Bush Fears Arrest in Switzerland for torture

06 Feb 2011 23:14 #1 by LadyJazzer

Groups: Bush Fears Arrest in Switzerland

Former President George W. Bush has canceled a Feb. 12 speaking event in Switzerland due to the risk of legal action against him for alleged torture, rights groups claimed Saturday. Pressure has been building on the Swiss government to arrest him and open a criminal investigation if he enters the country. Criminal complaints against Bush have been lodged in Geneva. "He's avoiding the handcuffs," said Reed Brody, counsel for Human Rights Watch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/ ... CU20110205

Darn... I guess there are just certain parts of the world that he and Cheney will just never be able to visit any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Feb 2011 08:36 #2 by conifermtman
He did enjoy the superbowl last night and looked quite happy.

07 Feb 2011 09:23 #3 by Rick
LOL!! Switzerland wants to arrest Bush...that's pretty funny. The Swiss don't have any problem harboring a piece of crap child molester though. I wonder if they would put up Bin Laden in a nice hotel if he was to visit?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

07 Feb 2011 09:32 #4 by Grady
From the article quoted above, the real reason:

Leftist groups had also called for a protest on the day of his visit next Saturday, leading Keren Hayesod's organizers to announce that they were cancelling Bush's participation on security grounds -- not because of the criminal complaints.

07 Feb 2011 09:38 #5 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Bush Fears Arrest in Switzerland for torture
Well he did murder over a million people in Iraq for no apparent reason. I mean anyway you look at it, it's murder. Look at it through Red White n Blue Colored glasses and it's still murder..

07 Feb 2011 14:28 #6 by archer
From what I have been hearing today, the security concerns are the cover story to justify his not going, the real story was, and still is, that some groups are calling for Bush to be arrested for his crimes, and there is a possibility that it would happen. He would claim diplomatic immunity, and probably be released, but the pictures of a former American president being arrested or detained is too big a risk to take.

07 Feb 2011 15:12 #7 by Nmysys
And we are calling for the arrest of Obama!!! He has violated the Constitution many times and his day is coming.

07 Feb 2011 15:14 #8 by dummy up

Nmysys wrote: And we are calling for the arrest of Obama!!! He has violated the Constitution many times and his day is coming.

Dream on, Bush was the violator of the Constitution. Selective memory or do you need to take your meds?

07 Feb 2011 15:45 #9 by navycpo7

Vice Lord wrote: Well he did murder over a million people in Iraq for no apparent reason. I mean anyway you look at it, it's murder. Look at it through Red White n Blue Colored glasses and it's still murder..

VL, Bush did not murder all those people, the war did kill alot of people, but if you look at numbers and who killed who, I believe you will find that the terrorists over there have killed more than the Multi National Forces have. Unfortunately death is part of war. Not saying it is right, but when your own people are killing more than the foreign military there is a serious problem.

07 Feb 2011 15:47 #10 by navycpo7

archer wrote: From what I have been hearing today, the security concerns are the cover story to justify his not going, the real story was, and still is, that some groups are calling for Bush to be arrested for his crimes, and there is a possibility that it would happen. He would claim diplomatic immunity, and probably be released, but the pictures of a former American president being arrested or detained is too big a risk to take.

Yes that was stated, but the group where is was to speak cancelled the speaking engagement, more out of security concerns than anything. The threats of protest and unrest was overwhelming.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds