Helen Thomas to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award

21 Sep 2010 18:35 #21 by major bean
I am not an Israel supporter. I believe that the nation of Israel should not have been carved out of the Palestinian land. It was another mistake made by Britain.

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2010 21:01 #22 by Travelingirl
I'm certainly no biblical scholar but I definitely find the Old Testament historically relevant for today. It explains the beginnings of the wars and conflicts that we see even today.

God loved Isaac & Ishmael and they were both promised "kingdoms" and God fulfulled his promises to both. Ishmael just didn't like what God gave him and he never got over it.

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation." Genesis 17:20.

Conflict between the two sons of Abraham began from the very start. Genesis 21:9 says the conflict began just after Isaac was weaned: "Now Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom she had borne to Abraham, mocking." Ishmael's descendants have always been jealous that Isaac's descendants were able to claim the full inheritance of Abraham.

Genesis 35:10-12 God said to him, "Your name is Jacob, but you will no longer be called Jacob; your name will be Israel." So he named him Israel. And God said to him, "I am God Almighty; be fruitful and increase in number. A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body. The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you."

Deuteronomy 34: 4 "This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob'I will give it to your offspring.'"

IMHO, it's not that God favored one son over the other. God made a Covenant with Abraham and had to follow through with his word.

Who needs silly sitcoms when history is so interesting and relevant for today?

21 Sep 2010 22:16 #23 by bailey bud
Gen 25:9
if Ishael didn't get along with Isaac ---- why did he help bury Abraham along with Isaac?

Where exactly do you read,

Ishmael just didn't like what God gave him and he never got over it.

Esau - maybe. I don't see any evidence that this is what happened with Ishmael.

Did you notice the promise in Gen 17 shows up twice? (also shows up in Gen 21). I seem to recall that a repeated promise is an important one.

Jimmy Carter tried this paradigm in his book Blood of Abraham and I think it's fair to say he failed.

Back to Helen ---- CAIR should have picked someone else. I feel a less adversarial person would have been a more appropriate choice. CAIR has chosen to pour gas on an already inflamed sitution.

22 Sep 2010 12:41 #24 by Travelingirl

bailey bud wrote: Gen 25:9

if Ishael didn't get along with Isaac ---- why did he help bury Abraham along with Isaac?

As a sign to all that there can be reconciliation. This includes the Jacob/Esau story and the story of Joseph and his brothers who sold him into slavery. I also believe Abraham may have kept a secret relationship with Ishmael behind Sarah's back because he loved him. So it would make sense Ishmael would be there to bury his father.

Where exactly do you read,

Ishmael just didn't like what God gave him and he never got over it.

Esau - maybe. I don't see any evidence that this is what happened with Ishmael.

From this text:
Genesis 16:11–12 (NIV)
11 The angel of the Lord also said to her:
“You are now with child
and you will have a son.
You shall name him Ishmael,
for the Lord has heard of your misery.
12 He will be a wild donkey of a man;
his hand will be against everyone
and everyone’s hand against him,
and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers.

Did you notice the promise in Gen 17 shows up twice? (also shows up in Gen 21). I seem to recall that a repeated promise is an important one.

And he kept his promise.

Jimmy Carter tried this paradigm in his book Blood of Abraham and I think it's fair to say he failed.

Never read JC's book -so I can't speak to that.

Back to Helen ---- CAIR should have picked someone else. I feel a less adversarial person would have been a more appropriate choice. CAIR has chosen to pour gas on an already inflamed sitution.

Agree.

22 Sep 2010 17:17 #25 by 2wlady
I think it's good to give an award to someone who isn't milktoast.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds