Explore Colorado's History

11 May 2011 04:53 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Explore Colorado's History was created by CinnamonGirl
http://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/new ... -15787.php

Colorado became a state on August 1, 1876, but the history of the land extends back far before it entered the union.

Filled with the days when the Ancient Puebloans and Native Americans inhabited the land, as well as European Settlement and the Pikes Peak Gold Rush, the human history of Colorado goes back more than 13,000 years. Remnants of Colorado’s colorful past can still be found today through museums, historic sites and distinct landmarks.

In honor of National Preservation Month, below is a sampling of some of the many ways Colorado celebrates and preserves its unique history in May and beyond.

This is a nice little article from Luxury Travel Magazine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 May 2011 07:30 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Explore Colorado's History
I'm looking forward later this year to do more exploring in Colorado. Given the relatively short period of time since the gold rush and statehood days, It's still possible to reach back and get a feel for those days. I'm trying to identify why I have this inane desire to touch the past. Perhaps it is the pioneering spirit in me, the spirit to go and be there first... after the real Colorado natives. Perhaps it has something to do with the spirit of discovery, or curiosity? No matter what, I find it fascinating, to think about and wonder about the hardships our predecessors endured on a routine basis. it is a personal journey for me that I very much enjoy, Take for example an old mine. I see the shaft, think pick shovel sledge and explosives on the one hand, callused hands, long days of backbreaking work, short break for lunch while sitting outside on a mountain virtually untouched by human "progress", etc. THose times were physically hard, but with a slower pace to life.

11 May 2011 07:48 #3 by chickaree
If you look at the pictures of mining communities they looked like blasted moonscapes-no trees or grass anywhere. They imported orphans from back east to work in the mines, few survived. Mining history is pretty horrific, but fascinating.

11 May 2011 07:50 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
Lots of places out there that people don't even go to. Or know of. Just pick a spot to go and start your adventure RD.

I have a book written about the Buena Vista area that I read. Went there to the place in the book and found most of the places in it, and found not many people know about it or have been there.

11 May 2011 07:53 #5 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Explore Colorado's History

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Lots of places out there that people don't even go to. Or know of. Just pick a spot to go and start your adventure RD.

I have a book written about the Buena Vista area that I read. Went there to the place in the book and found most of the places in it, and found not many people know about it or have been there.

That sounds like a fun place to go. I'll keep that in mind and may ask you to guide me to your book and beyond.

11 May 2011 07:58 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Book is called Going Home a novel George C. Roche III.

Also have a freind in Central City and we pan for gold on some of his property, and explore that area, almost everthing up there is private, but what a history if you can meet a few locals (colorful to say the least) and get to see some of the past.

11 May 2011 09:21 #7 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Explore Colorado's History
One of the reasons I [url=http://www.geocaching.com:2knlcyqw]Geocache[/url] is that many caches are placed in areas with historical significance. The cache nearby in the picture below is part of the "Spirit Quest Series" of caches

11 May 2011 09:30 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Explore Colorado's History
I grew up here. I am not a huge traveler but when the kids were young we camped all over Colorado. My favorite places in Colorado that we visited was Glennwood. (Awesome river fishing and loved the pool.)

Durango was alot of fun doing the train.

I was always terrified of the royal gorge. ( I will tell you my bridge story someday).

Guanella pass camping was amazing. (our other favorite place we camped, went there every year near the meadow)

The sand dunes were great.

On another note, we went to the black hills and Mount Rushmore every year there for a while.

12 May 2011 00:07 #9 by Local_Historian
My favorite place is Redstone - I think you and the lady would like it a lot, Rockdoc.

Second favorite is Ouray.

A book called Colorado Historic Places may interest you. Otherwise, for old, very localized history books, go to Mountain Books - I have to stay out of there; I already own a great portion of what Jesse has put out.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds