Ninkasi - The Goddess of Beer

18 Apr 2011 18:33 - 07 Apr 2017 11:51 #1 by ScienceChic
www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm...bad-why-i-2011-04-15
What makes old beer taste bad? Why, it's the trans-iso-alpha acids, of course
By John Matson | Apr 15, 2011

Beer, for the most part, is not like wine—it does not improve with age.

The breakdown of trans-iso-alpha acids is temperature-dependent, meaning that beer ages faster in warm storage conditions, but it also appears to depend on the initial acidity of the beer. The researchers collected samples of 10 different pilsner brands to compare how the beer's pH value affected the aging process. Even though the beers were all comparable in acidity, ranging from pH 4.3 to 4.55, the slight differences had a measurable impact on how much the hop-derived compounds degraded into unwanted bitter compounds. The more acidic beers accumulated more tricyclocohumol during storage.

The key to producing a fresh-tasting beer, then, is to control its pH during the brewing process and to store it in a cool place once it has been bottled.

The study (from Germans, of course!): pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf104392y

Maybe praying to Ninkasi will help too! :wink:

www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm...lusive-in-2011-03-28
The dawn of beer remains elusive in archaeological record
By John Matson | Mar 28, 2011 02:30 PM

Who brewed—and then enjoyed—the first beer? The civilization responsible for the widely beloved beverage must have been a very old one, but we don't yet know who first brewed up a batch of beer, Christine Hastorf explained in a March 10 lecture at New York University on the archaeology of beer.

One place they certainly were making beer is Mesopotamia, where cuneiform tablets record the trade of beer around 4000 BC. The Sumerians were so enthralled with beer that around 1800 BC, someone inscribed an ode to Ninkasi, the goddess of beer, on a tablet that survives today. The Hymn to Ninkasi features verses such as "Ninkasi, you are the one who pours out the filtered beer of the collector vat / It is [like] the onrush of Tigris and Euphrates," according to Ian S. Hornsey's 2003 A History of Beer and Brewing. pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/eBook/978-0-85404-630-0

A 2004 study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences pushes the history of fermented beverages back even further. www.pnas.org/content/101/51/17593

Dogfish Head brewery took a stab at reproducing the stuff, resulting in the award-winning—and potent—Chateau Jiahu. www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm...-the-shel-2009-06-05

The various lines of evidence indicate that beer may well be as old as cooking itself, which began at least 250,000 years ago.

File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Apr 2011 14:17 #2 by EddieWess

Science Chic wrote: www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm...bad-why-i-2011-04-15
What makes old beer taste bad? Why, it's the trans-iso-alpha acids, of course
By John Matson | Apr 15, 2011

Beer, for the most part, is not like wine—it does not improve with age.

I never did understand how beer can get old. Do you have to forget where you put it, or forget to drink it? Just how does one not drink one's beer thereby allowing it to get old? Its a mystery to me. Unless someone brought a sixer of Bud or Coors and left it at my house, that beer would definitely get old.

27 Jun 2011 21:28 - 07 Apr 2017 11:51 #3 by ScienceChic
I love reading about history that is re-analyzed via modern means!

topicfire.com/share/VTT-examined-the-fir...d-beer-17746342.html
VTT examined the first bottle of 170-year-old beer
Finnish research center VTT has examined one of five bottles of beer salvaged last summer by divers from the wreck of a ship that sank an estimated 170 years ago in the Aland Islands.
June 27, 2011

The examination yielded a wealth of detail about the beer, even indications of how it was brewed. The research will continue by examining another bottle.

VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland was commissioned by the Government of Aland to study the composition of the shipwreck beer and identify the type of yeast used to brew it. The aim of this project was to study what early 19th-century beer was like and whether its production process could be reverse-engineered and the beer replicated.

The study involved an analysis of the physico-chemical properties of the beer and microbiological and DNA analyses of the beer, bottle and cork. In particular, the aim was to isolate any living microbes found.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Jun 2011 21:44 #4 by otisptoadwater
I'm not sure about holding on to a 170 year old brew but save them cheap ones to cook your brats in!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 Jun 2011 15:28 #5 by EddieWess

Science Chic wrote: I love reading about history that is re-analyzed via modern means!

SC get a copy of the latest edition of Smithsonian Magazine there is a long article entitled The Beer Archeologist.

29 Jun 2011 16:43 #6 by ScienceChic
Thanks for the heads-up Eddie! Hubby happens to be going to DC this weekend for the Cubs game and fireworks in the capital (boys weekend away!), so I will tell him to pick up a copy while he's at the museum (I'm guessing they'd have it there?)!

08 Jul 2011 17:20 #7 by RivendaleFarms
Pretty sure superhubby now has a new diety..... Does she look like the St Pauli girl?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

08 Jul 2011 19:48 #8 by The 500 Foundation
God I hope so Sal

08 Jul 2011 19:54 #9 by RivendaleFarms
We'll invite you over after superhubby has the shrine in place. Everyone should have a place of worship.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

08 Jul 2011 21:03 #10 by unlimited
Hail Ninkasi !
I always wondered what her name was!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds