Dang - I was hoping he wouldn't go there.....

14 Mar 2011 10:08 #1 by bailey bud
The President has written an op-ed advocating new gun control measures:

http://azstarnet.com/article_011e7118-8 ... dc89d.html

I was really hoping he wouldn't go there.

In my opinion - the shooting in Arizona was possible because a nut-case got his hands on a firearm.

(a mirror of the Virginia Tech massacre)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2011 10:17 #2 by Grady
What’s the phrase? Something about not wasting a good crisis or tragedy.

14 Mar 2011 10:27 #3 by Nmysys
I wish he would do something about the MAJOR ISSUES affecting this country before he worries about more restrictive Gun Laws and today he is focusing on Education Reform.

How about Jobs, Mr. President?
How about cutting spending, Mr. President?
How about cutting out the attempts at government being controlling every facet of our lives?
How about following that piece of paper called the Constitution, Mr. President?

14 Mar 2011 10:33 #4 by Rick
Other than your first question Nmysys (jobs), Obama knows the next three questions are not very important to much of his base voters..so no, not very important to him.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2011 10:42 #5 by Beeks
I don't see any attempt to be more restrictive in the editorial. Should the POTUS write such an editorial? Maybe not, a bit too "down in the weeds" for my taste, but too late. As for your questions, to suggest that we have to focus on any one issue is just stupid. The government, like it or not, has the resources to work on gun issues, spending, jobs, and the constitution all at the same time. Just because they're not addressing these issues in the way that you think they should doesn't mean they're not being addressed.

14 Mar 2011 10:52 #6 by bailey bud
My issue

• Second, we should in fact reward the states that provide the best data - and therefore do the most to protect our citizens.

I'd bet that Illinois has more data on gun owners than most states. At the same time, Illinois has a higher gun violence than most states.

There's some confusion in DC that data = protection. That's bunk.

The general tendency of the US Government is to collect more and more data --- invading more and more privacy -- in the name of protecting 99 percent of the population from the nutty 1 percent.

The more I study this issue - the closer I get to the idea that universal gun ownership is a fundamentally good idea.

14 Mar 2011 10:57 - 14 Mar 2011 13:04 #7 by FredHayek
Back in the 60's and 70's, it was much easier to get a mental case commited and once on the rolls, would get restricted from buying a gun, but the VA Tech, Tucson, & Fort Hood shooters all had apparant issues but everyone was afraid to turn them in. Would Obama prefer to go back to a system like that? While it would save lives, hundreds of thousands of people would lose their rights and be held for a time against their will without trial. Personally I don't want to go back to that.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Mar 2011 10:59 #8 by Beeks

The more I study this issue - the closer I get to the idea that universal gun ownership is a fundamentally good idea.

Meaning anyone can get a gun at anytime? Crooks and law-abiding citizens alike? I'm personally not willing to go that far.

Quote:
• Second, we should in fact reward the states that provide the best data - and therefore do the most to protect our citizens.

I think you're reading too much into it, but maybe not. I took it as rewarding the states that provide the best data in regard to the to criminal records of those seeking to purchase a firearm.

14 Mar 2011 11:05 #9 by Nmysys
The Government has OUR TAX DOLLARS as their resources. Since this POTUS has been in office for over two years now, he should have done something about the major issues!! That was Plural, for your information, not ONE ISSUE.

Since you are so fond of this government, can you give us poor ignorant people a little insight to any accomplishment? Like any of his programs that have actually worked or gotten us our money's worth?

There so far have been two accomplishments, He won the Nobel Peace Prize, WHY? What did he do?

He ;earned how to use his teleprompter!

Don't turn my questions around to what did any other President do. Please enlighten us!!!

14 Mar 2011 11:26 #10 by Martin Ent Inc
Criminals always follow the law.
And amazingly they always can get their hands on a gun.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds