Obama Tells GOP: Nice Try on Health Care Records

14 Mar 2011 11:29 #11 by Blazer Bob
Some day, George Bush will no longer be POTUS and the new guy can change the policy if he wants to.....or he can declare Afghanistan to be a war of necessity, renew the Patriot Act, and extend the tax cuts. Anything can happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2011 11:55 #12 by PrintSmith

archer wrote:

SS109 wrote: So LJ wants to hold the Republicans to higher standards when it comes to morality issues because they claim they are the party of purity but let the Dems skate when they break their campaign promises on closing Gitmo, ending Afghanistan, posting new bills at least 3 days before votes, disclosing what was said in health care meetings, etc.

Remind me again where they promised to disclose what was said in healthcare meetings.

How about we let the man himself remind you........
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=31098

Does that help refresh your memory?

14 Mar 2011 13:44 #13 by Rick
Oh thats just a made up edited tape from some extreme righty PS...pay no attension archer, go back to sleep.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2011 14:00 #14 by LadyJazzer
Bush Tells DEMS: Nice Try on Energy Task Force Records

Bush Tells DEMS: Nice Try on Proof of WMD's

Bush Tells DEMS: Nice Try on getting Karl Rove before a Congressional Committee to testify about leaking information on a covert CIA operative

Dang...

14 Mar 2011 14:27 #15 by PrintSmith
I get it LJ - I really do. You're pointing out, in your own charming way, that you view the opposition to the practice expressed here an opposition to this president, not the practice itself, and that you want to keep the focus on their hypocrisy. Got it.

Now then, my friend, let's talk about the practice itself rather than which executive happens to be availing themselves of the practice at the moment. I will concede the point that it was just as wrong for the prior administration as it is for the current one. And, unless we find a way to have the practice discontinued, it will be just as wrong every time it is done in the future as it is for the current administration and was for the previous administration. And so, the question becomes, how do we put an end to the practice once and for all so that regardless of whether our side is the "In" side or the "Out" side, the practice ends and neither side has the opportunity to be hypocritical of the other when it is practiced in the future? How do we go about instituting change that both of us can believe in so that this administration is the last one to practice this abysmal policy since it sees fit to conduct itself in the same manner as the last one did despite their exhortations that they wouldn't? Since we now know we can't believe they will change voluntarily one given the opportunity to do so, how do we get it changed?

14 Mar 2011 15:13 #16 by BearMtnHIB

And so, the question becomes, how do we put an end to the practice once and for all so that regardless of whether our side is the "In" side or the "Out" side, the practice ends and neither side has the opportunity to be hypocritical of the other when it is practiced in the future?

Of course we know the answer to your question PS. Of course we would want to change the policy now and right the wrong. Some people are just interested in the tit for tat though - not actually coming up with a solution.

It's the same reason why we need to slash government now - because it needs to be done. By doing this - both the left and the right come out ahead, government cut down to it's correct size leaves no money for constitutionally questionable social programs - which is objectional to the right, and it leaves no room for spending on programs that the left objects to.

IF...... and only if we can get everyone to agree that government should not be doing any of those things. Problem is that the left wants big government for their interests - and the right wants big government for thir interest.

Can we all just agree that we can't afford any of it?

Because we can't.

14 Mar 2011 15:42 #17 by archer

PrintSmith wrote:

archer wrote:

SS109 wrote: So LJ wants to hold the Republicans to higher standards when it comes to morality issues because they claim they are the party of purity but let the Dems skate when they break their campaign promises on closing Gitmo, ending Afghanistan, posting new bills at least 3 days before votes, disclosing what was said in health care meetings, etc.

Remind me again where they promised to disclose what was said in healthcare meetings.

How about we let the man himself remind you........
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=31098

Does that help refresh your memory?

Yes it does, it is as I remember it, he promised that the negotiations would be public.....that to me meant those meetings with senate and house Republicans would be open meetings.....nothing in his words indicated that meetings with drug companies, and outside interest groups would also be open meetings.....but that is just my interpretation.....at least you confirmed that what I recall was true and accurate.

14 Mar 2011 17:24 #18 by PrintSmith
I think you need to listen again archer. About 40 seconds or so into the piece, Obama says, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he has a lot of respect for what Clinton did in '93 but that they made a mistake in taking all of their people and all of their experts into a room and then closed the door. About a minute thirty into it, he said that the insurance and drug companies would have a seat, but unable to buy every chair and that there would be a public process for forming the plan. Now, what was introduced into the legislative process was the plan that had been formed, with drug and insurance companies sitting at the table that was located behind closed doors and not open to the public. Those closed door meetings, with drug and insurance companies sitting at the table, was where the plan was formed prior to its introduction into the arena of congressional debate, and what is being sought is to make public, as promised during the campaign, the process that led to the plan.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds