Too Dumb To Fight

10 Jan 2011 07:26 #11 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Too Dumb To Fight
Kids not having enough to eat to learn? Americans have never been as well fed as now. Somehow the kids of the Great Depression and the 70's and 80's still managed to learn, and did better.

Don't penalize the bad schools, give them more money? That makes sense, like Washington DC, which spends more money per student than anywhere else and gets very poor results. How about shut down the bad schools and move the kids to the good schools who now how to get it done? Too many half-full bad schools are allowed to stay open only because they union is more concerned about keeping poor teachers employed.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2011 08:41 #12 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Too Dumb To Fight
When did feeding kids become a part of education? In the 1870s - started back east, and became a school policy across the country. It was formalized by president Truman in 1946. This isn't new.

Tell me, SS, when is the last time you went without a meal all day, or for several days? Be blind all you want, but there are kids out there that still get their ONLY meals at school, and that's it. I've seen those kids, I've taught those kids, sadly some of those kids live RIGHT HERE and go to school with your own kids and you don't know it. Why? Same reason as in the 1930s - pride.

Wake the hell up, find out facts instead of spouting how well fed all kids are. Fact is, some aren't. fact is, some areas, even here in Colorado, a LOT in a school are not.

Show me the last kid you knew that dropped out of school to work to help support their family, as in brothers, sisters, parents, not kids of their own - can you do it? Are you even aware that that happened? I am - I can whip out the yearbooks and point those kids out to you, if you wanted to know. I can even point out the EVERGREEN kids who had to do that when I was in high school, not just city kids. And I'm talking just a couple years ago as well, when things were supposedly good in this country economically. The number is MUCH higher now, guaranteed.

Most people don't want to know, cause we're supposedly the land of plenty. Sure - if you have the right income, we are.

Move the kids to schools where it works? Bwahahahahahaha!! This is freaking hilarious.

You know why it doesn't work? Because the classroom is over thirty kids per teacher, so the teacher cannot spend time with the kids who need it. But yes, lets take a working school, jam a whole bunch more kids into it and make it JUST LIKE THE SCHOOL THEY JUST CAME OUT OF - yeah, that's a working solution. Wake up, actually go into a school, please. And I don't mean a Conifer or Platte Canyon school. I mean pull your butt off the mountain and go to a school down near West High in Denver, and school in Federal Heights, hell, most Thornton, Brighton,Commerce City schools, even some Arvada schools.

Yes, let's take those kids and bus them into Highlands Ranch and Cherry Creek and Erie. Let's see how well that flies. It won't, plain and simple. Rich people don't want their kids around poor kids, like it would rub off or is contagious or something.

When we moved to Colorado in 1978, Jefferson County was supposed to have the best schools in the state. When I moved my family back here in 2007, Jefferson County was still supposedly the best schools in the state. However, that is being disproven, and with all their proposed school closures in Jeffco for next year, it will soon be just like the poorer districts in the state. Up here, we won't see a rise in school population as schools get merged, but we will get hit harder with the financial cuts and you will see your child's classroom sizes increase, because teachers will get cut. So, what are you, personally, going to do about it?

Show me the half full schools in the urban areas- they don't exist like you think they do. Not even close. And most of those that do exist are private schools, recieving no state funding. Or are you suggesting that small town schools, like those in Fairplay, for example, should close, and bus the kids a couple hours per day to the next closest town? I had an hour bus ride as it was as a country kid; our kids up here bus 30-45 minutes to Conifer, and would bus further to attend Platte Canyon. You ready for your kids to ride the buses to Denver to 'save money" on schools?

10 Jan 2011 09:12 #13 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Too Dumb To Fight
Arvada High School, only 500 kids where there used to be 2000 in the 1980's. And since you worked at schools you have seen the waste of the "healthy" food getting thrown away and the awful parents who would rather buy drugs and booze instead of feeding their kids. Or if they feed them, it is a trip to McDonald's.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds