The Royal Wedding? In or Out?

29 Apr 2011 15:05 #31 by chickaree

Grady wrote: I had an english muffin for breakfast :wink:
Which brings up the question, are English muffins as we know them actually British in origin?

:can't hear An old English nursery rhyme, "The Muffin Man", describes a door-to-door purveyor of muffins. The rhyme was known at the time of Jane Austen in the early 19th century, and a muffin man is mentioned at one point in her novel Persuasion. The muffins sold at this period were made of yeasted dough and baked on a hot griddle.
The etymology of the name is from moofin first used in 1703, derived from the Low German Muffen, the plural of Muffe meaning a small cake, or possibly with some connection to the Old French moufflet meaning soft as said of bread.[1]
Muffins may well originate as far back as the 10th century, yet the muffin became a fashionable bread during the 18th century. By the beginning of the 19th century, there were dozens of muffin factories in existence, and the "muffin man" was a common sight.
Muffins are a quick-baking bread and have become a tea-table staple. They are usually split, toasted, buttered and then eaten with a savoury or sweet topping such as honey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_(English )

More interesting than the wedding IMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2011 16:22 #32 by Surveyor
Oops, did I MISS it??

I want a do-over! :angry:

29 Apr 2011 16:34 #33 by Sunshine Girl

SS109 wrote: I woke up late and only caught the new couple presenting themselves to the public. The expression on Kate's face was awesome, like a combination, I am so excited to be here finally, but also a little shock at all the people waiting to see her.

And also love the old school flyover, an old WWII Wellington or Lancaster accompanied by Spitfires.

Perfectly said. The look of shock when she saw all the people was genuine. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

29 Apr 2011 16:38 #34 by Sunshine Girl

CinnamonGirl wrote: It was cool. Sorry, I did enjoy it.

My family is English though. We were decedents from the Mayflower and my family is part of the Sons of the American Revolution. Very into etiquette and history. I still to this day find myself in the habit of keeping with etiquette.

Watching the flyby and the flags and the carriage it was a Cinderella story. I did wonder if they were thinking about Diana.

So are we. Direct descendants from the Chilton's I believe. My mother registered my brother and sisters when we were born and then registered my first two when they were born. I was truly hoping they would do something direct today to pay omage (sp?) to Diana. Maybe even just a two second glance up to Heaven and a moment of silence for her. It was very nicely done today, but not as Cinderella like as Diana's.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

02 May 2011 16:44 #35 by Crazy Heart
I think it was better than Diana's.
I did wonder as well what they were thinking about their mother.

02 May 2011 17:13 #36 by CC
Replied by CC on topic The Royal Wedding? In or Out?
A hymn was sung at the beginning of the ceremony that was sung at Diana's funeral to recognize her.

02 May 2011 20:19 #37 by Sunshine Girl

Becky wrote: A hymn was sung at the beginning of the ceremony that was sung at Diana's funeral to recognize her.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds