Teachers

16 Mar 2011 16:13 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Teachers
Perhaps it depends on the college and the area of study......if anything my university was very conservative as were many of my profs......it was pretty evenly divided between liberals and conservative students, and definitly depended on the courses one took. This was during Viet Nam.....and ROTC was big on campus, that's where my brother learned to fly and ended up on 3 tours of duty in Viet Nam as a helicopter pilot. I don't know what the university is like now, but they still have ROTC on campus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2011 16:20 #12 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Teachers
It does matter which college you go to, especially if it's one like Columbia or Berkley. That being said, I still think there are less than 20% conservatives (and thats being generous). Probably pretty close to the ratio of liberal/conservative journalists.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Mar 2011 16:26 #13 by archer

CriticalBill wrote: It does matter which college you go to, especially if it's one like Columbia or Berkley. That being said, I still think there are less than 20% conservatives (and thats being generous). Probably pretty close to the ratio of liberal/conservative journalists.

Which brings back a question of mine, why don't more conservatives go into teaching at the college level? Do they not think it is a worthwhile career to be educating our next generation?

16 Mar 2011 16:40 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Teachers
Probably because there is an obvious liberal environment that a conservative would not want to be subjected to for the rest of their careers whether it be a teacher or a journalist. I for one would never want to be forced to join a union and pay dues to some union scumbags who use my money for their own political objectives. I don't know if this is true (just a guess) but I'll bet there are for more conservative teachers (percentage wise) in private schools than in public.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Mar 2011 16:47 #15 by archer
I was speaking more to colleges than public schools.....professors aren't unionized are they?

16 Mar 2011 16:59 #16 by Residenttroll returns
Replied by Residenttroll returns on topic Teachers

archer wrote: I was speaking more to colleges than public schools.....professors aren't unionized are they?

Conservatives are bullied by the liberal peer review boards - that's why you don't have many conservative professors. Plus most libtards are book smart and brain wash with limited practical experience or "experts" in worthless disciplines (i.e Women Studies or Gay Lesbian Literature) ....it's like a fraternity of stupid educators .... Phi Dumba Lotta...and we want more neophytes so we can "educate" according to our liberal pledge books.

This movie pretty much explains your question. Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed by Ben Stein.
[youtube:25a8je2i]
[/youtube:25a8je2i]

16 Mar 2011 17:29 #17 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Teachers

archer wrote: If you all don't like this thread, blame trouble, I needed to boost my "threads started" count so I could keep my posting privileges.

Good Topic Archer! :like: ...looking forward to more of the same!

And we have something in common - Rockies fans!!

16 Mar 2011 18:55 #18 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Teachers

residenttroll wrote: Conservatives are bullied by the liberal peer review boards - that's why you don't have many conservative professors.

rofllol Really? They're that weak-willed and minded? You give conservative professors absolutely no credit; I personally think they are stronger and more outspoken than that.

Plus most libtards are book smart and brain wash with limited practical experience or "experts" in worthless disciplines (i.e Women Studies or Gay Lesbian Literature) ....it's like a fraternity of stupid educators .... Phi Dumba Lotta...and we want more neophytes so we can "educate" according to our liberal pledge books.

That's quite the generalization there. Book smart doesn't automatically mean that one lacks common sense. And brain washing and critical thinking don't/can't really coexist (thinking of scientists here, of whom a majority are liberal, but not atheist, as your next paragraph tries to imply).

This movie pretty much explains your question. Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed by Ben Stein.

OMG, you seriously use this as a source? :lol: It was so fake, even a monkey could figure it out. :thumbsup:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ou-to-know

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/movies/18expe.html

This goes further than a willful misunderstanding of the scientific method. The film suggests, for example, that Dr. Sternberg lost his job at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History because of intellectual discrimination but neglects to inform us that he was actually not an employee but rather an unpaid research associate who had completed his three-year term.

“Expelled” is rated PG (Parental guidance suggested). It has smoking guns and drunken logic.

http://www.expelledexposed.com/new_scientist.php

What have Nazis to do with a film about the "conflict" between evolution and intelligent design? Everything, apparently. The film-makers' logic is that by teaching evolution, the US public school system is telling children that there is no God, morality or free will. And this can lead to only one thing: Holocaust.

Expelled is pure propaganda, its style reminiscent of a sub-standard Michael Moore flick complete with voice-over narration and lots of aimless wandering around. Its selling point is that academic freedom in the US is threatened by a vast conspiracy of atheist scientists, hypnotised by what Stein labels in the film the "Darwinian gospel". Supporters of ID are fired from their institutions or denied tenure, the film argues, while journalists who report on ID are silenced or shunned. This is an old trick. By claiming their views are suppressed, proponents of ID hope to be protected from criticism. When someone argues that ID is bogus, all they need do is yell: "See? Suppression!"

Speaking for grade school public education, I'd say that the teachers ideological views will generally mirror the community - I grew up in a highly conservative area and probably had more Republican voting teachers than most of you seem to assume occurs in reality. Education is education, it shouldn't be turned into conservative versus liberal, but effective versus ineffective, factual versus indoctrinating. Of the groups trying hardest to institute indoctrination, I submit that it's the conservatives trying harder than liberals - making sure "God is kept in schools" (even though there's supposed to be separation of church and state), and the ridiculousness of pushing creationism and questioning of climate science (but not genetics or chemistry, curiously) in science classes.

I personally would love to see more conservative professors at the college level (and am not sure why there aren't greater numbers of them) - their viewpoint would only improve obtaining a comprehensive, well-informed education. But a big part of college education is to teach students how to think critically, and questioning of professors viewpoints occurs often (at least, I saw that, across a broad spectrum of subjects). As CriticalBill stated, he noticed a liberal slant, a restriction of taught viewpoints, and didn't blindly accept that - and I don't think he's a unique case. Maybe students aren't self-motivated to go search out opposite viewpoints while in school, but they aren't brainwashed idiots either.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Mar 2011 21:51 #19 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Teachers

Baileyboy wrote: Teacher's hands in the public system are tied. They a forced to teach a curriculum created by a higher power. They do not have the flexibility that a college prof. has to push their own agenda. That said I think a lot of them go in bright eyed with good intentions and naive and are broken down by the system much like new blood going to Washington.

Very well said, BB - and spot on. It's why the burn out rate is approximately 5 years.

To answer Archer, when I taught, it was in Iowa. The vast majority of teachers in Iowa are rather conservative people. However, most are realists as well, and know that regardless of whatever morals and lessons they try to instill, you're going to get a lot of kids going the opposite direction. And they know it has noting to do with how they are doing their job, but more with how some parents are not doing their jobs, and social pressures from every angle.

All teachers I know, the ones who lasted, the ones trying to do their job, all promote the same thing - critical thinking skills, so that these kids will helpfully be able to know when someone is trying to blow smoke up their pantsleg.

As for college - I had a mix. My most consrvative profs were in English and in History. In fact, all my history profs were very conservative as well as highly practical. My sociology profs - that was interesting. One was highly conservative, another highly liberal, and yet another was just...odd. Since it was a small college and a small town, we got to see these profs debate each other regularly over lunch- and the occasional beer. Makes for interesting learning.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds