Why Everyone Should Work in Sales — at Least for a While

24 May 2011 06:31 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Sales skills are incredibly useful — in every field.

To many people the word “selling” implies manipulating, pressuring, cajoling… all the used car salesman stereotypes. If you think of selling as explaining the logic and benefits of a decision, then every job requires sales skills: Convincing coworkers your idea makes sense, showing your boss how a project will pay off, helping employees understand the benefits of a new process, etc. Communication is critical in any career; you’ll learn more about communication by working in sales than you will almost anywhere else.

http://www.bnet.com/blog/small-biz-advi ... while/1805

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 May 2011 06:54 #2 by TPP
Been offered to be a saleman, many times, and every time, my answer is the same, "Thanks, but No Thanks, I'm to Honest!"

24 May 2011 07:54 #3 by Rockdoc
This is one thing I have the most trouble with in my business. I do not like to sell myself, though I know my consulting depends on it. Yet, when pressed I'm not that bad with truthful justifications. I just can't do the hyperbole.

24 May 2011 09:03 #4 by ScienceChic
I totally suck at sales, I think the product/information speaks for itself and I usually have a hard time explaining what is so obvious to me. (Look how well I've convinced everyone that AGW is a serious issue that needs to be addressed!)

I'm thinking I need some cosmetic enhancements to help! lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 May 2011 10:28 #5 by Sunshine Girl
I'm great in sales as long as I believe in, and love, the product I'm trying to sell. If I don't, I suck and I don't even bother to try.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

24 May 2011 11:29 #6 by TPP
WE all sale ourselves, (in a way) everytime we log-on.

24 May 2011 15:00 #7 by CC

Sunshine Girl wrote: I'm great in sales as long as I believe in, and love, the product I'm trying to sell. If I don't, I suck and I don't even bother to try.

You have the magic formula right there.
I would normally have hated sales but someone gave me a chance to tell people the truth and sell the best product made at half the price.
Question CG. You had a sales person at your house recently to sell you some flooring.....Did it feel like a sales call?

24 May 2011 15:51 #8 by ComputerBreath
I'd rather be in the Admin part of a company. I don't have to sell the product, but when given the chance I can give the customer the benefits of purchasing a higher quantity at a lower price.

If I have to go door-to-door or visit face-to-face, I get tongue-tied and shy.

Didn't inheirit any selling capabilities from my dad, who could sell the moon as green cheese and people would buy it and believe it until they took a bite of it.

24 May 2011 16:00 #9 by Blazer Bob

Becky wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote: I'm great in sales as long as I believe in, and love, the product I'm trying to sell. If I don't, I suck and I don't even bother to try.

You have the magic formula right there.
I would normally have hated sales but someone gave me a chance to tell people the truth and sell the best product made at half the price.

Kinda, sorta , not necessarly. Never mind, just putting down a marker if I ever want to visit this and talk about sales. <barf>

24 May 2011 16:11 - 24 May 2011 18:05 #10 by archer
I tried sales, once, when I thought Real Estate sales might be interesting and I was looking for something to do while I still stayed home with my kids. Bad choice, I couldn't refrain from telling people the bad things about houses we looked at as well as the good....and found keeping certain things to myself, because the law required it, was too much of a burden. That foray into sales lasted about 9 months.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds