Memorial Day 2011

18 May 2011 23:10 #1 by otisptoadwater
For me Memorial is always a day of remembrance, I'll be spending a large portion of Memorial day at Fort Logan honoring family members, friends, and those who served before and with me defending our nation and our freedom.

Whether or not you served or are currently in service please make a point to set aside a few moments of reflection, silence, and gratitude for those who are serving and those who served in defense of our great nation. :flag:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 May 2011 14:15 #2 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Memorial Day 2011
Bump

19 May 2011 14:42 #3 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Memorial Day 2011
Always Do, 2 flags fly, at my house, one for those that gave their all for this country, the other for those that are doing it NOW!

19 May 2011 15:17 #4 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Memorial Day 2011
Try to get to one of the ceremonies this Memorial Day. There is a Marine Corps one down in Golden, where 6th and 40 meet, a little triangle thing.

We've been to the one in Idaho Springs, too.

If I were back east, I would visit Arlington Cemetery, where my dad is buried. I always leave a pepple on his gravestone. I love that idea.

And I remember:

my brother who received a bronze star and purple heart during the Vietnam War
my cousin, who was killed flying a helicopter in Vietnam
All my uncles who were in WWII
The ones who also served in Korea and Vietnam
The next generation of grandson, nephews, nieces and friends' children who have served in Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan

There are just so many when you start listing them, aren't there? Thank heavens we have so many brave men and women in our country who are wiling to keep the rest of us free.
I

19 May 2011 15:55 #5 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Memorial Day 2011
There are just so many when you start listing them, aren't there? Thank heavens we have so many brave men and women in our country who are wiling to keep the rest of us free.

And too many shirkers that get a free ride and then bitch about taxes and a lack of "happiness".

20 May 2011 06:05 #6 by TPP

2wlady wrote: Try to get to one of the ceremonies this Memorial Day. There is a Marine Corps one down in Golden, where 6th and 40 meet, a little triangle thing.

We've been to the one in Idaho Springs, too.

If I were back east, I would visit Arlington Cemetery, where my dad is buried. I always leave a pepple on his gravestone. I love that idea.

And I remember:

my brother who received a bronze star and purple heart during the Vietnam War
my cousin, who was killed flying a helicopter in Vietnam
All my uncles who were in WWII
The ones who also served in Korea and Vietnam
The next generation of grandson, nephews, nieces and friends' children who have served in Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan

I

Thank YOU & Them for they're service.
My FIL was a Commander of battleship, then kept working with Navy after retired.
Dad was a Navy Paific dude!
Uncle was a Marine, in the 'Nam, will not talk about it AT ALL!
Had a couple of pen pals in The 'Nam.
Granddad (died when I was about 9 or so) servied in Navy, but don't remember to much (note to self ask Mom)
THANKS Billy, (a friend, he knows who he is)
Nephew is now in National Guard, and has done his time in Afghanistan, but can be called up, but NOT to go out of the U.S.

I like this idea, I think we should all add our personal /U.S. heroes to this thread... Please feel free.

20 May 2011 07:12 #7 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Memorial Day 2011
It is amazing when you start listing veterans you know or know of. I didn't even include the rest of my cousins, cousins' children, friends.

I have a friend who served in Vietnam who has struggled with PTSD (is that right?) ever since, even now.
Another friend (Vietnam) is battling a blood cancer caused by Agent Orange.

We have so much to be thankful for.

Please add your "lists" to the thread so we can remember all of them.

20 May 2011 09:14 #8 by TPP
BUMP

21 May 2011 20:15 #9 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Memorial Day 2011

2wlady wrote: It is amazing when you start listing veterans you know or know of. I didn't even include the rest of my cousins, cousins' children, friends.

I have a friend who served in Vietnam who has struggled with PTSD (is that right?) ever since, even now.
Another friend (Vietnam) is battling a blood cancer caused by Agent Orange.

We have so much to be thankful for.

Please add your "lists" to the thread so we can remember all of them.

I hope this heroes are in the VA system getting benefits for all this. If not they need to be as both of these are covered by that. Let me know if I can ever help.

Uncle served in WWII, captured and became a POW
Uncle served in Korea
Dad served in Germany, occupation, Vietnam. 30yrs Retired SgtMaj
Brother served in Navy 4 years
Friend USMC Vietnam 4 Purple Hearts
Myself, 20 years Navy (Bosnia, Persian Gulf x 3)
Son US Army 2 tours Iraq, Deploys in Sept to Afganistan

Thanks to all those serving and those that have served. We are the largest family out there.

21 May 2011 21:32 #10 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Memorial Day 2011
navycpo7. Please touch our dear Tommy's headstone for me and tell him I love and miss him.
I will be thinking of him as well as all who have given their all for our freedom.
Hug Terry and Stan for me.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds