Members of the U.S. Congress Who Have Died

10 Jan 2011 09:33 #1 by ScienceChic
Thought I'd provide some bigger picture perspective...
http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/102 ... ms/675.pdf
Members of the U.S. Congress Who Have Died of Other Than Natural Causes While in Office
CRS Report for Congress
Updated March 13, 2002
Summary

This report provides an alphabetical list of the 60 Members of Congress who have died of other than natural causes while serving in the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate. Each entry includes party affiliation, the name of the state that the Member represented, dates of service, chamber in which the Member served, and cause of death. The report does not presume to be a complete list of Members who have died from other than natural causes while in office. CRS relied exclusively on available sources, and the report reflects only the extent to which they indicated the cause of a Member's death.

What happened to Rep Giffords needs to be a wake-up call to every single person that while free speech is a right we all enjoy, there are consequences for our words.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2011 09:58 - 10 Jan 2011 10:13 #2 by Residenttroll returns
SC,

You should have have shared this document. The libtards will be wanting to exterminate the airline and auto industry. Gotta love those political duels. Wow, so many suicides....gotta wonder who they pissed off....in a Vince Foster sort of way.

Burr vs. Hamilton was a classic political duel.

It looks like the only assassinated member of Congress was a Republican, James Hinds in 1868. He was killed by a member the KKK in Arkansas.

Oops, correction. I forget RFK was a sitting senator when he was killed by Sirhan Sirhan.

10 Jan 2011 10:11 #3 by Residenttroll returns
We also seem to forget that Republican President Garfield was assassinated by a Chicago lawyer Charles J. Guiteau.

10 Jan 2011 10:12 #4 by Scruffy
I saw at least four assassinations in that document.

10 Jan 2011 10:14 #5 by Scruffy
HINDS, James R AR 06/22/1868-10/22/1868 House Assassinated near Indian Bays, AR on 10/22/1868.

KENNEDY, Robert F. D NY 03/03/1965-06/06/1968 Senate Assassinated in Los Angeles, CA on 06/06/1968.

LONG, Huey Pierce D LA 01/25/1932-09/10/1935 Senate Assassinated in the State Capitol Building, Baton Rouge, LA on 09/08/1935; died on 09/10/1935.

PINCKNEY, John McPherson D TX 11/17/1903-04/24/1905 House Assaulted and killed at Hempstead, TX on 04/24/1905.

10 Jan 2011 10:16 #6 by Residenttroll returns

Scruffy wrote: I saw at least four assassinations in that document.

You are correct. My PDF program was acting up ....

* Sen. David Colbreth Broderick (D-Calif.) was killed on Sept. 16, 1859, in a duel.
* Sen. Edward Dickinson Baker (R-Ore.) was killed on Oct. 21, 1861, in a Civil war battle.
* Rep. Johnathan Cilley (D-Maine) was killed on Feb. 24, 1838, in a duel.
* Rep. Cornelius Springer Hamilton (R-Ohio) was killed on Dec. 22, 1867, by an insane son.
* Rep. James Hinds (R-Ark.) was assassinated on Oct. 22, 1868.
* Sen. Robert F. Kennedy (D-N.Y.) was assassinated on June 6, 1968.
* Sen. Huey Long (D-La.) was assassinated and died on Sept. 10, 1935.
* Rep. Spencer Darwin Pettis (D-Mo.) was killed on Aug. 28, 1931, in a duel.
* Rep. John McPherson Pinckney (D-Texas) was assaulted and killed on April 24, 1905.
* Rep. Leo J. Ryan (D-Calif.) died from gunshot wounds received while visiting an American religious commune in Guyana on Nov. 18, 1978.

10 Jan 2011 10:22 #7 by Travelingirl

What happened to Rep Giffords needs to be a wake-up call to every single person that while free speech is a right we all enjoy, there are consequences for our words.

The guy is mentally ill, involved in the occult. I don't get the connection.

10 Jan 2011 10:37 #8 by ScienceChic
TG, the connection is that most (and I emphasize most) mentally unstable people are not prone to violence. That this person who shot Rep Giffords was may be (and here I emphasize the may, because it's way too early to truly know his motives/beliefs) an indication that our increased inflammatory/violent rhetoric and extreme polarization of political divisiveness spurred him to act out when he would not have otherwise (and again, I emphasize that it was way too early to definitively assign that judgment, even though it's being bandied about in the media and by politicians as a fact already - they're too quick to rush to judgment without all the facts for the sake of their own agendas).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jan 2011 10:38 #9 by Residenttroll returns

travelingirl wrote:

The guy is mentally ill, involved in the occult. I don't get the connection.

Ssssshhhhhhhh, don't say a word. The left will tell you want to say, when to say it, and how to say it. Ssssssshhhhh!

10 Jan 2011 10:42 #10 by ScienceChic
:Whatever:

Like I've ever told anyone what to say, how to say it, or when (well, okay I correct my hubby all the time) rofllol H#ll, I prefer it if people argue their viewpoints with me! :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds