In honor of Fathers day coming up

12 Jun 2010 14:45 #1 by JMC
There is a book out by Justin Halpern called "Sh*t my dad says". It got me thinking about things my dad said ( he passed 15 years ago)
My 2 favorites were If I did a 3rd rate job on a chore he would say " that and nothing are friends"
When he was really pissed he would tell me " go lay down in the street-NOW!" We lived in an urban area with real busy streets.Miss him

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2010 14:49 #2 by Sunshine Girl

JMC wrote: There is a book out by Justin Halpern called "Sh*t my dad says". It got me thinking about things my dad said ( he passed 15 years ago)
My 2 favorites were If I did a 3rd rate job on a chore he would say " that and nothing are friends"
When he was really pissed he would tell me " go lay down in the street-NOW!" We lived in an urban area with real busy streets.Miss him

Sorry for your loss JMC (I keep calling you GMC to Doc and he laughs every time - sorry). I'm sure it's still hard even after 15 years. I lost both of my parents 10 years ago and it still feels hard for me. Thanks for sharing that. Our street is private so it wouldn't do me any good. lol

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

12 Jun 2010 15:01 #3 by Grady
The 7 Ps,

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

12 Jun 2010 16:30 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Being older, my dad was from the depression era. Some of his old-time sayings were:

"That's a bunch of hooey."

"It's messed up to a fareyouwell.' (not sure on the spelling)

Pert near (pretty near)

He always called quarters "two bits" and the refrigerator was always an "ice box" in our house.

12 Jun 2010 18:41 #5 by RivendaleFarms
Mine always says, "It's all a matter of incentive."

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

12 Jun 2010 19:20 #6 by Sunshine Girl
My mom would say, "You're incorrigible." Of course I'd smile. Then my dad would say, "Not encourageable (I don't think this is really a word though :wink: ), but incorrigible dear." Then I'd see them exchange a quick wink and smile at me. Love and miss them! :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

12 Jun 2010 20:09 #7 by pacamom
My Dad would swear at me in German. I never knew what he was saying until I was much older. Then he did swear at me anymore.

13 Jun 2010 16:16 #8 by ScienceChic
My dad doesn't have such good ones. My father-in-law, however, used to tell my hubby many encouraging things, such as "Well, if you can't be a good role model, at least you can always be used as a bad example" and "You were born twins, but the other one died laughing at you!" Unfortunately, he died in 1992 of melanoma and I never got the chance to meet him, but his sense of humor lives on in my husband.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Jun 2010 16:50 #9 by kentucky jan
My dad passed away just a year and a half ago. He wasn't around for most of my childhood or young adulthood, so the main saying I remember him using when I was little was, "Don't try using the crocodile tears." (Guess it worked, to this day, I never try using tears to get my way.)

We did become friends eventually, and spent quite a bit of time together in his last 10 years. One of his pet sayings as he got older was, "I plan on living forever, or I'll die trying!" He usually had "a dollar-two-ninety-eight" to spare, and if I told him I would do something when I got around to it, he often pulled a "round tuit" out of his pocket to hand to me.

RIP Dad.

13 Jun 2010 17:09 #10 by Blondie
When my Dad was in his final days, the home hospice lady asked him who his heroes were. He replied that he had 5 of them, his daughters. Dang I miss him. :Crying: :heart:

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds