What The Computer Says About Who We Are

25 May 2011 22:00 #1 by ScienceChic
What might this mean for our future, when many are calling for a return to more simplified, localized, organic ways of life? Will there be a shift in our priorities, or will we find some way to improve technology so that it doesn't require the resources that it does today?

http://blogs.nature.com/soapbox_science ... id=FBK_NPG
What The Computer Says About Who We Are
Posted by Soapbox Editor on May 25, 2011

You can tell a lot about the sort of creature we think we are, by the value we place on the things we make. In October 2010, the Economist staged an on-line debate on the most important technological innovation of the 20th century. The challengers: the digital computer and the artificial fertiliser. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the computer won by a margin of 3-to-1. Why was this result not surprising? After all, the artificial fertiliser is arguably the invention most responsible for a fourfold growth in the world's population over the past century, as well as cutting the proportion of suffering from malnutrition by at least two-thirds. It would be difficult to think of another product of human ingenuity that has had such deep and lasting benefits for so many people.

Yet, the computer won - even though its development has tracked and in some cases amplified, global class divisions. ...over the ten days of debate it became clear that the computer was bound to win because, for better or worse, we identify more strongly with the extension than the conservation of human potential.

A new book by the media theorist David Berry, The Philosophy of Software, Amazon explores the implications of this development in terms of such computer-based technologies as iPhones and iPads that increasingly constitute the human life-world.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2011 22:55 #2 by otisptoadwater

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

26 May 2011 08:19 #3 by Rockdoc
To see where we are going you need look no further than sci fi. Computers remain an extension of our well being and reliance on rapid-pace calculations for decision making. I only hope man will retain some means of independent thought rather than becoming a cyborg.

26 May 2011 09:23 #4 by major bean
The concept of "most important" technological development is a non-starter. This shows quite a bit of shallow thinking. As an example let us consider all of the wonderful artificial fertilizer (U.S. spelling, to hell with the U.K.) without modern transportation. Then consider the modern computer without the communication satellite.

I say that there is no "most important" technological development. Adancement is interdependent. Comparisons are nothing but smugness and political posturing.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds