Phrases Defined

17 May 2011 20:45 #1 by otisptoadwater
How about a thread of catchy phrases in use now and some from way back when? I'll start:

Clue-by-four (noun)

A large, heavy, blunt object used to forcibly inject clues into those who have proven otherwise clue-resistant.

Sometimes this is done by inducing unconsciousness, thereby raising the clue level in a subject who was formerly negatively clued.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 May 2011 21:19 #2 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Phrases Defined
Link Rot (noun)

The process by which links on a web page became as obsolete as the sites they're connected to change location or die.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 May 2011 21:29 #3 by otisptoadwater
Corporate-speak for sleeping with your eyes open. A popular pastime at conferences and early-morning meetings. "Didn't he notice that half the room was glazing by the second session?"

18 May 2011 21:31 #4 by otisptoadwater
Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web message "404, URL Not Found," meaning that the document you've tried to access can't be located. "Don't bother asking him...he's 404, man."

18 May 2011 21:33 #5 by otisptoadwater
Scanning the net, databases, print media, or research papers looking for the mention of your name.

18 May 2011 21:47 #6 by otisptoadwater
The place you go while you're staring at a computer that's processing something very slowly (while you watch the "progress" bar creep across the screen). "I was in progressbar land for what seemed like hours, thanks to that CAD rendering."

19 May 2011 20:55 #7 by otisptoadwater
The rarified organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file, think mahogany row. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.

19 May 2011 21:13 #8 by otisptoadwater
Losing one's train of thought. Occurs when the person you are speaking with won't let you get a word in edgewise or has just said something so astonishing that your train gets derailed. "Damn, I just blew my buffer!"

19 May 2011 21:29 #9 by otisptoadwater
The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed in the end.

20 May 2011 17:54 #10 by otisptoadwater
Confusion resulting from the mind overriding the body's natural desire to choke the living hell out of some jerk who desperately needs it.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds