these things to you.

SS and SSI has nothing to do with the military, other than we pay into it like everyone else. We get the letters all the time like everone else telling us how much we paid into it and where we stand with it etc. No different than anyone else. They were talking back while I was still on active duty about doing away with it for the military and instead doing something similiar to a 401k but that never happened. I would have to look this up, but I do remember hearing something about officer above a certain rank that retired and draw retired pay are not entitled to draq SS, but it has been awhile so I would have to research it and find out if that is true or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2012 08:44 #12 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Social security rat hole
I agree... I think the writer is in the business of financial-advising, and from what I've seen, there's no difference in benefits paid in these so-called "holes", other than the increasing monthly amounts for every month you wait after your full-benefit age...(Usually 66-1/2 for most folks in the "Boom" and "Pre-Boom" generation...)

Here's a calculator:

http://secure.ssa.gov/acu/ACU_KBA/main. ... e=en&LVL=4

Plug in your own "What if?" values and see what it says...

20 Dec 2012 09:29 #13 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Social security rat hole
Here you go Bob, another link. Apparently the age and percents are not constant each year.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retirement/1943.html

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/2 ... /121219928

Between age 62 and 63, monthly benefits increase by 0.42% of PIA per month. Between ages 63 and 66, monthly benefits increase by 0.56% of PIA per month. And between ages 66 and 70, monthly benefits increase by 0.67% of PIA per month.

“This uneven playing field creates opportunities to optimize benefits,” Mr. Meyer said. “However, it also creates what I call rat holes--a time someone should never, ever claim benefits.”

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

20 Dec 2012 10:24 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Social security rat hole
It does help to have a financial advisor or good accountant help sort through your retirement needs....especially if you plan to retire before your full retirement age. If you plan to retire early on investment income then you need to evaluate how taking SS at age 62 will effect how much you will need to withdraw from investments and what you think that money would earn vs waiting till full retirement age or later to retire and fund those years entirely on investment income.

20 Dec 2012 11:00 #15 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Social security rat hole

LOL wrote: Here you go Bob, another link. Apparently the age and percents are not constant each year.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retirement/1943.html

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/2 ... /121219928

Between age 62 and 63, monthly benefits increase by 0.42% of PIA per month. Between ages 63 and 66, monthly benefits increase by 0.56% of PIA per month. And between ages 66 and 70, monthly benefits increase by 0.67% of PIA per month.

“This uneven playing field creates opportunities to optimize benefits,” Mr. Meyer said. “However, it also creates what I call rat holes--a time someone should never, ever claim benefits.”

Thanks LOL. Now everything is as clear as mud instead of tar.

:idea: I have decided to take what I can get at 62 yrs and 0 months or shoot my self at 61 years and 11 months. I don't have to decide for a couple of years. I just hope I will still be able to remember what the string on my finger means.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds